U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 PM

10 posts, read 19,976 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are going to be stationed at Langley, but we're not sure about where we want to live. It's frustrating because we have to figure it out BEFORE we move there, so I was hoping you could give me some advice. What would be the best place to live that's within 20 minutes to Langley? We're looking into apartments/townhouses, but a house would be a huge plus. We're renting, and our max is probably 900. Oh, and we don't have any kids, just a cat.
Thank you for any input you can give me. (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:39 PM

Oh, I almost forgot... we've been looking into these apartments, so if you could tell me anything about it, positive or negative, that would really help us out.

New Hampton Commons Apartments - Managed by Drucker and Falk, LLC

Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 AM

45 posts, read 150,644 times
Here goes some rental properties near Langley AFB and within your price range:
1100 Bethel Ave (single family, 1044 sqft, rental $775, POC: Bonita Hunter 890-0052)
123 Eberly Terrace ($795, POC: Herbie Morewitz 873-0841)
31 Clayton Drive ($900, POC: Franchesica middleton 838-9780)

Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,706,444 times
Look in Hampton and Newport News (NORTH Newport News only). Most of the SFH here are older brick ramblers with 2 or 3 br's. If you can swing it, your money will go alot further in an older SFH than an apt. The newer apts prices are just ridiculous!

We do not have many TH in this area - not sure why - but there are some, as well as duplex type homes.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:08 PM

23,022 posts, read 31,991,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Look in Hampton and Newport News (NORTH Newport News only). Most of the SFH here are older brick ramblers with 2 or 3 br's. If you can swing it, your money will go alot further in an older SFH than an apt. The newer apts prices are just ridiculous!

We do not have many TH in this area - not sure why - but there are some, as well as duplex type homes.
Be careful if you plan to look below Mercury Blvd in either city. South of Mercury in NN is pretty much off limits. South of Mercury in Hampton, with exceptions being Downtown and Wythe, is hit or miss.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,907,465 times
Ft Eustis is a nice area, or Williamsburg is pretty safe as well.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post

This is a silly question, but how do I go about finding places like that for rent? I've been looking at craigslist and a few other sites, but I have no idea about how safe the neighborhood is and things like that. We keep finding apartments we like but end up reading horrible reviews about them.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,155,203 times
If you want to rent a house, I would point you to REIN - Real Estate Information Network. At certain times, you can get full access to the site without having to pay. It all depends on what real estate agent is "sponsoring the site" at the time, from what it seems.

If you want to rent an apartment, make sure you read reviews. The Apartment Guide is a good resource.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:33 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,706,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelxsized View Post
This is a silly question, but how do I go about finding places like that for rent? I've been looking at craigslist and a few other sites, but I have no idea about how safe the neighborhood is and things like that. We keep finding apartments we like but end up reading horrible reviews about them.
I know it is so difficult to determine if a neighborhood is good or bad. You might want to try to get a local map - like ADC of the Peninsula area of HR.
The local paper is the Daily Press Hampton Roads, Virginia, news, sports, weather, real estate, jobs and cars from the Daily Press -- dailypress.com.

Finds some homes and come back here and ask us ! Also, try google maps. They now have street level 360 pictures of addresses. Find an address, and look all around from the street - very cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area