U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 PM

21 posts, read 82,584 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My family and I (composed of myself, my mother, and two daughters ages 4 and 8) are looking to relocate to your area. I just have some ?s about the area.
1. What are the general attitudes of the local folk? Are people open to accept newcomers?
2. Do the children in public schools wear uniforms at all?
3. What is the environment like as far as allergies that are the most common and how is the humidity there?
Any answers would be awesome!
Thanks everyone, treu79 from MN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 AM

328 posts, read 1,403,078 times
Pollen and Humidity are awful here. Like you know how a lot of places cool down at night?
Nope not here, it stays hot and sticky at night too, just like during the day. Pollen is notoriously bad here. I mean if your straight with allergies then that shouldn't be a big deal y'know. But just stating the facts mam. I'll let others chime in on the rest

Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,897,828 times
Pollen is bad in the majority of areas that have humidity. I grew up in Wisconsin and it was bad. I was allergic to grass as a kid...go figure!
If your looking for a house to buy, DM me and I know of a nice one right behind me with a very good elementary school! How's that for hospitality!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:38 PM

161 posts, read 603,761 times
Default Hmm

1. In my experience, people have been less than friendly. People tend to have a false sense of self importance around here, but not everybody. I wouldn't say Va Beach is overly friendly, so you may want to be prepared for that.

2. The public schools do not wear uniforms to my knowledge. I never wore one.

3. Pollen is really bad. I don't have any allergies but I know spring and summer tend to tear up some people. My brother, who lives in Alaska right now, always gets destroyed by some form of allergen whenever he visits... and the previous poster is right, the summer nights usually remain just as humid and sticky as the day (if its humid and sticky that day). Spring, Fall and Winter are not like that though. The nights definitely cool off then.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:59 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,897,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptodream138 View Post
1. In my experience, people have been less than friendly. People tend to have a false sense of self importance around here, but not everybody. I wouldn't say Va Beach is overly friendly, so you may want to be prepared for that.

2. The public schools do not wear uniforms to my knowledge. I never wore one.

3. Pollen is really bad. I don't have any allergies but I know spring and summer tend to tear up some people. My brother, who lives in Alaska right now, always gets destroyed by some form of allergen whenever he visits... and the previous poster is right, the summer nights usually remain just as humid and sticky as the day (if its humid and sticky that day). Spring, Fall and Winter are not like that though. The nights definitely cool off then.

I have seen some public schools with uniform attire. They have been doing this to regulate the amount of "name brand" clothing. I've seen the elementary kids wearing blue slacks/skirts w/white shirts where I used to live and those were public schools. Parents believe it's so much easier to dress their children that way and very economical than the other clothes they've been going broke to buy. http://opi.mt.gov/pdf/safeschool/SchoolUniforms.PDF (broken link)
Alaska w/coast does not have the humidity the midwest and east coast have.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:26 PM

209 posts, read 680,509 times
We need to start a newbies group. lol Anyone that has not worn sandals during November can join. What do you guys thing?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:59 PM

30 posts, read 78,679 times
As far as the humidity in HR, its not diff than anywhere else in the Summer months. Not as bad as the NY/NJ tristate area. Mostly everyone has central air, which is the answer to humidity. If you have allergys this area is bad with all the pollen. Hanging out at the beach is the alternative and a good allergy medication.

The public school do not wear uniforms in Virginia Beach, (only private). Although there is a bill on the table for Norfolk public schools about implementing uniforms in public schools.

Im from New Jersey and people up north are not friendly. I have lived in VB for 10 years and feel folks hear are friendly. If you see someone and look in there face, speak. I betcha they will speak back. Being friendly is a 2 way street.

YES! the locals are open to newcomers, Virginia Beach and the rest of the 6 cities that make up Hampton roads are. Hampton Roads is a military community, as we have the largest naval base in the WORLD located in Norfolk. With this area being saturated with Military (it is what makes up the majority of city revenue aside from the tourism), new comers are a common staple. We welcome you and your family.

Enjoy!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,702,308 times
Having been born and raised in NoVa, I have found this area much friendlier - so I guess it depends on where you live now. This probably has to do with all the military around, many people coming and going all the time so we are used to it.

Summer is hot and humid, but not as bad as further south. Winters are much milder than the north (it can get cold) but rarely ever scarves, hat, and gloves cold.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 AM

18 posts, read 42,688 times
If you are relocation to this area, please keep one thing in mind.

It’s a beautiful town, but the people from here suck.

I also relocated here from Brooklyn and found this to be Hillbilly country.

They are all back stabbers and will rat you out in a minute.

They will not help you unless they get something in return.

They don’t know what good food is.

They have no morals or self-respect.

They would rather buy a six-pack of Beer before they buy a gallon of Milk for their children.

They all drink beer the minute they get home and they think it's cool.

They have no loyalty to their employer and will leave the company for a 25-cent increase if offered by another company.

They are not friendly and will not go out of their way for anyone.

They can't drive to save their life.

To sum it, Hamptonroads SUCKS

Old 10-17-2009, 12:17 PM

159 posts, read 463,304 times
1. What are the general attitudes of the local folk? Are people open to accept newcomers?

People are pretty accepting here. Most people who live here are from somewhere else so you should be feel pretty welcomed. Beware though, the majority of the residents here aren't too friendly. I've lived here all my life and still havent figured that one out

2. Do the children in public schools wear uniforms at all?

No uniforms that I know of. I work in the school system as an athletic coach and most if not all the school in Va Beach are decent. I'd stay away from Bayside and Green Run though (i DREAD going to those schools for away games. The spectators there are RUDE)

3. What is the environment like as far as allergies that are the most common and how is the humidity there?

Pollen is BAD. i have allergies and they only act up when the seasons change. I love it here in the spring though. The humidity isnt that bad, but I'm from here so I guess I'm used to it. If you put lotion on, it does melt off you as soon as you go outside if its hot (it's gross). It does get pretty hot in the summer but this past summer was oddly cooler than normal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or