U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 AM

88 posts, read 221,971 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 32,673 times
The neighborhood is safe. There are two elementary schools - Larchmont and St Patrick's, both on Bolling Ave. The area feeds into Blair Middle and Maury High.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,342,824 times
My sister has lived there for over 30 years here is her reply....

We have resided in Larchmont for over 30 years. We have a nice Cape-Cod
house on one of the main streets in Larchmont. They are currently
constructing a new Recreation Center at ODU that the residents will be able
to join. We have a public 9-hole golf course/driving range.
We have raised 3 children that have attended the 3 neighborhood public
schools and 2 of them have attended UVA and VA Tech colleges.The elementary
school (Larchmont) is within a mile and our children walked there. There
is also a variety of private schools that are attended by residents in
Larchmont, one is in our neighborhood, and is St. Patricks Catholic School
(grades k-8)
The middle school (Blair) is in the Ghent neighborhood, and the kids ride
a bus. It has just completed a major renovation and is state of the art,
Our high school (Maury) is also in Ghent and the kids catch a bus there.
It offers many advanced courses for the college bound student and several
off campus offerings in Medical and technology fields. They have many clubs
and sports that kids can get involved in.
It has been our experience that most of the kids that attend Larchmont
Elem. together, stay together all the way through high school, and even
then, some go to the same colleges after that! All of the schools are
diverse in their population, with military families, and different ethnic
groups attending Old Dominion Univ. (which is also in our neighborhood) We
have Asian, Middle Eastern, European, etc. attending the university and
their children go to our schools.
In the past 10 years , there has been 1 major house break-in, and a
couple of cars being vandalized in our immediate block. WE feel perfectly
safe walking around our neighborhood at night, all of the neighbors are
friendly and a lot of the families have had many generations living in the
same area and going to the same schools

WE have a good Civic League that has regular meetings and their website
is:Larchmont-Edgewater Civic League. This website also gives, facts, history, and
contact info for the neighborhood.
They also list crime statistics through the Norfolk Police Dept

Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 PM

3 posts, read 12,371 times
My comments are based on my experience being a fairly new homeowner in Larchmont. I used to have disdain for folks who like living in gated communities out in the 'burbs or boonies, because they rather put up with long commutes in heavy traffic than live in a "diverse" urban neighborhood. Now after a few years of living in Larchmont I can understand the appeal of being sheltered from the undesirable elements who live in the "projects" only a mile or two away south and east of Old Dominion Univ. These folks come into Larchmont and steal things from garages, porches and unlocked cars. The sagging economy and high gas prices have made things worse recently.
Overall, I am not impressed with the local community police rep assigned to the neighborhood. There was a rape or sexual assault (husband locked in the closet while his wife was attacked) only a few blocks away several years ago and no info was put out to the neighborhood to warn us to be on guard since the perpetrator was still on the loose. Perhaps it was out of respect for the poor lady and her family's privacy, but the police or neighborhood civic league should have issued some sort of info bulletin following a serious crime like that. I would like to have more active civil and police patrols, as well as more signage to deter criminals.
As for schools, I hear Larchmont Elementary has gone down the tubes and suffered a brain drain among teachers and students since the catholic shool opened. We loved Larchmont elem when our kids attended it, despite the presence of some mini-hoodlums who came from the "projects" and caused problems in the classroom because they lacked a stable and positive family environment.

I know my comments aren't exactly positive, but we actually enjoy living in Larchmont for the most part and believe the pros outweigh the cons. I must say that one of the downsides is the presence of snooty types (why???!! it's just Norfolk - considered to be the armpit of the Navy) who are stuck in the 1950s and content to be insular and parochial. In their defense, the city is pretty segregated socially and professionally, because there is no visible black middle class, so the only exposure to black americans most people in Norfolk/Larchmont/Ghent have are those from the lower socio-economic sphere who commit crimes or cause trouble at school.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 AM

This is pretty much exactly what I'm afraid of. Although Larchmont looks very nice, the neighboring areas don't.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 32,673 times
What are you looking at as alternatives? In spite of its few drawbacks, the neighborhood has a lot going for it, and you could do much worse.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 AM

I dont really have any alternatives at this point. Living on the 'south side' just seems like a bad move in my book. I see high crime rates and limited school choices. I'm beginning to think this is not the area I need to be in.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 10,290 times
Norfolk sucks! It's filthy & smelly & so are it's police department.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,900,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph rocks View Post
Norfolk sucks! It's filthy & smelly & so are it's police department.
get a speeding ticket?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:56 PM

8,578 posts, read 5,705,574 times
Default south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwz26 View Post
I dont really have any alternatives at this point. Living on the 'south side' just seems like a bad move in my book. I see high crime rates and limited school choices. I'm beginning to think this is not the area I need to be in.
But there are tough areas on/in the peninsula too. Some more than others. I realize it's not an easy decision, but don't write off all of the south side just yet. Have you thought of using a real estate agent to help you make some of your comparisons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area