U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 05:54 PM

1,335 posts, read 4,235,743 times

Advertisements

What is life like in virignia beach for single young professionals? is there any nightlife, things to do, lots of young people out and about? What is the job market like? what fields are strong there? Is it basically a navy town or what? thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:37 AM

275 posts, read 762,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
What is life like in virignia beach for single young professionals? is there any nightlife, things to do, lots of young people out and about? What is the job market like? what fields are strong there? Is it basically a navy town or what? thanks
From one young professional to another.

A lot of the people in our generation (20s) head to Granby St., and there's also Town Center. You can find nightclubs, bars, and several restaurants. All in all, it's fairly decent.

The job market leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm guessing that's happening nationwide with the economy. I know last year, one of the financial magazines rated this area one of the worst areas for a young professional out of college. I don't know how much that has changed, but with the cost-of-living out of this world (for this area), I doubt if it did. Last I checked, computers are still the strong field to work in, that or maybe the medical field.

This area is known as a military town, but you can still find lots of civilians around here.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,904,302 times
I feel we are pretty lucky in HR with the military community. We don't suffer as badly as other communities that rely solely on the industrial/commercial fields.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,151,232 times
There's a lot of decent jobs that pay pretty well for young professionals. Most of the easy ones to obtain are contract and civilian jobs with the military. I'm one, Erma is another frequent poster here that also works with the military.

As far as the lifestyle here, it's different for the different "clicks." The only warning I give is that if you're new to the area, most "clicks" aren't awaiting new friends with arms wide open... unless you're the supreme social butterfly.

Personally, I get much enjoyment on a Friday night going down to the Oceanfront and laughing at the drunks and tourists... and singing random funny songs. I also enjoy going to Flipper McCoy's because they have some nice arcade games (and not to mention, their new DDR Machine is the greatest) and they're open until like 1am.

And Virginia Beach is most definitely a Navy town. The entire area of Hampton Roads is a giant Military and Military-Friendly Community. I'm almost surprised that we haven't had protests with every branch of the military being here.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,705,088 times
I would say that outside of the military, the medical field is very strong. Cost of living here is average - not too high, and not cheap. Banking and customer service (call center type) are also big.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM

285 posts, read 598,418 times
Because of the large numbers of military spouses (constant influx of new people to hire), the pay tends to be lower than in other parts of the state in my opinion.

Lori

Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,904,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Virginia View Post
Because of the large numbers of military spouses (constant influx of new people to hire), the pay tends to be lower than in other parts of the state in my opinion.

Lori
Oh I would think it depends on what you're expertise is, also cost of living, if you think about how expensive northern virginia is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area