U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 9,022 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are looking to move in November. We've just added Virginia Beach to our list of places to check out.

Wondering what the nightlife is like. We are mid 20s, single.

Also, how is the music scene? Decent local bands? Cover charges for everything? Good places to see more well known bands, etc?

Thanks for any feedback!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,897,828 times
Alot of young folks have been seen at Abbey Road Pub at the beach. Depends on what kind of music you like. NORVA always has some type of head banging band happening and once in awhile someone cool (for my age group).

Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM

161 posts, read 603,761 times
There are numerous bars/"clubs" at the Beach on Atlantic and surrounding streets.

Norfolk has a huge nightlife centered by restaurants and bars. Norfolk has recently started getting recognized for culinary stuff, actually. A lot of these "hip" restaurants double as nightlife.

There is a huge rap/hip hop music scene here. I'm not really into that too much so I can't comment on if it's decent but for the rock/alternative scene...in my opinion it sucks. I think the local bands are quite horrendous, actually.

There aren't too many places larger bands go to in Virginia Beach except for the Amphitheater. Steppin' Out has been booking some more lesser known metal acts, etc. but I haven't been there.

Norfolk has the Norva, which is pretty much the main drawing place for bands of all kinds. There is also the Pavilion in Portsmouth, and Chrysler Hall (in Norfolk) occasionally books mainstream acts. People used to go the Boathouse all the time but it got destroyed in a hurricane.

Since Richmond has opened up a couple new places for bands, it feels like the touring has begun to get evenly distributed across VA (from DC, Richmond to here). I travel to see bands so you may end up doing the same, but it's not bad.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:20 AM

The Virginia Beach amphitheater has bands as well. I personally don't travel to see bands, as I travel for my job and normally I find something worth seeing wherever I'm at. This Friday, Trace Atkins is doing a free concert at Little Creek Amphib base and August 8th is Gretchen Wilson. There are a few other artist that put on free shows at the bases and are open to the public.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:16 AM

80 posts, read 344,408 times
Nightlife in Virginia Beach seems to center around the oceanfront. If you like music of the "booty shaking" variety, you'll find a lot of that between 17th-23rd. There's random night clubs here and there all over Virginia Beach, but I guess it just depends on personal preference.

Norfolk's nightlife is a lot more booming in my opinion. I used to work in downtown a year ago and noticed this. Lots of clubs come and go though. I'm pretty sure a few locations went through two different owners/names in the span of six months. Go check out the Boot. I can't say that I've tried the food and I rarely attend the shows, but they have the most diverse event schedule in the area: The Boot - 123 W. 21st St - Norfolk Restaurant Week July 20-27

As for local acts, I don't know what to say. There's a sizable hip hop community, but there's also a big "indie rock" scene as well. However, there's also a lot of cover bands, which makes me think that local musicians here aren't creative enough to make something of their ownl.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermarketFantasy View Post
As for local acts, I don't know what to say. There's a sizable hip hop community, but there's also a big "indie rock" scene as well. However, there's also a lot of cover bands, which makes me think that local musicians here aren't creative enough to make something of their ownl.
Oh contrar..the folk music is big in the local pubs. White Horse Saloon has numerous folk as well as Abby Road Pub. Both places have great food to boot. Virginia Beach library has a nice little theater in it as well. There are many local musicians who have their own music out there and sell their cd's at their shows. Remember, Juice Newton was a local musician who made it big on the country scene in the 70's & 80's.
Steppin Out, Green Parrot and Hot Tuna all have bands in their places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or