U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,052 times

Advertisements

Unless most of the southside merges into one large city and figures out how to attract some major corporate presence, nope, we wont be getting anything. The only city willing to ever play ball is Norfolk, and they dont have the funds,space, or tax base to support anything more then minor league sports. That isnt even addressing the media market size.

As for expansion, there are a number of cities that do not have pro sports teams in each sport that are far better qualified to handle it and would get awarded an expansion or be the target of relocation first.

For instance, Seattle, which unfairly lost the Sonics, only has two teams, dispite being the 15th largest metro area. Portland only has the Blazers at 23, Sacremento at 25 only has the Kings, Orlando only has the Magic and San Antonio the Spurs, and Vegas has nothing, and all of these metro areas have about half a million more residents then Hampton Roads, bigger central cities, and significantly more corporate presence.

If we are talking just basketball, Id say the following cities would probably be better

New York, a second team
Chicago, a second team
Seattle, a new team
San Diego
St. Louis
Baltimore
Tampa
Pittsburgh
Kansas City
Las Vegas
San Jose
Jacksonville, FL
Richmond, VA
Hartford, CT
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
As much as I would love a pro sports team here, I have to agree with many of the people above. While our population number should support a major league team, our population is largely transient due to the military so I don't think we would get the same loyalty as other cities. Many would probably only go to a game if their favorite team was in town. I went to a Tides game and saw more jackets/hats for the Providence Red Sox than the Norfolk Tides. Plus since we are split up into seven cities most people in the country probably don't know where Hampton Roads is.

In addition, we do not have the prevailing income to routinely fill an NBA, NHL, or MLB stadium night after night. We can hardly draw 6k a game to the Tides. Its not exclusively about population, its also if that population can afford to go to a game, and Im sorry, 90% of Norfolk, Portsmouth, Newport News, and Hampton cannot afford it. Realistically, you are probably talking about maybe 1/4 of the Hampton Roads population with enough disposable income to even consider going to a couple games a year. Out of those, you need to have them actually even be interested in going to the game in the first place. I have a feeling if we got an NBA team, we would have game after game of crowds between 1500 and maybe up to 6000 if they played the Cavs, Lakers, Celtics, Knicks or some other team with a huge national following.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 AM

2,016 posts, read 2,885,254 times
I think the only hope Hampton Roads has of a professional team is an NFL team. I'm not even sure we could handle that. But only 8 home games a year is about the most hope we have. No way could we fill the stands 81 games (MLB) or the 40+ games that are played at home for a basketball/hockey team.

But with football or any sport for that matter you have luxury suites that really help out the team financially. I don't think we have enough corporate companies around here that could buy all the suites up. Especially in this economic crisis.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:59 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,202,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater_boy21 View Post
Do you all think Norfolk will ever get a major pro team
No I do not think that Norfolk will ever get a major pro team. They tried it back then, but they dismissed it.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM

267 posts, read 1,230,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
That isnt even addressing the media market size.
Even though I have said otherwise in the past, the more I think of it I doubt that the Hampton Roads media market would be marked as negative as far as getting a pro-team.

1. Buffalo, Jacksonville. Memphis and New Orleans ( before Katrina ) are actually smaller TV markets than Hampton Roads...and all of them do have pro teams. Last I checked Oklahoma City was smaller than Hampton Roads and I don't recall the NBA ever making an issue out of that with their decision of moving Seatlle's team to that market.

2. For the most part the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB tend to favor markets who have at least one local station that is owned by a major TV network and Hampton Roads has that as WGNT CW 27 is owned by CBS.

3. WAVY/FOX 43 and WVEC are owned by Belo and LIN, both major companies in broadcasting not some tiny mom/pop operation though Bruce Rader & Don Slater at times can make WAVY seem like a "small town station".

4. By being the only pro-sport in the region not too mention the state, in the event Hampton Roads does get a team as far as coverage is concerned it wouldn't too difficult to say for stations in Richmond, the Outer Banks, Charlottesville, Roanoke or even the Maryland Eastern Shore to air the games.

Of course there is a downside..Hampton Roads does lack a 50,000 watt clear channel AM radio station that can reach many states like Richmond who has WRVA-AM but that is so small a negative. Then again Hampton Roads does sport Z104 and WGH-FM 97.3 and those stations can reach as far away as Fredericksburg so that more than makes up for the lack of a local WRVA or WBT.

Last edited by billybobwv; 01-29-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 PM

267 posts, read 1,230,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFGebo View Post
I doubt we will. I think this has been discussed time and time again.

If memory serves, we were in consideration for both the NBA (Hornets transfer I think) and MLB (Nationals) but were quickly eliminated.
As far as the Hornets went, Norfolk wasn't exactly "quickly eliminated" as I can recall both the NBA commish David Stern and Hornets owner George Shinn both really wanted to move the Hornets to Norfolk. However the problem was the Norfolk Scope and that arena was too small for the NBA. However within a matter of weeks Norfolk did get their act together even the money in place for the "Smithfield Foods Arena" but the Hornets had to leave Charlotte FAST and New Orleans had an arena already in place so the team went to New Orleans instead. Actually the only other city who was interested in the Hornets besides Norfolk and New Orleans was Louisville but they are a big college basketball market and I believe that played against them ( been a long time ).

Had DC not been in the running, I believe Norfolk would have gotten the Expos. Besides other than Northern Virginia and I think Portland, OR, I don't recall anybody else who were interested in the Expos.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,788 times
Quote:
Unless most of the southside merges into one large city and figures out how to attract some major corporate presence, nope, we wont be getting anything. The only city willing to ever play ball is Norfolk, and they dont have the funds,space, or tax base to support anything more then minor league sports. That isnt even addressing the media market size.

As for expansion, there are a number of cities that do not have pro sports teams in each sport that are far better qualified to handle it and would get awarded an expansion or be the target of relocation first.

For instance, Seattle, which unfairly lost the Sonics, only has two teams, dispite being the 15th largest metro area. Portland only has the Blazers at 23, Sacremento at 25 only has the Kings, Orlando only has the Magic and San Antonio the Spurs, and Vegas has nothing, and all of these metro areas have about half a million more residents then Hampton Roads, bigger central cities, and significantly more corporate presence.

If we are talking just basketball, Id say the following cities would probably be better

New York, a second team
Chicago, a second team
Seattle, a new team
San Diego
St. Louis
Baltimore
Tampa
Pittsburgh
Kansas City
Las Vegas
San Jose
Jacksonville, FL
Richmond, VA
Hartford, CT
Did I just catch you "peppering in" Richmond as a better market?? C'mon now..

Truthfully, I believe the better question to ask in this scenario is can Norfolk attract and "keep" a pro sports franchise. Seems like these days all you need is a new arena and a decently sized population, and you got ya self a team! At least for a little while. Look at why metros are losing teams. They want new arenas. A lot of these franchises seem to take advantage of their homes by requiring a new house every damn season! You can bet if Norfolk had a new arena(and trust, Norfolk will do it), their would have been a team there yesterday!

Last edited by Titoroski; 12-12-2010 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: grammer check

Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,202,148 times
I think that VA can get a pro team but it would not be from Hampton Roads because there are a lot of people from the military. This means that they are already a fan of a team from their hometown.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,750,102 times
Quote:

New York, a second team
Chicago, a second team
Seattle, a new team
San Diego
St. Louis
Baltimore
Tampa
Pittsburgh
Kansas City
Las Vegas
San Jose
Jacksonville, FL
Richmond, VA
Hartford, CT
This list is completely bogus and i know you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or