Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 PM

162 posts, read 801,285 times

Advertisements

So Anheuser Busch is being sold and word has it the new company will probably unload the Busch amusement parks. Who do you think would be a good new owner of Busch Gardens and/or Water Country USA?

I'm thinking Disney!

People might balk at the Mouse coming here, but back in the 1990's, Disney wanted to build Disney's America in Virginia and it fell through because of opposition from locals.

If Disney played their cards right, they could redo their "America" themepark right in Williamsburg by buying Busch Gardens.

A Virginia blogger has written about the possibility and has some great ideas. Revive “Disney’s America” in Virginia! « Virginia Virtucon

Think of the tourism boost to Williamsburg. And Disney is the only company I can think of that would maintain the grounds of Busch Gardens as beautifully as Busch Gardens itself has done all these years.

Who knows? We may even get our much desired third bridge-tunnel built because the southside would want some of those tourism dollars. Heck, maybe Disney could build a Disney Quest (5 story arcade complex) on the old Dome site at the VB Oceanfront.

Any other ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:47 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,446,265 times
I would be hoping Disney, but there are other theme park owners that may want to bid on it as well. who owns Kings Dominion?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 PM

162 posts, read 801,285 times
Kings Dominion is now owned by Cedar Fair, who owns Cedar Point in Ohio.

We went to Kings Dominion back in June and noticed how Kings Dominion is not very clean compared to BG. I don't know if they'd keep up the appearance of Busch Gardens or not.

That being said, they might add even more thrill rides. I just don't know if they'd have the regional appeal of Disney.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:39 PM

165 posts, read 548,441 times
I hope they keep it so it doesn't look sloppy like KD or Six Flags. AB ran a pretty nice entertainment wing.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:35 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,055,596 times
My husband's boss is on some economic development board here in Williamsburg and apparently Disney did come up and take a look at the BG parks but nothing else has been said. I know that it was rumored a few years back that they really wanted to build a park similar to Sea World (in Orlando) but had some opposition from locals there about having too many parks in one area, so Disney backed off. It would be awesome if Disney did buy the BG parks but Disney likes to expand and I'm not sure how much they could expand and build at the current BG locations.
We shall see!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 AM

The Dark Country in Tampa...would that be sold as well?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 AM

8 posts, read 29,556 times
I just hope it is purchased and maintained as a theme park. I moved here from Nashville and was pretty distressed when they sold Opryland and replaced it with a mall. More money.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:04 AM

165 posts, read 516,068 times
Rumor has it that Busch is going to purchase the parks back so something of the Busch legacy remains.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,161,761 times
I truly hope that our Busch Gardens does not change. I mean think about it, the park has been named the Most Beautiful Theme Park how many consecutive years now? A LOT!

Busch Gardens should remain who they are. The now-owners of Anheuser-Busch should look at keeping the amusement park the way it is now - it's a great money maker.

I will have to say though... I am rather mad about the whole selling of the company...

Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 AM

I wish the new owners keep everything just the way it is, same workers, same entertainment, same way of doing business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area