Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 AM

69 posts, read 232,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Everybody says hi to one another because it is the custom, not because they want to say hi to everyone.
you know.. i once dated a guy from NYC and he was forever saying "hi" and asking how people were.. even strangers we'd pass on the street. i'm VA native so that was pretty odd to me! it's kinda like around here you are taught to keep to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:56 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Wow I like the way you put it for Va Beach not to sound boring. Maybe for you is not boring because you are from here. However my friends that I have from other states would concur with me in that the Hampton Roads is very boring. Moreover, the people from here do not care as well. People here are fake. At least in NYC people are real. Everybody says hi to one another because it is the custom, not because they want to say hi to everyone. Also many people would say "Hi How are you" just because it is required, to make the customer come back again. So you were saying people care here?.... I don't think so. People here are fake. They say Hi to everyoone just to say it not because they mean to. At least up North people will not say hi to you if they are vexed. Meaning that they will show how they are truly feeling. So....
I am NOT from Hampton Roads! Born and raised in the north midwest. People here are NOT fake and I can not understand why you would say people in NYC are real. They may have come to a realization after 9-11, and the devastation of the lives lost, but before that, they were manicans. You couldn't get a person to come forth to help if an old man was getting beat up in the street. As I've stated previously, I travel the world and if you can say this place is boring, you're not getting out enough. There is so much to see and appreciate.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,200 times
I agree erma.
Good post.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:58 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairi2 View Post
you know.. i once dated a guy from NYC and he was forever saying "hi" and asking how people were.. even strangers we'd pass on the street. i'm VA native so that was pretty odd to me! it's kinda like around here you are taught to keep to yourself.
are you inventing things now? Because there is nobody from NYC that is like that...

Old 08-16-2009, 03:00 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I am NOT from Hampton Roads! Born and raised in the north midwest. People here are NOT fake and I can not understand why you would say people in NYC are real. They may have come to a realization after 9-11, and the devastation of the lives lost, but before that, they were manicans. You couldn't get a person to come forth to help if an old man was getting beat up in the street. As I've stated previously, I travel the world and if you can say this place is boring, you're not getting out enough. There is so much to see and appreciate.
I see that you are so obsessed with the Hampton Roads.. Because there isn't much here. Also, you stated that people would get beat down in NYC and nobody would say anything. Of course not, we do not snitch on people like in Hampton Roads.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,376 times
Quote:
I see that you are so obsessed with the Hampton Roads.. Because there isn't much here. Also, you stated that people would get beat down in NYC and nobody would say anything. Of course not, we do not snitch on people like in Hampton Roads.
Hahaha, bravo. This is some of the most effective trolling that I've seen posted on here thus far today!

My only complaint, thus far, about hampton roads is that all the really entertaining things I see going on outside my window require a fair amount of money for me to join in. They say the two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it, though, so maybe I'll stick to the cultural events around here.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 AM

290 posts, read 1,159,570 times
NYC is overrated in so many ways, you can in live in cities much smaller in size and get the same. And im not a fan of HR either, but NYC cmon now. I love SOHO Manhattan (and would live there) but outside of that you can have that dump.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:08 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
NYC is overrated in so many ways, you can in live in cities much smaller in size and get the same. And im not a fan of HR either, but NYC cmon now. I love SOHO Manhattan (and would live there) but outside of that you can have that dump.
There is no place in the USA you can get Manhattan. Please dont hand anyone that.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
There is no place in the USA you can get Manhattan. Please dont hand anyone that.
Plenty of them. Manhattan is great, sure. But the only difference between Manhattan and Any other urban place, U.S.A. is the shopping and advertisements and lights. And none of that appeals to me.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:56 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Plenty of them. Manhattan is great, sure. But the only difference between Manhattan and Any other urban place, U.S.A. is the shopping and advertisements and lights. And none of that appeals to me.

Are you kidding me? Broadway? World Class Museums? Cutting edge everything? Top entertainment acts? Live music on every corner? A world class public transportation system? Monument after monument? A half a dozen professional sports teams within 15 minutes travel?

You have never been to Manhattan if you think its "just like any other urban place".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area