Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 15,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldeng4022 View Post
Well, I can't really blame you for a lot of the things you mentioned. However, much of what you mention are the same situations you'll run into most everywhere you go. There really is a lot of great things to do and see here. That's why I came back after living here for 4 years, moving back home (TX) and then moving back. I like most parts of it here except one thing. Now I know that this is going to come across as a raciest pig and I'm sorry that it does but here it is. There are far too many blacks congretated in one small area. There, I said it. Not PC but I mean it. Let me explain why I say that before you send me a KKK aplication. (BTW, they are the most ignorant people I've ever met!)
My reason is simple. I personally disagree with a large part of their values. Not all of course. Many, many are absoutly wonderful people that I am proud to know and be considered as their friend. I just have a problem with what "most" seem to believe in that we white persons must be PC and provide assistance to them while continuing to be the main source of our crime. Why? Because they are "expected" to be the major source of our crime and they feel obligated to do it. This is a right of passage for many of them in order to impress their peers. We (whites) are supposed to feel sorry for them because some of our ancestors owned them as slaves. (Mine never did) I personally think that was a deplorable act that many of our forefathers commited. However, I owe no repariations. This wonderful United States gives all of us equal opportunity to obtain an education and to try to better ourselves. Fifty years ago, the black may have had an excuse but not today. Today, if you elect to sell crack, treat women like "hos", suck off the system and knock up ugly fat white girls or crack addicted black gals, then you deserve what you get. On the other hand, you try to better yourself and try to contribute to our society, I personally am here to help you along. BTW, this also goes for the white trash out there too.
No, my problem is that we have too many black folks here to turn the tide. It is too deep rooted here. There is no convincing many that their destany is in there own hands. If the saturation were less, there might be more examples for our young African-american childeren to see role models to immulate for good purposes. There are many, many proud, hard working, educated African Americans doing their all to contribute and to raise their offspring to do the same. I wish them all the good graces that God will give. However, for every wonderful family that tries to raise their children to put race as a negative thing behind them, you have 3 angry, illiterate, and ignorant ******s to try to pull them away from their God given right to be a respected citizen of these wonderful United states.
Don't get me wrong. White is not "the superior race". By no means. It is that we are fortunate that the percentage to those with higher morals and expectations somewhat out weighs those of African-Americans. That is unfortunate for all those really great people. I wish them the very best. But as I stated earlier, they are at a disadvantage. There are too many blacks here for this to be a productive city.

You watch way to much TV.. I am black.. born and raised inwhat is commonly called the ghetto in an area of Boston called Robury.. I went to college.. and I am married and have 2 kids.. The funny thing about your commit, is that it is the typical, let me let TV determine what I know about a group of people. I am not the exception as you would probally like to believe. Just about every single one of my black friends, are college educated. We are not ignorant, nor is the majority in that boat. The problem is the perceived image that is projected, and those white folk who are willing to believe it. Because of it, self fullfilling prohecies tend to abound. Example.. When black move into an area, they do not have any intention of bringing down the house value, however the white folks in the area believe that would be the case so they start moving out. The local business see this and so they follow suit. Now you have a bunch of empty lots just sitting. So no one wants to move into the area, and then the values starts dropping. I know this because it is what I am experiencing now. My wife and I do all we can to improve the value of the property we live on, and so do the other black families we know. On any given saturday morning you can find a number of black people shopping in Lowes and Home depot. One last example.

We are christians and attend a popular church here in Columbus Ohio. My wife worked in one of the ministries at the church. She came home one day to tell that during a metting they had, they were discussing why so many whites were living the church. She said the CFO went on to explain that the white thought to many black were coming to the church, and that they would bring down the value of the church. WHAT, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. These folks claim to love the lord, but then stick up their nose to other children of GOD, because of their skin color.. We still have a very, very long ways to go in this country when it comes to racist attitudes, and Holywood is not helping. I know a lot of black families, that have both dad and mom, college educated, and are not IGNORANT. However weldeng4022.. I believe you are the ignorant one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 07:59 PM

162 posts, read 657,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown1225 View Post
I've been in Hampton Roads for 4 years and I really dislike this area for the reasons listed..

1. Why in the HE!! do people slow down when they're about to go to the HRBT! C'mon it's only a tunnel it's not that serious.

2. If I see another driver in front of me turn without using their turn signal I think I will catch a serious case of road rage and have to take a charge for assault lol!

3. For the people that live in Newport News and Hampton. How in the He!! do you live in the area all your life but never go across the water. I mean there's more to this area beside the Peninsula.

4. Too much ghetto trash within the area. I came from pretty much a seedy area of Brooklyn but the people out here seem to be 25 years behind, Why would you not expose yourself to different things. You rather stay in your area and have 8-10 kids by time your 30 years old (damaged Goods)

5. Lack Of Cultural Diversity, Lack of Museums, Theatre, Not Pedestrian Friendly and It's just too slow for me. I'm tired of the fact everything shuts down at 2AM I'm used to staying out in NY until Daylight in the Summertime which is at least 6AM.

6. I can't get a Good Boar's Head Turkey and Cheese Hero.

In Conclusion the reason why I came to VA was basically for a change of pace. I have family out here so they helped me out. I received my Driver's license and once I finish college (August 09) I'm outta here I'm going to DC, Charlotte, NC or back to NY
Are we related?!?!?!

I go through the Mid-Town and it's the exact same way... even if nobody is in front of them, they feel the need to brake! What's even worse is they brake THE WHOLE WAY DOWN!

I agree with the blinker. It's not that hard to use one. If you're ever in front of me, turn and in return find an ear full of horn, you'll know it's me

Ghetto? Yes, it's very ghetto around many of the areas around here. I don't understand it.

How many more years do I have left here?

Old 02-15-2009, 05:15 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
Are we related?!?!?!

I go through the Mid-Town and it's the exact same way... even if nobody is in front of them, they feel the need to brake! What's even worse is they brake THE WHOLE WAY DOWN!

I agree with the blinker. It's not that hard to use one. If you're ever in front of me, turn and in return find an ear full of horn, you'll know it's me

Ghetto? Yes, it's very ghetto around many of the areas around here. I don't understand it.

How many more years do I have left here?
You chose it... I for one will be waiting, when you relocate and come back here and say ...."boy do I miss Hampton Roads!"

Old 02-15-2009, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 9,225 times
Default Congratulations!

Mr RUKIDENME,

Congrtatulations on your college education and also to your black friends. You are of course proud of your accomplishments; as you should be. Also, I appreciate your reply. I note that my post has been read over 350 times with only 3 (now) responses. One of which agrees with me (black and lives in the area). Another where race is not revealed but was only literate enough to respond by claiming my opinion was a joke. Apperaently he/she did not have any viable arguments to what I claim and therefore did not have anything to add. Finally, now, I have your reply which obviously expresses your disagreement with me. Again, I thank you for your insight and response. This tells me that there are probably at least 348 persons that do not disagree with me. If I had to guess, most of those folks live in the area I wrote about.

I would like to provide comment on a few of your statements if I may. My first comment is with regard to the title of the thread. "Things I Hate about Hampton Roads!". It is not intitled "What I hate about Ohio". The reason for this, as you might guess, is that I have no clue what it like to live where you live. I speak to an area where I live. You stated that you and your wife live in Ohio correct? Perhaps you should write about that area.

You will also note that the thread was not entitled, "What I hate about Black people". Again, the reason is because for one, I don't hate, or even dislike black people. I think I was clear that there are a great number of black/African-American (whatever your preference) who live here. I was also clear that I disliked trashy people of both black and white skin. I think what you missed is my dislike for a problem here where the deeply ingrained mentality of many of our black folks here prevent this area to prosper as much as it should be capable of. I'm not going to elaborate as to the reasons why here. I think I was pretty clear in my last post. However, not unlike many of most our black folks here, you have skimmed my post and leaped at the chance to bow up in defense of being a black person. Your post appears to be very defensive and seems to express a deeply ingrained mental philosophy were "whites" are the bad guys. Thats too bad, and unproductive like I've mentioned before.

You mention the scenario where when a black family moves into a predominatly white neighborhood, many of the whites tend to evacuate. You also referred to it as a self-fufilling prophesy. You go on to say that eventually, the white folks move out and you are left with a bunch of vacant lots and closed down stores. Why is that do you suppose? You mentioned that your family and black friends try to contribute to the community and help make it better. I don't doubt that one bit; and God bless you for that! However, why are all of those vacant lots and businesses back filled by all of those good black people like yourselves and friends? Based on what you've shared with the readers is that you are all college educated and good folks. I do believe what you state. However, again I ask you, where are all of those black folks when the whites vacate? I think that if you really think about it, you'll come up with the answer.

If you need help, I'll give you a hint. The answer is, they don't want to live in a predominately black neighborhood. Why? I think you know the answere to that. For that matter, you don't either. You went off to aquire your college education. Once you acheived it, you got a good job, made money and opted to move into a predominately white neighborhood. Am I wrong? I believe you also said most of the whites were leaving the church too. Appearently you opted to attend a predominately white church. Why?? You know why. The reason is, when you have a highl concentration of black folks, not even the blacks want to live there. Only those with limited income or on assistance remain because they are not as fortunate as you and your friends. They can not move away to the white neighborhoods where there is less drugs and violent crime.

My friend, I'm afraid your post has somewhat proven my point. It seems that even the hard working, college educated, God fearing and community minded black person does not wish to live where "there are too many blacks here for Hampton Roads to be productive". Now that I have heard and understand your opinion, I'd highly suggest you not move here if you hope to live the way you want to. Again, congratulations to you, your family, and friends in your efforts to improve yourselves and be constructive in your community. You should be proud because as I've stated, your kind is the minority of African Americans, NOT the majority.

My very best to you!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:42 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I hope people don’t take offense, but this is strictly my opinion and from my own experience.

I am native to New York, but grew up in Southern California. However, some 13-14 years ago I lived in the Hampton Roads area. I remember just moving to Virginia Beach. I was only there for a few days when some driver side swipes my car. I was going into a left turn only lane, there were some cars backed up at the light. (I believe that was the intersection of Indian River Road and Kempsville Road. One driver, left a space for this driver who was coming out of some parking lot to drive across lanes to get onto the left turn lane. In doing so, he side swiped my car. I had the right of way. We called the police to make a police report. The police determined that the other driver was at fault, and failed to yield to me. It turned out the driver had a suspended driver’s license and no automobile insurance. That experience left me with a bad impression of drivers in the Hampton Roads area. I’ve had a few close calls. I would say that drivers in the Hampton Roads (okay, I am generalizing and making an opinion only, I know there are many exceptions) are just clueless when they drive. While compared to Southern California, the drivers may be rude and jerks, but they at least know what they are doing (my opinion only- I’m sure there are also many exceptions to that).
How could a suspended liscence and no insurance combined with an accident possibly leave you with a bad impression? I too am a native New Yorker who lived in Southern Ca. for 20 years and that scenario is pretty common out there. The only thing you left out is usually the driver is also undocumented and also inebriated in some way and your insurance company ends up on the hook for repairs.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
If you need help, I'll give you a hint. The answer is, they don't want to live in a predominately black neighborhood. Why? I think you know the answere to that. For that matter, you don't either. You went off to aquire your college education. Once you acheived it, you got a good job, made money and opted to move into a predominately white neighborhood. Am I wrong? I believe you also said most of the whites were leaving the church too. Appearently you opted to attend a predominately white church. Why?? You know why. The reason is, when you have a highl concentration of black folks, not even the blacks want to live there. Only those with limited income or on assistance remain because they are not as fortunate as you and your friends. They can not move away to the white neighborhoods where there is less drugs and violent crime.

I read this statement here and I have to interject, this is not a "black/white" thing. This is an income thing. If you go down in to the deep south, a big fat for instance being Atlanta, GA, you will find predominatley black neighborhoods of high income people, and they do not have a "drug and violent crime" problem, and they have no problem living in a majority black neighborhood, and even often take pride in it. Conversely, there are a number of highly white cities (such as Indianapolis, Indiana, Minneapolis, MN, Las Vegas, NV, Columbus, OH and many large midwest cities), that also have a high rate of lower income people, that have severe problems with crime.

Whites flight is mostly caused by racism. The African American responder stated this very well. To many whites, it does not matter how verbose, educated, or affluent their black neighbor is, they simply dont like them because they are black. Period. The whites leave, dropping the property values (not because there are blacks in some of them, but because there are so many empty), and no other whites move in (possibly because of the dwindling percentage of whites, but likely because of falling home values and a large amount of property for sale in the area).

Property owners then drop the prices, rents, or turn them over to section 8, which allows the poverty stricken to move in. Since something like 35% of blacks are in poverty, and like 25% of latinos are in poverty (the reasons for that being a whole seperate argument), they tend to make up a disproportionate amount of the population depending on rock bottom housing costs. At that point, crime begins to creep up, and then the more affluent blacks leave.

It isnt because they dont want to be in a black neighborhood neccessarily, because if the particular blacks who lived around them didnt have a high crime rate, they wouldnt have a problem with it. However, if low income whites who also exhibit a high crime rate, moved in, the affluent blacks would still leave. They wouldnt hang around just because they were white.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,939 times
Quote:
I note that my post has been read over 350 times with only 3 (now) responses. One of which agrees with me (black and lives in the area). Another where race is not revealed but was only literate enough to respond by claiming my opinion was a joke. Apperaently he/she did not have any viable arguments to what I claim and therefore did not have anything to add.
Your post is a joke, and thats why it hasn't been taken seriously.

Quote:
I think I was pretty clear in my last post.
Yep, when you said things like
Quote:
It is that we are fortunate that the percentage to those with higher morals and expectations somewhat out weighs those of African-Americans.
Its funny because you prefaced the same post saying
Quote:
Let me explain why I say that before you send me a KKK aplication.
Your opinion but, WHO ARE YOU FOOLING? lol

Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 9,225 times
Default Prince... of where?

[quote=PrinceTheo;7486570]"Your post is a joke, and thats why it hasn't been taken seriously."

You must have...."Prince".

You make remarks yet no intelligent argument as RANDOMDUDE has. Actually, I agree, in part, with a good deal of his points.

Thanks RANDOMDUDE for the feedback!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,939 times
Quote:
You must have...."Prince".

You make remarks yet no intelligent argument as RANDOMDUDE has.
Look, I didn't spend an hour behind the keyboard ranting like you did. I already made my point. If you missed it then that's on you. Anyway, no hard feelings. Good day sir

Old 02-18-2009, 04:53 PM

504 posts, read 1,578,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
You chose it... I for one will be waiting, when you relocate and come back here and say ...."boy do I miss Hampton Roads!"
Ha Ha You have a better chance of snow in Miami before that happens.

Maybe when Hampton Roads build some type of mass transit, It might become a viable area. Right now this area is only good for Military and Old people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area