Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 PM

162 posts, read 657,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
Ha Ha You have a better chance of snow in Miami before that happens.

Maybe when Hampton Roads build some type of mass transit, It might become a viable area. Right now this area is only good for Military and Old people.
Better off to say Key West... I think it has snowed in Miami... once. That's one too many times I'll be saying I miss Hampton Roads!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 AM

378 posts, read 1,063,399 times
I lived in Hampton Roads (Va Beach) for 8 months. There were things I liked and disliked. I think the way the roads are designed are ridiculous especially the intersection of Independence and Bonney. Very screwed up. Did they ever hear of ramps and merge lanes? It is just a free for all wedge in type thing. As far the the black/white thing going on this thread. In my opinion ( I'm white). I'd rather live in a neighborhood where the people are just responsible, law-abiding, moral people who take care of their property. If they are black fine, if they are white fine or any other race fine. As a white person I'd much rather have a black neighbor who is responsible and moral than white trashy people who don't take care of their place and have tons of people coming in and out of the place, loud, etc for an example or even white people who think they are "all that". It is the type of character of the person not their skin color that matters in my opinion. There are decent and undecent members of all races.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
you are absolutely right rungirl...
On the road subject...come here to Yokosuka and try to drive down these narrow one lane roads. The freeways are 80 mph if you can handle a car driving that fast with the steering wheel on the opposite side of the car!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:22 PM

33 posts, read 75,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Then expect to sit in traffic for most of your commute to and from wherever you go. If you decide not to drive, your life revolves around a schedule. It's just the way it goes, no matter where you live. There's always some sort of traffic unless you are a one stop light town.
I agree with ya there... I come from a town, born and raised, where there was only one stop light. My advice, pay attention, have patience or go back where traffic isn't so heavy... just like highschool... not EVERYONE is born a brainiac, lol and can drive PERFECT. Give those "slow" ones a chance too, sorry, it's just life as I see it.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,795 times
I was born and raised in Hampton and Newport News and I haven't gone too far out of my surroundings....lol but I feel exactly how he does! This is a great retirement area but far as your 20's and 30's come on now not alot to offer except the ocean front has a million rules, people seriously can't drive, and everywhere you go it's becoming run down. Why do you mix ghetto with upper class...yeah sounded like a great idea from the rich guys downtown because they'll just move outta here like me!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia12422344 View Post
I was born and raised in Hampton and Newport News and I haven't gone too far out of my surroundings....lol but I feel exactly how he does! This is a great retirement area but far as your 20's and 30's come on now not alot to offer except the ocean front has a million rules, people seriously can't drive, and everywhere you go it's becoming run down. Why do you mix ghetto with upper class...yeah sounded like a great idea from the rich guys downtown because they'll just move outta here like me!

Well Kiddo, there are rules everywhere. The economy isn't helping much, thousands are losing their jobs. Expect to see some "run down" everywhere you go. Even other countries are feeling it. The rich guys downtown are residents for tax purposes IMO. They rent and write it off or their companies pick up the tab and write it off. It is what it is and hopefully the middle class folks will reap the harvest after this mess is over.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Well Kiddo, there are rules everywhere. The economy isn't helping much, thousands are losing their jobs. Expect to see some "run down" everywhere you go. Even other countries are feeling it.
Good point, Erma. My grandfather just came back from Ireland and he basically said "I can't really complain anymore." Ireland went from one of the richest countries in Europe to one of the hardest hit. If all someone has to complain about is "rules", I'd say life's pretty good.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Good point, Erma. My grandfather just came back from Ireland and he basically said "I can't really complain anymore." Ireland went from one of the richest countries in Europe to one of the hardest hit. If all someone has to complain about is "rules", I'd say life's pretty good.
I just got back from Japan and yes, your Grandfather is correct!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 PM

159 posts, read 531,985 times
The random weather- Just the other day i was driving with my convertible top down enjoying the 75 degree weather. Then as i'm driving westbound on 64 BAM. All of a sudden my car thermometer dropped 10 degrees in 5 minutes! One day its hot the next its snowing. The weather patterns here are off the wall and annoying. Anyone remember that time it was warm outside then a cold front came and it started snowing all in the same day? The roads- FIX THE ROADS! I couldnt tell you how many times ive been driving on the highway and mistakingly thought my tire was flat, later to find out that it was the road messing with me! I'm waiting for the day i hit one of the bumps the wrong way and lose my tire in the elizabeth river.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
The random weather- Just the other day i was driving with my convertible top down enjoying the 75 degree weather. Then as i'm driving westbound on 64 BAM. All of a sudden my car thermometer dropped 10 degrees in 5 minutes! One day its hot the next its snowing. The weather patterns here are off the wall and annoying. Anyone remember that time it was warm outside then a cold front came and it started snowing all in the same day? The roads- FIX THE ROADS! I couldnt tell you how many times ive been driving on the highway and mistakingly thought my tire was flat, later to find out that it was the road messing with me! I'm waiting for the day i hit one of the bumps the wrong way and lose my tire in the elizabeth river.
Recently on the news, we were informed that Virginia will be receiving 48 million to fix their roads and it will create 20,000 jobs. Your roads will get fixed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area