Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM

80 posts, read 380,854 times

Advertisements

If you want to lock your bike up at Lynnhaven Mall, make sure it's in a "designated lot." I went up to Barnes and Noble on Monday and locked my bike up on some sign outside. I was only inside for maybe 10-15 minutes and security slapped on their own lock with a laminated tag with the number to their office. Surprisingly, security was nice, even though they took my name down and said that I could possibly be banned if I happen to get caught doing that again.

Geez, if the mall can afford to bring in expensive restaurants and some snazzy shops, they could probably afford to put up signs informing cyclists to not lock their bikes up at a random spot.

This was mainly a complaint post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 PM

209 posts, read 771,193 times
I got a cure for that: Bolt cutters. It's ridiculous. They can lock our crap up, but if we did that to theirs we would be in jail so fast, the sound left behind would make jet nose sound like kittens mewing.

I have respect for police, but rent-a-cops need to know their place. You are a glorified guard, not Judge Dread. You have absolutely no right to lock up any civilians property. You have a right to call the police, a tow copany, or to move it off your property. You have absolutely no right to do anything else. You are not the police, stop acting like it.

As for the mall, you guys shouldn't go there and let them know why. If they are going to be cry-babies about you locking your bike up, they should provide some bike racks or, like you said, signs.

I'm really touchy about personal rights. I don't like the ideal that Joe Blow off the street can dawn a rent-a-cop uniform and basicly be a policeman. What if he was some guy with a personal vendetta against someone? That person wouldn't stand a chance in court against a rent-a-cop, even if he isn't real law enforcement.

Last edited by Shoobie; 09-02-2008 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Hit sumbit too soon... again...

Old 09-03-2008, 12:18 AM

80 posts, read 380,854 times
the thing is, there are bike racks but it's more convenient for me to park my bike in front of barnes and noble instead of having to park near the carousel. there's probably one near the movie theatre too. i was just a little annoyed that a simple sign outside of barnes and noble was serious security business.

there needs to be a bike rack between barnes and noble and dicks. it's strange, because i've been able to lock my bike up at night in the same spot with no problem at all, even after spending up to 30 minutes in the store.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:56 AM

Ok then, but they still don't have the right to lock up your bike. That was the part that got me miffed.

I'd say they don't realize how important a small change like that can be. That or they are too cheap to do it and would rather force people to do something inconvenient. But what can you do, their big business.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
My biggest beef with the whole bike rack thing, is that Lynnhaven Mall security actually told me that I could not chain my MOPED to the bike rack! They told me to find a parking spot for it! In fact, a lot of places have said the same thing - like a moped is on the same level as a motorcycle. I've already decided that anyplace that treats a moped/scooter like a motorcycle - take your chances with a parking spot - doesn't get my business.

It is a good thing that I'm friends with people a little higher than the rent-a-cops at that mall. I got the issue resolved migghhttyy quick. By the way, people can now chain mopeds and motorized scooters to the bike racks at Lynnhaven Mall.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:25 AM

6 posts, read 22,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
My biggest beef with the whole bike rack thing, is that Lynnhaven Mall security actually told me that I could not chain my MOPED to the bike rack! They told me to find a parking spot for it! In fact, a lot of places have said the same thing - like a moped is on the same level as a motorcycle. I've already decided that anyplace that treats a moped/scooter like a motorcycle - take your chances with a parking spot - doesn't get my business.

It is a good thing that I'm friends with people a little higher than the rent-a-cops at that mall. I got the issue resolved migghhttyy quick. By the way, people can now chain mopeds and motorized scooters to the bike racks at Lynnhaven Mall.
Geeeeez the rentacops at Lynnhaven can have real issues. One was following me around once, until I turned around and ask did he really need anything, and he started harrassing me, so I turned back around and kept on walking, still ignoring him, and he STILL followed me!! I guess my jeans weren't the right style or something?? So I told him to back his ass off, and he said he was going to call his supervisor, so when his boss got there, HE got in trouble, lol!! By and large, Lynnhaven has most everything I need, and I really like it there, but some of the security guys, I dunno...I would maybe tell some of them, or at least that guy, to join the military and look at REAL discipline....

Old 09-08-2008, 09:02 AM

Resisting the urge to tase someone, because you can't be trusted with a real weapon, is a real discipline! I mean, if it wasn't for rent-a-cops, who would be harassing UCLA students? That's right, no one. Do you want the 60's to happen again? The worlds supply of rose colored glasses is at a critical mass and someone has to keep them filfthy hippies in check.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:37 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,184 times
Interestingly enough last year I was driving my sister's car (w/NC plates) and was waiting for her in Dick's parking lot. I was parked a bit crooked but on the side of the mall (because it was late and I wanted to be able to see her when she walked out). The 'rent a cop' in the car stopped and parked behind me and waited until she walked out. I guess he thought I was the get-away guy or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area