Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,043 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Richmond, VA.

I just got a new job in Newport News, more specifically: City Center, Town Center Drive, area code 23606.

I have been to Williamsburg, Newport News, Yorktown and VA Beach, but for only short periods of time. Therefore, I am not familiar enough with each location to know the differences and which would be a better place for me to live.

I am a single 23 yo male looking for a nice 1 bedroom apartment <$1,000/mo in a nice area. I want to live around other professionals. I would like to live near a Whole Foods, Fresh Market or Trader Joe's.

I am not really into nightlife, but I do enjoying going out to eat and trying new things. I'd also like to be close to shopping malls, nature and a little city life. Being close to an Asian grocery store and Vietnamese restaurants would also be nice.

What do you recommend would be the best place for me to live?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 PM

87 posts, read 642,869 times
You shouldn't have a hard time finding a place in NN with your budget. Now, you probably won't find a lot of square ft for that money, but it's certainly doable. I recommend getting an apartment booklet and reading through/visiting different places. There are many apartments in the area, just take your time to find a place that suites your needs.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
I would definitely try NN over the other areas. They are definitely way on the edge of all of Hampton Roads. Being in NN will put you much closer to work and other activities you enjoy. I like the Oyster Point area - lots of shopping and restaurants.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:57 PM

361 posts, read 1,464,940 times
Since you got a job in City Center, why dont you live there as well. It is a beautiful mixed use area, with new construction apts in your budget. Also Port Warwick across from City Center on the other side of Jefferson Ave is very nice with apts in your budget as well. There is no Whole Foods on the Peninsula yet, however Trader Joes is a 5 minute drive from Oyster Point area, also there is the City Center market place in the neighborhood

Old 09-26-2008, 10:36 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,103 times
You should definetly check for an apartment in City Center or Port Warwick. That would be perfect and those seem to be the hot spots of the city right now.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:35 PM

18 posts, read 80,300 times
Hey you will be working around the corner from me... I live in Yorktown and have for 21 years but been in the area all of my life.... You are going to love it here.... but you may be in for a shock.... we go at a much slower pace here...... Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area