U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:53 PM

173 posts, read 276,306 times

Advertisements

I've seen some threads talking about the price of living in NC being significantly cheaper than in VA. I would probably be looking to work in VA Beach area, and wondered whether it would be sensible to consider living along the coast of NC and driving to VA Beach to work. IS that a sensible thought?

What are the northeastern most towns of NC like, near the VA line? What would that drive be like?

Last edited by scarlett68; 09-27-2008 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 02:26 PM

209 posts, read 527,080 times
I've considered this myself. It's sensible if your living near the state line. You may get to pick which state taxs you want to pay and if you move to a rual part of NC, you won't have to worry about city taxs.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:51 PM

1,277 posts, read 2,656,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett68 View Post
I've seen some threads talking about the price of living in NC being significantly cheaper than in VA. I would probably be looking to work in VA Beach area, and wondered whether it would be sensible to consider living along the coast of NC and driving to VA Beach to work. IS that a sensible thought?

What are the northeastern most towns of NC like, near the VA line? What would that drive be like?
Years ago it was a good deal for people that worked in Va Bch or Chesapeake to move just across the state line into NC, land just across the state line was cheap and there was plenty of it......Now that does not hold true...10 years ago you could buy waterfront property on the sound or back water at a fair price or you could grab 10-20 acres of farm land to build your house on. Today you will be lucky to find an acre for those same prices...So people are having to move further south or west into NC to find the better deals. The only problem is if you have to travel to Ches or Va Bch everyday the tax saving you achieved by moving to NC is quickly ate up by todays gas prices....So in the long run many people are paying just as much or even more as far as total living expenses every month to live in NC and are moving back across the line closer to where they work in Hampton Roads. It is a personal choice and real estate prices and taxes are still cheaper but its not the dream land like it was 10-20 year ago for allot of people

Last edited by rtandc; 09-27-2008 at 03:59 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 PM

2,124 posts, read 5,772,443 times
rtandc is absolutely correct. I am finding more and more that want to move back. The drive is killing them and the gas prices or crazy!! Depending on where you have to commute to, anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 or an hour....

Also, take a look at schools. You are just going to get more sought after schools in Va. Beach and Chesapeake than that area of NC...

shelly

Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 AM

2,466 posts, read 3,612,103 times
I know someone that commutes in from Edenton to Norfolk 3-4 times a week and, while they love their house and love Edenton, absolutely hate the drive and the traffice. And with Gas being so high, it actually puts them in a hole instead of saving money

Old 09-28-2008, 06:56 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,767,031 times
Then again, you can sit in traffic locally anywhere from 30-45 mins and think to yourself you could be home already! It's a give and take. The people I work with say they'd rather spend money on the gas than the taxes.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:02 AM

Erma, our taxes really aren't that high. Our property taxes in Va. beach are .89 per $100 of assessed, and chesapeakes are $1.04 per 100 of assessed..... And when you factor in what that buys you in services... well it just makes sense NOT to spend the money on Gas.

But to each his own, right? : )

shelly

Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,767,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Erma, our taxes really aren't that high. Our property taxes in Va. beach are .89 per $100 of assessed, and chesapeakes are $1.04 per 100 of assessed..... And when you factor in what that buys you in services... well it just makes sense NOT to spend the money on Gas.

But to each his own, right? : )

shelly
Yep, but those people who live there are the source. I'm pretty well versed on real estate...bought my first house at 18. As far as the services, don't we pay for them, i.e. sewer, trash etc. etc.?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 AM

schools, Rec center, awesome library, etc.....

(yes you pay for rec center, but at $55 per person per year...it is highly subsidized by your tax dollars)

and congratulations on being a home owner at such a young age.

I'm sure the taxes are low in their area of NC... I'm just suggesting that may show in some of the services they do not enjoy that we do....

Again, to each his own. i just like to present a clear idea...

Erma, do you like living in Hampton Roads??????

shelly

Old 09-28-2008, 01:11 PM

173 posts, read 276,306 times
Thanks for the responses. I hadn't thought about the gas issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area