Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 09:02 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times

Advertisements

I haven't figured out the budget for a house on the beach. We need 5 bedrooms and I personally prefer a one level. What area do you suggest that has good schools? Preferably close to a golf course (if not already affiliated with one). I would move there in 2010 or 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 02:51 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I haven't figured out the budget for a house on the beach. We need 5 bedrooms and I personally prefer a one level. What area do you suggest that has good schools? Preferably close to a golf course (if not already affiliated with one). I would move there in 2010 or 2011.
Cox High School is supposed to be one of the best in the area. Do you want to be on the Atlantic or the Chesapeake Bay? Rudee Inlet has some gorgeous homes, but the jet noise is unbelievable. Sandbridge and Chick's Beach are prone to flooding (as are many of the beaches). Research the flooding history in your area before you buy.
Wimbledon on the Bay, Bay Colony, and Linkhorn Bay are all nice neighborhoods on the bay, but they're not on the beach.
You really need to find a good Realtor. I can recommend the one we used if you send me a PM. He showed us houses almost every weekend for close to a year.
Who knows what the market will be like in 2010 or 2011. Right now, waterfront homes (with 5 bedrooms) run about 1,000,000-16,000,000 (not necessarily on the beach, but on the water).
Roseandwomble.com has a great website for looking.
I don't sell real estate in Va Beach and am not affiliated with them, but I looked at homes there before we bought.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:40 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Sandbridge is a nice place to have a house on the beach. Personally I wouldn't deal with R&W.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Hi Titanium, as JH states, taking some time to look and learn the area is very helpful. I grew up here and have seen it grow and change : ) I will try to help you by understanding our area first....

We have the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean.

Some folks like the chesapeake bay. It is calmer, a lot of locals, and some good schools (if that is important to you). There will be some older ranches in Bay Colony, Cape Henry Shores, and a few other areas ,but they are not "waterfront". They are water "walk to". there are a lot of condo's in the area, which do have some nice amenities. You just need to be aware that this is not THE ocean, so it tends to get really warm and attract Jelly Fish and seaweed. the locals love this area to get away from tourists... but if I had my choice... well I would choose the atlantic.

We have the Atlantic Shore. It is long : ) At the North End is the Priciest and very sought after area. You will find all kinds of homes. Newer/older, many stories, one stories, cottages and contemporaries... but be prepared to "pay". Most are not directly on the beach, but are on the beach side of the main drag.

As you come south, you will come to the "strip". Very Touristy. There are homes here called the Old Beach area. There are homes here, but they are NOT beach side (the hotels are). Come alittle further south and you will Shadowlawn. A favorite of mine Shadow lawn has a nice neighborhood feel, but it is an eclectic feel. Homes from 300k to well over several million all mixed together. Again, you will not be right on the water (hotels), but you walk, ride your bike down to the beach.

Then you cross over the Rudee Inlet Bridge and come to my favorite of all time..... Croatan Beach. It is a tucked away little beach neighborhood, where money has to be no object, LOL!! actually homes run from around 700k and up. Only one row is actually on the water, but all are walkable and it is a beach community. the is also where JHRICHMOND felt that the JET noise is too awful. Actually it isn't too bad right there.... But there are jets from the Naval Jet Base.

Keep going South, and you will finally come to Sandbridge. It is a beach commuity that is bordered by the Atlantic and then behind is the bay, to one side is a Base and the other side is a Natural Preserve. It is out in the country a little (not a bad drive, maybe 10 minutes) so it is a conclave to itself. You wont find many ranches. Most of the homes are up on stilts. You never know when a hurricane might come through...... Prices for homes here run 500k to up over a couple of million.... depending on location and home style.

I Hope I have given you some good information to start your research. I am happy to be a resource for you, just let me know. And if you have any questions, just ask : )

thanks,

shelly

Old 09-29-2008, 05:48 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,967 times
We were told that flood insurance couldn't be issued in Sandbridge.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:28 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Thanks for the advice.

We have a 1 level 3400 sq foot house on the golf course with a BR upstairs and I got accustomed to living on one level. My father has a wheelchair so I am going to look very hard. I would prefer 2 master bedrooms with one downstairs if one levels are not available.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
titanium, it is doable.. again it will depend on where you want to look and also your budget needs. North End will have more options like that than Sandbridge. Also, many of these homes built recently have elevators.... to get you up to the main level.....

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area