U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM

290 posts, read 748,280 times

Advertisements

What were you charged with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Most background checks go back ten years. If your crime has been within that time frame, then it may impact certain areas of work. I know people who have had been incarcerated and still found employment in areas that were not a threat to the businesses.
I have a history that was from 1995. I can tell you that companies state they only run a 7yr background check and my information still shows up.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Angry Virginia is not Felon / convict friendly

With applying for alot of the jobs in the Hampton Roads area.. most companies will not entertain the option of employment for someone with any type of felony conviction. All they see is if that little box is checked "ever been convicted of any felonies". And make sure you know which box you are checking because, from my experience companies play on words like "ever" or "any".

I have have been looking for employement since August 2010. Every application inquires about convictions. My history is from 1995, where as I was convicted and given probation for what I had done. I havent been in any type of trouble since. I havent crossed a yellow line since my run in, but that does not change the way people look and treat you here.

I recently inquired about employement with a local company that was suppose to be a 'foundation of the community for the people'. They did do a back ground check on me and had me come in for a interview only to inquire into detail about the what, who, when and where details of my convictions. Then after the interview they stated they never hire felons.

I do understand that what I did was my choice and I put myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. And I should reap the consequences of my actions. But second chances are not given, handed out or earned here no matter the time frame or how much you have changed.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM

189 posts, read 206,875 times
I wish you hope and luck in finding a job. I, myself, have been trying to find a job unsuccessfully for some time now too and I do not have that black mark on my record. I hold the mark of being an ex-cop with physical limitations from an injury. I truly hope you can find gainful employment and work forward to a successful life.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:46 AM

907 posts, read 1,306,456 times
It is unfortunate that their is no adjective in front of the type of felonly you have. Obviously raping or molesting somebody is no where as bad as some of the things classified as a felony.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Default oh no, never

I could never hurt another person or animal. I got a couple breaking and entering charges into a commercial bldg. I know that what I had done was not against a person, but it did hurt them in the long run, which I know now. I didnt know that or understand what I would lose by doing wrong at the time ..hindsight is 20 20 .

Freedom is just too valuable then to spend it locked up over something that wasnt mine.

My wife always gets on me as I am the type of person who stops to get animals, butterflies and turtles out of the road. Or to help someone on the side of the road. She swears one day im going to get hit by a car or something trying to save something from getting hit by a car.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 4,823 times
pir8te, have you thought about volunteering somewhere in your spare time? That way you can use the contacts you make from volunteering as references. My husband is currently looking for a job, and trust me, it is all about networking! If someone will vouch for you, it will be easier to get a job.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobie View Post
Take some night school, tech college classes, or anything else that will show you're working hard to better yourself. If all else fails, become a hermit or beach comber. I know I've thought of doing it many-a-time.
as have i ....Just got laid off due to my past history....I was a furniture installer for a lot of military bases and they just changed their criteria from 5 to 1o years without a felony...I have 6.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area