Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:53 PM

209 posts, read 771,274 times

Advertisements

Since Christmas is T-minus 58 days, 8 hours, and 6 minutes, I figured I would post one of the charities I give to this time of the year.

I'm a gamer, and being such a rebel, I like to give the gift of games. One place, the only place, I do this at is www.childsplaycharity.org because what I donate will get to the children who need it the most. I have bought items for children hospitals using Child's Play since 2004. They now have a listing for a hospital in Roanoke, so your bucks won't be flying further than you can drive.

This is extra special this year because last week one of the little dudes that gamed with me and my friends on Xbox Live passed away from leukemia. This kid could not get out and play. As far as I know, he couldn't even go to school. That sucks for a 10 year old. For the last year or so he's been a buddy of nephew and been good back up in Phantasy Star. For almost 2 years, videogames was this kids only real way to interact with people outside his home and small town. People like Jack Thompson need to meet children like this before they condemn our favorite pastime.

Anyway, I though I would post about this since around November they will start their drive for donations and they might be having another auction this year with gamer related items.

Last edited by Shoobie; 10-27-2008 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: lol i r teh sux @ spealing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 03:13 PM

Also, be on the look out for ESA Game Packs this Christmas. When you buy one, the proceeds go towards children's charities. It comes with three E-rated titles for you and your family to play. If you don't own a gaming console, or the console they decided to release it for this year, just buy one then give it to some kid who you might think would like it. Eather way, it is going for a good cause.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:27 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Great idea. We help sponsor the homeless during the holidays at our church. They sure do appreciate a warm place to sleep, good hot food and a nice blanket to take with them when they leave. We also send packages to the troops each month and put together shoe box gifts for the Samaritan House.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 PM

There are tons of things that go on through my church... or... my old church since I moved. Hard finding a good church here that doesn't make my social anxiety run wild. lol

Anyway, I donate to this charity because, frankly, I love gaming and think it can do some good in the world. That and these kids have no way to get out and physically experience anything. Most are the sickest of the sick. Also, it's a good way to show that games are not the devil incarnate, just like comic books and rock-n-roll are not. I don't know about you guys, but I'm kind of sick of people picking one thing a decade to scapegoat.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,212 times
My youngest son spent time at CHKD. We give to them every chance we get. If you really want to help, volunteer. Those kids really need people to read to them, or just play with them.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 PM

NVM, changing my post... I think I miss read your post. I do believe donating a game, book, or system is helping. It's enabling the kids to play together or with adults. I would donate my time, but I don't even have enough time for myself. Sorry for sounding mean.

Last edited by Shoobie; 10-27-2008 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: I'm a dork.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:45 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times
We give to toys for tots, the angel trees at the local bank, the Salvation Army and then the remainder of the year, the cancer society.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM

I also give to toys for tots and back in summer, there was a 24 hour gaming marathon to raise money for cancer research that I participated in. Should of posted about that here, but I only found out about it 1 hour before closing registrations.

Back home, there are two biker groups that do a lot of "Toys for tots" type of stuff; Bikers for Christ and Ghostriders. Around Christmas, you can find them putting on shows to raise money, visiting hospitals, and gathering toys. Anyone know if they do any work here like that?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:12 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Shoobie, I bet if you checked with someone at Knuckleheads on Witchduck, you can find out what the biker groups are doing.

shelly

Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,212 times
Donating ANYTHING is a generous thing to do. From my personal experience with CHKD, the kids have toys and games; what they need most are real people to interact with. It's phenomenaly exhausting for families to be there 24/7, most look like zombies. And sadly, that's understandable. Having someone to read the kids a book, or play a game of checkers is priceless.

Thankfully our time there was not long, but it did open my eyes to something most do not want to see. I think that's really why most people don't want to volunteer with sick kids. It's impossible not to cry when you leave the hospital for your "normal" life, knowing that innocent children will never get to experience anything close to "normal".

EDMARC Childrens hospice is another great charity if you have time or money to donate.

~Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area