Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthshoreChicago View Post
We are considering relocating to the Norfolk, VA area since my husband began commuting to a new job in Norfolk. I have lived in Chicago my whole life and in my present home on the beautiful north shore of Chicago for 27 years. We need schools (next year) for kids that will be in 5th and 8th grade.

Can I find a comparble quality of life...when everything needed on a daily basis is walking distance (schools, library, post office, restaurants, dry cleaners, vet, doctors, train into Chicago (21 mins), or short bike ride: outdoor pool, fabulous Lake Michigan beach front (with doggie beach)...Jesuit HS of 2000 ( a bit big), Nationally ranked Public High School (new Trier--4000 students--too big for us). We pay high taxes for all of this and the Chicago job market is "churning" not growing.

I dread traffic and expressway commutes, airport noise etc. (I could have all of that here in Chicago if I lived in a Western Suburb!)

Suggestions?

NorthShoreLady
I am retired Navy, orig from Cleveland, and have lived in Chicago as well. Norfolk is over taxed, under-paid, and very political! Property assesments are rising out of control and crime is worse than ever. I would NOT recommend ANY Norfolk Public school system. Move to Isle of Wright or better yet, Smithfield. Wife and I are thinking of relocatng to Nashville area; and she is born and raised in Norfolk. You will NOT be happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area