Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 PM

71 posts, read 337,307 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Newport News, and then went to VCU in Richmond for graphic design. After graduation I moved to Philadelphia, and after just under a year of being here, I decided to come back to Newport News. I absolutely hate Philadelphia, and the job market is horrible. I understand it's like that everywhere, but I'd rather be back home with family and where the cost of living is MUCH lower. I am fully aware that I will probably just have to pick up some retail work or try to get an office job, but obviously I would really like to do something with graphic design.

My question is, are there a lot of graphic designers living in the area? Are you making it, or are you having to pick up other work or freelance on the side (that is what I had to do in Philadelphia, but simply couldn't afford it anymore.) Anyone have any advice? Where to go to find freelance work?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:03 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Michele, my husband is in the advertising business, and I can tell you Hampton Roads is NOT a very marketing / graphic design "rich" area.... However, Richmond is. Take a look at the job boards for Richmond... you can also check into Capital One (they always need graphic designers). but you know that since you went to VCU. Sorry I can't help you with Newport News.

shelly

Old 10-30-2009, 07:49 AM

134 posts, read 544,911 times
Try some of the companies that have corporate headquarters and operations here. Dominion Enterprises, Stihl, Norfolk Southern, Smithfield Foods, or Dollar Tree. I would imagine Dominion Enterprises has quite a few on hand considering they run all of the auto trader magazines and websites.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:53 PM

162 posts, read 801,594 times
A lot of those bigger companies you mentioned use ad agencies, but some also do have internal advertising departments.

You could apply at a newspaper as an ad-designer. Also, there is a company called Pilot Direct that is owned by the Virginian-Pilot/Landmark Corporation that does targeted marketing for several of the larger local businesses. Pilot Direct | Targeted Marketing Solutions

Old 11-14-2009, 01:41 PM

71 posts, read 337,307 times
What about freelance work? Where do graphic designers in the Virginia Beach area go for freelance jobs? I really haven't found many so far.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,829 times
I can tell you from personal experience that the Hampton Roads area is absolutely NOT a good place for design. I was laid off from my graphic design job in June 2009. I am still looking for a job and I have over 10 years of experience in print and web. I search about 60 sites several times a week, including resume sites, careerconnection.com, and many large Hampton Roads based company sites (ie. - STIHL, Northrup Grumman, L-3, Booz Allen, BAE, URS, Lockheed Martin). I've struggled to get the two mandatory jobs a week I am supposed to apply for to qualify for unemployment each week. And, with each job listing you can expect that you're up against at least a good 100+ other applicants. So, even if you're well qualified it's safe to assume there are several others just as qualified as you are. I would move, however, my significant other is in the Navy so it's not an option at this time.

Having said that, knowing that relocating my be my only option to finding employment, I have looked around just in case. The following are a few areas where they have a much healthier variety of graphic design options: Boston, Washington D.C., and Raleigh, NC. These three cities have metro areas to include smaller, outlying cities with more affordable living costs. If I could move to Boston right now I would.

Good luck with your search. I wish you the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area