U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:50 PM

3 posts, read 12,177 times

Advertisements

Chest pains and difficulty breathing get quick attention. The usual wait time is probably three hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 04:39 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,900,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv81055 View Post
Chest pains and difficulty breathing get quick attention. The usual wait time is probably three hours.
I believe having a baby doesn't constitute a wait time as the child wants out when it's time to go~
Other than that, if you have a cold, flu, headache or something less life threatening, the local Patient Firsts have excellent doctors and an in-house prescription pharmacy to accommodate those needs.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:24 PM

833 posts, read 4,370,639 times
Default Chesapeake General Hospital

I had my last baby at Chesapeake General Hospital. It was a scheduled c-section and everything went off without a hitch. The only thing I didn't like about it and I was quite stressed about was immediately following the c-section (during the two hour immediate recovery) they didn't allow me to see my newborn baby. I saw him and touched him briefly in the delivery room right after delivery, but then had to wait 2 plus hours to see him again. I was not pleased. But overall the postpartum nurses were thoughtful, regimented, and personable.
When I had an emergency c-section with my firstborn in FL, they immediately let me see him and touch him, and after a brief recovery in the recovery room, within one hour I could hold him and be with him. That's why I know Chesapeake General is lacking in that realm.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:32 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,900,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I had my last baby at Chesapeake General Hospital. It was a scheduled c-section and everything went off without a hitch. The only thing I didn't like about it and I was quite stressed about was immediately following the c-section (during the two hour immediate recovery) they didn't allow me to see my newborn baby. I saw him and touched him briefly in the delivery room right after delivery, but then had to wait 2 plus hours to see him again. I was not pleased. But overall the postpartum nurses were thoughtful, regimented, and personable.
When I had an emergency c-section with my firstborn in FL, they immediately let me see him and touch him, and after a brief recovery in the recovery room, within one hour I could hold him and be with him. That's why I know Chesapeake General is lacking in that realm.
I'm sure they have their reasons for that, i.e. anethesia and making sure the new lil' person is in safe hands. Chesapeake General is a very good hospital and their staff is great. I had foot surgery there just last year (the hospital my doctor uses) and I could not complain one bit for the care given. Today's hospitals and the way people are suing for frivalous reasons require them to be very careful in just about everything they do. I'm not saying that all law suits are frivalous, but some of the stories on the news as to why people do the things they do, just don't make sense.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 PM

548 posts, read 1,295,304 times
I have had a baby at Sentara Leigh and a baby at Sentara VB General. I would recommend both hospitals. Leigh has a more updated labor, delivery, and recovery all in the same room which is nice. My only complaint with Leigh is that I was scheduled to be induced on a Friday, my family came to stay with my kids for the weekend only to find that there was no room for me. I had to check in every day to find out if they could induce me that day or not. I had never heard of this happening before, but apparently it happens there often. It is smaller and if your wife gets pregnant around the time the ships return from deployment, then this could happen to you, too. Once I was able to get in, my experience was great.

Oh, and I thought the food was much better at VB General.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:07 PM

42 posts, read 127,594 times
Bon Sec. DePaul had excellent food too!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,575 times
I just had my daughter in August at Chesapeake General...for L&D the reports showed they were the best...the only issue I had was the RN that admitted me obviously didn't know what she was doing...and admitted me when I wasn't in labor...so I ended up being in the hospital for over 24 hours before my daughter was born. Once I had my Dr. break my water (because I was tired of waiting and they were going to do it anyway) and got up to the Mother/Baby unit everyone was so nice and helpful and very very caring! My daughter ended up in the NICU a few hours after she was born and they were great and will let you stay in the room across the NICU once you've been discharged if you want for a few days.
My doctor also acknowledged my wishes for my birth plan and followed through completely...so, that's good too (but, check with your OB about the hospitals they deliver at).

Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 19,793 times
I've been to Sentara Bayside and Sentara Virginia Beach General and never had a problem or complaint. Every doctor I've seen seems competent and the rest of the nursing staff also. I'd recommend them! I haven't been to the ones in Norfolk or on the Penninsula but I assume Sentara as a whole is reputable.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
Sentara Leigh was a good experience all in all. The only problem I had was with a cocky young nurse named Morgan that thought I was over reacting when I told her I still couldn't move my legs after giving birth and having an epidural and episiotomy. They come in and help clean you up after labor and she dropped my leg on purpose to see what my reflex reaction would be while moving me.....I just looked at her of course because I couldn't feel anything. It was the fact of the matter that she actually attempted to do that to someone who just had a baby that really pissed me off. Other than that the other staff members were awesome and the elderly nurse assisting Morgan reported her because she witnessed it as well.

Last edited by BeachMama1; 05-10-2013 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: had to add an accurate explanation

Old 05-11-2013, 03:59 PM

41 posts, read 62,487 times
We don't have kids yet, but based on some of my friends' experience, I would check out Bon Secours DePaul in Norfolk. I know they also have a midwifery center if you guys are interested in that. I haven't heard anything BAD about Sentara, but have heard really good things about DePaul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area