U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:47 PM

4 posts, read 24,119 times

Advertisements

All,

First i would like to thank you for adding your input.
I going to be moving to the portsmouth area and i am looking at buying a house. I have noticed that there are alot of new houses going up in Prentiss Park. I lived in Portsmouth once before and Prentiss Park was not a good place and also I have a friend that just moved out of Portsmouth and he also told me that Prentiss Park is not a great place to raise a family. I have heard that they are really cleaning the area up and the new homes that I am looking at are beautiful but i am afraid to buy a home if it is labeled the "ghetto". If anyone can provide some feedback on the area thanks.

Many wishes and my good bless,

Achilleas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 04:59 AM

1,154 posts, read 3,370,004 times
Go there multiple times during different times of the day. Call the Portsmouth Police Department and ask about reported crimes in the general vicinity. Talk to people who live there, knock on their doors and ask them about the area.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 8,972 times
I have been looking into investing in several houses in the Prentis Park area and have been going throughthe area seversal time a day. It seems to be a pretty friendly neighborhood now. I also see loyts of children around and several churches all throughout the neighborhood. I think it is safe as far as I can tell.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:38 PM

59 posts, read 433,555 times
It's pretty quite over there, it's up the block from me. They are tearing down the abused houses and really cleaning up, it's a good idea to get in now while the city has more funding for thier renovations for the next few years. More military are buying home here because although this area was abused, the location is perfect. Located between the Southside and Peninsula you can be in any part of town in Hampton Roads within 25 minutes from portsmouth. Get in now, while the getting is good!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 22,629 times
Default No Way

I am from Portsmouth, There is NO WAY that I would buy a house in an area that the drug dealers stand on the street corners from sun up to sun down!

The nieghborhood has gone down over the years, as a child it was a nice place. But in Portsmouth- Crack is KILLING the city. There are no jobs, training, afforable housing and a city management that is not putting the money back into the city.

The school system isn't that great either, so unless you just want to come back home then I would not move to Prentis Park. Try some other nieghborhoods - BUT NOT PRENTIS PARK !!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 22,629 times
Have you been on Lincole Street, Charleston Ave, Prentis Ave or Elm Ave, yes Portsmouth Police are doing All that they can to clean up the area. But how can you when the people who lives there are not trying to help. My mother lives on Lansing Ave. and I do not go to her house after dark, unless it is an emergency.
Maybe that area could use some New "homeowners".

Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,844 times
I taught in Portsmouth and there is no way I would send my children to Portsmouth Public Schools. As far as living there, there are much nicer areas than Prentiss Park-the residents are trying, but unless you want your kids on a first name basis with crackheads, look elsewhere!

Old 09-10-2007, 11:23 AM

33 posts, read 108,299 times
The only place in Portsmouth I know of that military families even consider moving to is Churchland. I don't know what they want for a new home in Prentiss Park, but I'm sure your money would be better spent on an existing home elsewhere!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 PM

59 posts, read 433,555 times
Default GO For it

Look at the potential in the area. Thats the only way to buy. Look at the location, in fact I see more investors in that area these days, take another drive through the area and don't look at it for what it is, but for what it can be.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 8,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilleas View Post
All,

First i would like to thank you for adding your input.
I going to be moving to the portsmouth area and i am looking at buying a house. I have noticed that there are alot of new houses going up in Prentiss Park. I lived in Portsmouth once before and Prentiss Park was not a good place and also I have a friend that just moved out of Portsmouth and he also told me that Prentiss Park is not a great place to raise a family. I have heard that they are really cleaning the area up and the new homes that I am looking at are beautiful but i am afraid to buy a home if it is labeled the "ghetto". If anyone can provide some feedback on the area thanks.

Many wishes and my good bless,

Achilleas
hello, i hve to agree that i am not fond of that area. I live in Churchland and have liked it. Unfortunately I am getting to downsize and will be selling my home in Churchland. All the kids have graduated from college and the last is getting ready to graduate high school next june. If you are really needing a home then I have a beautiful home that you will fall in love with. If you have children it will also be very accommodating for them. I wish you lots of luck on your plans to relocate.
Doreen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or