U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM

41 posts, read 62,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Food Lion! They carry a nice assortment of organic vegetables as well. I don't think in any store I spoke of that the vegetables weren't clean. Brocolli and baby potatoes can be found at any store in this area. I use them in my stews and boiled dinners.
Food Lion has MVP cards if you do not care to use coupons and (this is what I like the most) if I forget my mvp card, they scan a card for me.
Harris Teeter will not do this. They actually sent me out to the truck to get my purse...I didn't like that.
Erma,
I realize that you dislike Harris Teeter - point taken. As far as "going out to your truck" to get your card - why not just let them look you up by your telephone number? I've done that dozens of times there. I'm really surprised regarding the Customer Service problems at Harris Teeter. Personally, I've found their Customer Service there to be second to none. They mis-identified an item - they'll give it to you free, they mis-charged you as an old sale sign was still up - they'll correct it, you forgot a bag of your groceries there and came back later? - they know what you bought, and what you left there - you don't have to repurchase the items. During busy times, "all hands on deck" at the checkouts - very small lines and they'll find you to bring you to their line. As a matter of fact, I drive by the Food Lion - it's closer to me - to shop at Harris Teeter. Food Lion often only has 1, perhaps 2, checkout clerks working, with lines 20 minutes long in each - my time's more valuable than that. Yes, certain things are more expensive at Harris Teeter, but the VIC card negates much of that - 95% of what I buy is on sale there. If it's not on sale this week, give it a week or 2 and it will be. The shopping there has earned me $ back, gift cards, luggage, and cookware. The bakery, seafood, deli, and general atmosphere there is so much better than Food Lion can provide.
So, to each their own, but for me and my family, we're loyal Harris Teeter customers.
Sorry for my rambling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 PM

655 posts, read 1,293,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondback13 View Post
So, to each their own, but for me and my family, we're loyal Harris Teeter customers.
Sorry for my rambling...
I really wouldn't consider myself loyal to any grocery store and some weeks I'll stop by 3-4 places just for sale items, but I think a lot of the "customer service perception" has to do with the manager of the exact store that you go to. Not to say that it's not true for you, but it's also my experience that at the Harris Teeter near me, they will act like it's policy that you must remember, bring, and use your own VIC card. I'd never thought to ask about telephone number or anything, but I generally don't go there anymore because it seems like they are much higher on the things that aren't on sale, and the sales aren't as good as the MVP sales of Food Lion in my review of the weekly sales papers for all the local grocers. I'm sure there are nicely managed and poorly managed locations for every grocery store, that's why it's also important to mention that you should try out all the different stores in your area to find your 'cup of tea'.

At the local Food Lion they also open every lane in busy hours and it's rare that I'll ever see more than one person waiting in line behind the person checking out. Even the manager in the white long-sleeved shirt will walk out and open a register if people are waiting. The bakery/deli is always busy and items are always fresh and the atmosphere is also nice and laid back, whereas Harris Teeter seems to draw more of a crowd that isn't concerned with prices and much less friendly. But I'm sure, it could be different at other locations. Combined with the fact that different people just prefer different things and I do agree that the best advice is 'to each their own.'

Jemis, I completely agree with Erma, it was a good idea to report the incident. I watch for sales, but I also clip coupons on items I use, so I understand how you would feel. Perhaps there is a way that they will make it up to you, and they should. But if not, the only real recourse that customers seem to have is to take business elsewhere and to tell others about the incident.

Last edited by Trevor92; 01-06-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 PM

41 posts, read 62,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
I really wouldn't consider myself loyal to any grocery store and some weeks I'll stop by 3-4 places just for sale items, but I think a lot of the "customer service perception" has to do with the manager of the exact store that you go to. Not to say that it's not true for you, but it's also my experience that at the Harris Teeter near me, they will act like it's policy that you must remember, bring, and use your own VIC card. I'd never thought to ask about telephone number or anything, but I generally don't go there anymore because it seems like they are much higher on the things that aren't on sale, and the sales aren't as good as the MVP sales of Food Lion in my review of the weekly sales papers for all the local grocers. I'm sure there are nicely managed and poorly managed locations for every grocery store, that's why it's also important to mention that you should try out all the different stores in your area to find your 'cup of tea'.

At the local Food Lion they also open every lane in busy hours and it's rare that I'll ever see more than one person waiting in line behind the person checking out. Even the manager in the white long-sleeved shirt will walk out and open a register if people are waiting. The bakery/deli is always busy and items are always fresh and the atmosphere is also nice and laid back, whereas Harris Teeter seems to draw more of a crowd that isn't concerned with prices and much less friendly. But I'm sure, it could be different at other locations. Combined with the fact that different people just prefer different things and I do agree that the best advice is 'to each their own.'

Jemis, I completely agree with Erma, it was a good idea to report the incident. I watch for sales, but I also clip coupons on items I use, so I understand how you would feel. Perhaps there is a way that they will make it up to you, and they should. But if not, the only real recourse that customers seem to have is to take business elsewhere and to tell others about the incident.
Trevor92,
I agree 100% that every location is different, and you've very right - try every local store - you'll find the one that works for 90% of your needs. I'll occasionally hit Food Lion just because they care a few items that HT doesn't. My reply was simply to defend a store that I though was getting a bad rap. Let me clarify - the Newport News (Warwick Blvd.) Harris Teeter is the only one that I can defend. It's MUCH more friendly than the local Food Lion (1/4 mile away, but is the exact opposite). Thanks!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 PM

2,384 posts, read 3,904,353 times
PC-
I also live in Williamsburg and I shop all over! I shop at Wal-Mart for everyday, name brand stuff. Ruffles chips, cokes, diapers...that stuff is generally cheaper at Wal-Mart than other grocery stores. Meat I generally buy at Ukrop's or Farm Fresh. If I have the time I will drive out to Sam's Club, but if I just needs some steaks to throw on the grill, Ukrop's it is. If I'm feeding important out of town guests or just want to spoil my hubby one night, I will buy meat from the Fresh Market. I rarely shop at Food Lion, but I know plenty of people that do shop there. Again, if I need some name brand item then I will stop by the Food Lion to pick up what I need, but I generally stick with Fresh Market, Ukrop's and Wal-Mart.
Good luck!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,757 times
I love the Harris Teeters in Virginia Beach. They have the best customer service I've seen in a grocery store. I'm really surprised to hear you were treated so rudely. Make sure to follow up with your complaint. I used to shop at Kroger more but since the one near my house closed, I don't any more. I was ok with Kroger but you can't even compare their customer service to HT's. I also like the Fresh Market, but I only buy certain things there like fresh produce, bakery items, meat and items on sale. It's best to follow the sales at any store. I buy certain things at BJ's too. I also recommend the new Fresh World that opened where Kroger used to be. They have a big variety of fresh produce, mostly Asian and Mexican. And Trader Joe's, one of my favorite stores, is coming to VB soon!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,172,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDBITL View Post
Is 'Aldi' in the area?
No closest Aldi to Williamsburg is Danville or Frederickburg VA. Did you know the same company that own's Aldi owns Trader Joes ?
No similarity in store concepts though.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,172,233 times
[quote=Aibutiej;6850572]This is an interesting thread because I am moving to Williamsburg later this year (yes, that is still the plan) and often wonder what my grocery shopping will be like there.

I was just looking at a cost of living comparison chart between Norwalk and Williamsburg. It showed food costs at 128% of national average in Norwalk and 95% of national average here in Williamsburg Va.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,206,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondback13 View Post
Erma,
I realize that you dislike Harris Teeter - point taken. As far as "going out to your truck" to get your card - why not just let them look you up by your telephone number? I've done that dozens of times there. .
I wouldn't use the word "dislike," it's just not my store to boast about nor commend on their customer accommodations. I realize employees have different personalities, but I wouldn't put HT on a pedestal. IF HT customer service was that good, they would not have even sent me out there. I did mention plugging in our number, many times Kroger has done that. That is what I would call customer accommodations, but HT probably didn't want to go the extra minute that day.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 AM

17,379 posts, read 15,846,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom35 View Post
I love the Harris Teeters in Virginia Beach. They have the best customer service I've seen in a grocery store. I'm really surprised to hear you were treated so rudely. Make sure to follow up with your complaint. I used to shop at Kroger more but since the one near my house closed, I don't any more. I was ok with Kroger but you can't even compare their customer service to HT's. I also like the Fresh Market, but I only buy certain things there like fresh produce, bakery items, meat and items on sale. It's best to follow the sales at any store. I buy certain things at BJ's too. I also recommend the new Fresh World that opened where Kroger used to be. They have a big variety of fresh produce, mostly Asian and Mexican. And Trader Joe's, one of my favorite stores, is coming to VB soon!
Amazingly, the best customer service I've had in THIS area, in a grocery store, is the Farm Fresh nearest me. It's relatively new, and I was completely taken aback as to the difference in attitudes in the staff there. Really really refreshing. I shop at all of 'em...really don't have a fave. But I go to Walmart when I have a load to buy - though I hate most WalMarts - I go to the new one whenever possible, and that one beats the others hands down - no crowds, no lines. S'wonnerful. But I know it's only a matter of time.

And really REALLY looking forward to Trader Joe's! I've been to the one in NN twice....but only when I was out that way for something else. Too far!!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 AM

358 posts, read 895,286 times
I have been shopping at Harris Teeter for the past 5 years, never had a complaint there. My wife and I also hit up Trader Joes several times a month as well. We really do not shop anywhere else, occasionally Costco and we may pick up something at Target if we are there for something else. We are looking foward to checking out Fresh Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area