Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 21,905 times

Advertisements

It's on the corner of Witchduck and Virginia Blvd., not the old Value City ( on the north/east corner). I haven't been down there since around Easter, so I don't know if it openned yet. As far as the bakery, the only one I know of is a Korean couple's on Warwick Blvd. in Newport News right next to the huge E-Mart Asian and Latino supermarket. They have a lot of good things. It looks like a shop that would be in Japan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 05:53 PM

9 posts, read 31,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenb View Post
My wife and I have recently moved to Newport News, near city center.

We use the usual Walmart/Costco/Foodlion for our daily needs. However, we also need to find some decent chinese / oriental grocery stores to supplement our grocery shopping.

As we are new to the area and have no idea where to find the best chinese/ oriental grocery stores around here, we'd like to seek advice from the experts here. We are fine if it is within the Hampton Roads area (doesn't have to be in Newport News), just as long as they area within a 25mi radius.

If anyone knows, please kindly let we know. Thanks in advance!
Newport News
Asia Grocery - 6139 Jefferson Avenue, (757) 826-9553
Far Eastern Food Store - 340 Oriana Road Suite E, (757) 874-9417
Jung Hah Oriental Market - 13310 Warwick Boulevard, (757) 872-8781
Mekong International Food - 13754 Warwick Boulevard Suite B, (757) 833-6673

I lifted this bit from envyeyes a few posts back I know where 2 of these places are

Asia Grocery - 6139 Jefferson Avenue, (757) 826-9553
If you turn out of the city center onto jefferson turn left and head towards downtown it will be a few miles down the road on the right just before you get to Mercury Blvd. This store is Owned by Cambobians and has pretty much everything you'll be looking for they have plenty of rice and fresh fish Etc. I don't personally like this place because it stinks like death from the fish but my wife doesn't seem to mind too much whatever

Far Eastern Food Store - 340 Oriana Road Suite E, (757) 874-9417
If you turn left onto Oyster Point go across Jefferson to Warwickand turn right proceed down warwick and on the right you'll see a pep boys and just after that there's an international foods place which is my wifes favorite but thats not the place listed here if you proceed farther down warwick once you get to denbigh go past it and the very next light (Maybe 100 yards away) turn left and Far Eastern Food Store is behind Taco Bell That place is owned by Koreans it's well stocked, nice, it doesn't stink and they ship packages overseas they always have lots of calling cards too.

The best place to go to though is the one you'll pass going to Far Eastern it's big (used to be a regular grocery store) and very well stocked they have everything you would want. The only drawback is the neighborhood the street that runs next to it is the road to the Aquaduct Apts. which are notorious in newport news. Just be careful and park right in front of the store, which is no problem, and make sure you lock your doors and you'll never have an issue there. I just want to warn you that there are dangers before you go just FYI. honestly though none of these asian stores are in nice neighborhoods.

Last edited by Robizzo; 05-22-2009 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area