Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:51 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrak View Post
As a (very) long-time Cox subscriber in the past, I just have to ask...how much are you paying for that 30mb speed??? I was paying 50 bucks a month for high-speed Cox internet and they said my max speed was 10mb(not that I ever reached speeds so high when I ran online speedtests). I'm now paying 55 a month with FIOS and get 25 mb. Much, much better.

I just checked the Cox site. Their highest priced residential plan only states max speeds of 20mb. I'm sure if anyone could potentially hit 30mb they would have that listed as a max speed. You have to be on a business plan.
It's called PowerBoost, which the site gives a relative estimate of what it can do. No, it's not a business plan. As for what I pay? $50. When I get home (which won't be until late), I'll make sure to post the results from a speed test.

Now, I'll admit that if Verizon gets the right infrastructure going, they can easily drop 50mb or better for residential customers. They're still in the install phase (which, my address is not even a "valid address" in their system), so I'm waiting to see what happens when they've finished the install phase and moved up to the next phase. Until then, Cox is quite comparable for someone, like myself, who really only uses the internet service.

I'm also waiting to see how Broadband over Power Lines picks up.

Oh, and something I find funny (and I'm sure you will, too) is when people think that just because they have a faster internet connection, that all websites and downloads should match that speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:07 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I ran a speed test of my internet last night. I'm pulling around 30mb. I don't think I'm gonna switch to FIOS anytime soon.

I get everything I want already.

Best idea, though, would be to change the IP address of your secondar router to something like 192.168.2.1 - that way you can access both routers with no issue. This is extremely easy to do and will save a lot of headaches.
Rita unless you have a business line, I think your test may be off.
Try this link
MCS MyVoIP - VoIP Quality Test

This will test not only download & upload speeds but voip phone quality.
Cox residential is maxed at 20mbps.

I agree, if you are satisfied with your service, why switch. You are probably at the front end of you neighborhood. The last connections suffer greatly. I was the 2nd to last in my area.

As far as the router goes you are correct, but some routers (like the Verizon router) will not allow change of IP address. Not knowing that persons infrastructure or level of expertise, I kept it basic. Actually unless there is some special condition they can just replace their original router.

Last edited by NJR; 01-06-2010 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 03:14 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
It's called PowerBoost, which the site gives a relative estimate of what it can do.
Oh yes I forgot to mention. Cox provides powerboost. This will give you a false reading. Powerboost works for the fist few minutes of a download then stops. So of course the test will be skewed. It does not apply to uploads. It works great for normal use. I really noticed the difference when my son goes on you tube or play online games (they eat your bandwidth)
With cox I saw a definite slowdown & my phone quality was bad (clicking) With Fios it is clean & fast. I am shocked at how much faster my son can play games like Quake & Doom

These is my current test with him now playing Quake online & my wife on the phone

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 24818232 bps
Upload speed: 18671320 bps
Quality of service: 94 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket

BTW just to mention, my brother works for Cox, so I did consult him.

Last edited by NJR; 01-06-2010 at 03:22 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 03:41 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,184 times
These are good comments. I think I am making a good switch.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
Oh yes I forgot to mention. Cox provides powerboost. This will give you a false reading. Powerboost works for the fist few minutes of a download then stops. So of course the test will be skewed. It does not apply to uploads. It works great for normal use. I really noticed the difference when my son goes on you tube or play online games (they eat your bandwidth)
With cox I saw a definite slowdown & my phone quality was bad (clicking) With Fios it is clean & fast. I am shocked at how much faster my son can play games like Quake & Doom

These is my current test with him now playing Quake online & my wife on the phone

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 24818232 bps
Upload speed: 18671320 bps
Quality of service: 94 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket

BTW just to mention, my brother works for Cox, so I did consult him.
Powerboost does indeed only last a few minutes - skewing download results. But it does show the potential that Cox has to offer (should they upgrade infrastructure). Base speed does sit at around 20mb. ((Which is not exactly bad))

I've never had a single problem with the phone clicking - even when all of us are playing online games. I also rarely use the TV - with exception for PBS Sprout for my little girl. No need for 500 channels - 'cause there'd still be nothing to watch.

But different areas/neighborhoods have different levels of activity and stability. I've got a stable and working service, so why fix it?

And don't we all know somebody who works for Cox?

Quote:
These are good comments. I think I am making a good switch.
Good to hear.

As far as technology and upgradeability goes - Verizon has the edge. Fiber Optics has a lot more potential than copper. When Verizon's Internet has reached the 50 mark (and not for $100+), I'll be looking to switch, also.

Until then, they're comparable for my needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area