U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 5,626,626 times
Reputation: 2432

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedOutOfOhio View Post
I'm a 22 y/o male working in call center management who wants to move out of Ohio this spring. I want a nice climate, close to the beach, and a decent job market and cost of living. I don't go out a lot, but a good nightlife would still be a plus. I also write, and would like a decent intellectual, artistic community. Out of the above list, Ohio has the cost of living... see my dilemma?

How are the sales/call center jobs in the area? What about marketing and technology jobs, for moving along my career? How bad will cost of living hit me? I don't like to drive, and would love not to have to pay for a car, so I would prefer an area with good public transportation. Obviously, I'd like the most reasonable rent possible, preferably less than $600-800 a month for studios or one bedrooms. How is the dating scene? Is Norfolk or any of the surrounding area what I'm looking for? If not, any suggestions on another area?

Thanks!

Quick answers

Climate- The climate is about the only thing decent about the area

Job Market- Lol. At least you work in a call center though, that is one of the few fields that have a whole lot of work in the area. One of the first things youll find out about the area is that it is a cess pool of dead end jobs. As another poster said, if you dont own your own business, or are connected to the military, or your job is not based in the local economy(national sales or regional manager for example), you are likely just scraping by. There is almost no corporate presence and it is very common to see college grads starting off at half of their national starting salary, and in jobs far beneath their training, or not related to their training at all. The fact that there are so many local colleges, and no jobs for college grads, coupled with the fact that there is practically no affordable housing that doesnt require the issue of bullet proof vest as part of the contract process, has led to a massive brain drain of the area.


Cost of living- As other posters have mentioned, Virginia Beach and Chesapeake, the only cities in the area that are largely safe, rank consistantly in the lists of most overpriced cities in the country. You will not find a city on the south east coast north of Florida that has incomes as far out of proportion to cost of living as Virginia Beach, VA.


Public Transportation- Good luck with that. The only public transportation the area has is a highly unreliable at best, public bus system. There is no rail as of yet (and the public is fighting the implementation of one tooth and nail), and the area has one of the worst traffic problems in the country for its size. You may be able to get housing near town center or downtown norfolk and be within walking distance, but the area is not pedestrian friendly by and large.


Rent- $600-$800? Well, there are a couple aparments I know of in decent areas that are still around there, Carolanne Farms on Princess Anne Rd in Virginia Beach comes to mind, but overall, thats going to get you a place in a very bad area. You certainly will not be able to get a house payment in that range.


Intellectual community- See "brain drain" in the job market section. A good deal of people who are intellectual, especially those with college degrees do not stay here long. Your best bet for this are some of the communities near ODU, such as Ghent or Larchmont, but these tend to be pretty much outside of your stated price range.


My suggestion to you, would be to stay in the midwest, just get out of the cess pool of Ohio. Indianapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Oklahoma City.......they all have very promising outlooks, and probably would have far more of what you are looking for.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Virginia
1,591 posts, read 3,349,973 times
Reputation: 1260
^
If you honestly feel the only good thing about this area is the climate, I suggest you live somewhere else.

Jobs aren't that hard to find, especially when websites like flipdog.com, craigslist.org, and monster.com focus primarily on helping you find one. Here's the link to craigslist:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/jjj/ --over 150 job listings posted today alone.

$600-$800 is a decent price for rent around here too. Craigslist again:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/search/hhh?query=&minAsk=600&maxAsk=800&bedrooms=

No, not all of them are in bad areas. And it's not impossible to find a house in that range either. My grandfather has properties all over Hampton Roads and usually his rent is in that range. The definition of a "very bad" area is highly subjective, and compared to many cities (including some in Ohio I'm sure the OP is familiar with) we don't have any in HR.

To the OP, there's only so much about a place you can learn from the web. Have you ever actually been here? If not, please do! It might be EXACTLY what you're looking for. Randomdude openly hates this area and may not be the best source of info.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 5,626,626 times
Reputation: 2432
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
^
If you honestly feel the only good thing about this area is the climate, I suggest you live somewhere else.

Jobs aren't that hard to find, especially when websites like flipdog.com, craigslist.org, and monster.com focus primarily on helping you find one. Here's the link to craigslist:

hampton roads all jobs classifieds - craigslist --over 150 job listings posted today alone.

$600-$800 is a decent price for rent around here too. Craigslist again:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/search/hhh?query=&minAsk=600&maxAsk=800&bedrooms=

No, not all of them are in bad areas. And it's not impossible to find a house in that range either. My grandfather has properties all over Hampton Roads and usually his rent is in that range. The definition of a "very bad" area is highly subjective, and compared to many cities (including some in Ohio I'm sure the OP is familiar with) we don't have any in HR.

To the OP, there's only so much about a place you can learn from the web. Have you ever actually been here? If not, please do! It might be EXACTLY what you're looking for. Randomdude openly hates this area and may not be the best source of info.

1. I suggest I live somewhere else too! Unfortunatley, moving isnt free, and my terrific Hampton Roads job doesnt allow me to put a whole lot away.

2. Have you ever actually checked out the pay for the majority of those jobs? Yeah, jobs in Hampton Roads are plentiful, thats a fact. This area always beats the national unemployment rates. The problem is, WHAT ARE THOSE JOBS? I can make 15%-25% more in almost ANY metro area in the country doing the exact same thing Im doing here. Thing is, I can get a 4 bedroom 2 bath 2500 sqft house in some of those areas for under 150k, and in a posh suburb at that. Here, I can get a townhouse in the gutter.

3. Have you checked out those apartments on that list? In fact, many arent even apartments at all, they are rooms for rent. In addition you have senior living facilities, income restricted housing, and most of them are in terrible areas, just a few from page one, a few in Ocean View, a couple in Campostella Heights, Park Place, East End Newport News, etc.

4. We dont have any "really bad areas" in Hampton Roads? Are you kidding me? Have you ever even been in Park Place? Huntersville? Fairmount? East End Newport News? Yeah, the cities of Hampton Roads are not terrible on a whole, but they have some incredibly terrible areas that would fit in with any bad city in this country. Park Place looks like a scene right out of inner city Detroit with the boarded up decaying buildings, and visible crime on the streets at all hours.


5. I do openly hate this area, but my information is never slanted. I quote facts or personal experience when possible, and try to directly state when something is solely my personal opinion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Virginia
1,591 posts, read 3,349,973 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
1. I suggest I live somewhere else too! Unfortunatley, moving isnt free, and my terrific Hampton Roads job doesnt allow me to put a whole lot away.

2. Have you ever actually checked out the pay for the majority of those jobs? Yeah, jobs in Hampton Roads are plentiful, thats a fact. This area always beats the national unemployment rates. The problem is, WHAT ARE THOSE JOBS? I can make 15%-25% more in almost ANY metro area in the country doing the exact same thing Im doing here. Thing is, I can get a 4 bedroom 2 bath 2500 sqft house in some of those areas for under 150k, and in a posh suburb at that. Here, I can get a townhouse in the gutter.

3. Have you checked out those apartments on that list? In fact, many arent even apartments at all, they are rooms for rent. In addition you have senior living facilities, income restricted housing, and most of them are in terrible areas, just a few from page one, a few in Ocean View, a couple in Campostella Heights, Park Place, East End Newport News, etc.

4. We dont have any "really bad areas" in Hampton Roads? Are you kidding me? Have you ever even been in Park Place? Huntersville? Fairmount? East End Newport News? Yeah, the cities of Hampton Roads are not terrible on a whole, but they have some incredibly terrible areas that would fit in with any bad city in this country. Park Place looks like a scene right out of inner city Detroit with the boarded up decaying buildings, and visible crime on the streets at all hours.


5. I do openly hate this area, but my information is never slanted. I quote facts or personal experience when possible, and try to directly state when something is solely my personal opinion.
I'm not going to debate you on the job thing. My definition of a "cess pool of dead end jobs" is clearly different than yours. A lot of the jobs on craigslist seem like specialist jobs, and if I fell under one of those categories I would definitely apply. Maybe that's just me though. And craigslist is just one place to look for jobs. Try theladders.com for 100K and up salary listings.

I did look at some of the apartments, and I never said all of them were in fantastic areas. I said not all of them are in bad areas and that's true. Sure, some of them are in Park Place and the East End, but some are in Ghent, Pungo, Hilltop, the Oceanfront, and so on. And although you may consider Park Place and the East End of NN "very bad", many people cherish those areas. The people who call those areas home often wouldn't want them any other way, and in many cases those places have a high sense of community that a lot of people look for. I'm with you, though. I wouldn't want to live in Park Place either. I work near there and that's as close I want to get, but what I meant by saying those areas aren't "very bad" is when I compared them to some places in the OP's home state of Ohio. Look at cities like Youngstown and Cleveland. Both are considered one of the worst cities in America. We don't have ghettos like that here. When I think of "very bad" I think of North Philly, East St. Louis, Little Haiti, New Orleans's 9th Ward, etc. Park Place, East End, and Ocean View are way better.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 5,626,626 times
Reputation: 2432
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I'm not going to debate you on the job thing. My definition of a "cess pool of dead end jobs" is clearly different than yours. A lot of the jobs on craigslist seem like specialist jobs, and if I fell under one of those categories I would definitely apply. Maybe that's just me though. And craigslist is just one place to look for jobs. Try theladders.com for 100K and up salary listings.

I did look at some of the apartments, and I never said all of them were in fantastic areas. I said not all of them are in bad areas and that's true. Sure, some of them are in Park Place and the East End, but some are in Ghent, Pungo, Hilltop, the Oceanfront, and so on. And although you may consider Park Place and the East End of NN "very bad", many people cherish those areas. The people who call those areas home often wouldn't want them any other way, and in many cases those places have a high sense of community that a lot of people look for. I'm with you, though. I wouldn't want to live in Park Place either. I work near there and that's as close I want to get, but what I meant by saying those areas aren't "very bad" is when I compared them to some places in the OP's home state of Ohio. Look at cities like Youngstown and Cleveland. Both are considered one of the worst cities in America. We don't have ghettos like that here. When I think of "very bad" I think of North Philly, East St. Louis, Little Haiti, New Orleans's 9th Ward, etc. Park Place, East End, and Ocean View are way better.

You can look anywhere on the jobs front, Careerbuilder, Monster, craigslist, take your pick. The majority of professions pay much more most other places in the country, including many with much lower costs of living. I really have spent countless hours researching this, and for years.


As far as the rough areas are concerned, yeah, our "bad areas" do not stack up to the roughest of the rough, but they arent good, and they do stack up to many of the rougher areas in the country. Like I said, Id put Park Place up against most parts of any rough city and I bet it fits right in for the most part. As for the people living in Park Place, a great deal of them do not like the condition, and I dont know many who wouldnt have a long list of changes theyd like to see. I cant imagine there are a whole lot who are comfortable with the way it is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Virginia
1,591 posts, read 3,349,973 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You can look anywhere on the jobs front, Careerbuilder, Monster, craigslist, take your pick. The majority of professions pay much more most other places in the country, including many with much lower costs of living. I really have spent countless hours researching this, and for years.


As far as the rough areas are concerned, yeah, our "bad areas" do not stack up to the roughest of the rough, but they arent good, and they do stack up to many of the rougher areas in the country. Like I said, Id put Park Place up against most parts of any rough city and I bet it fits right in for the most part. As for the people living in Park Place, a great deal of them do not like the condition, and I dont know many who wouldnt have a long list of changes theyd like to see. I cant imagine there are a whole lot who are comfortable with the way it is.
I'm sure you're right about the jobs paying better. My job is secure so I don't need to research anything. Good luck to you in that respect.

How many people do you know from Park Place? I work as an insurance agent near PP, so many of my insureds live around there and I very rarely hear complaints from them. Most of the complaints come from the foreigners I have insured that moved to places like PP and aren't used to those sort of conditions. I deal with clientele from all over Norfolk and of all different lifestyles, and honestly, my most loyal and respectful clients are from some of the roughest areas in the city. They seem to be happy and grateful for what they have.

Just as a side note, the worst area in Norfolk, IMO, are the neighborhoods off of E. Little Creek Rd between Southern Shopping Center and Wards Corner. I actually had to walk around in there for my job once. Of all the neighborhoods in all the cities I've been in, I never felt that nervous before.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 5,626,626 times
Reputation: 2432
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I'm sure you're right about the jobs paying better. My job is secure so I don't need to research anything. Good luck to you in that respect.

How many people do you know from Park Place? I work as an insurance agent near PP, so many of my insureds live around there and I very rarely hear complaints from them. Most of the complaints come from the foreigners I have insured that moved to places like PP and aren't used to those sort of conditions. I deal with clientele from all over Norfolk and of all different lifestyles, and honestly, my most loyal and respectful clients are from some of the roughest areas in the city. They seem to be happy and grateful for what they have.

Just as a side note, the worst area in Norfolk, IMO, are the neighborhoods off of E. Little Creek Rd between Southern Shopping Center and Wards Corner. I actually had to walk around in there for my job once. Of all the neighborhoods in all the cities I've been in, I never felt that nervous before.

I know a couple people from Park Place, and I used to go through there all the time when I went to ODU, and talked to some people in some of the surrounding businesses, but most of what I know comes from what I read as quotes from its residents.

However, its not a coincidence that many from outside complain more. Did you think for a second that maybe the life long Park Place residents have become used to things, and complacent about things, that no person should have to simply become "used to"? Prostitutes outside your door, bullets flying, drug deals on the corner, sirens, random people knocking on your door trying to hide. Who is "ok" with any of this? The fact that they dont constantly complain all the time is not evidence that they enjoy where they are at, or that they wouldnt want to be some place safer. Its more likely that they have simply settled with the fact that it is where they are at, and its not likely going to change.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Virginia
1,591 posts, read 3,349,973 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I know a couple people from Park Place, and I used to go through there all the time when I went to ODU, and talked to some people in some of the surrounding businesses, but most of what I know comes from what I read as quotes from its residents.

However, its not a coincidence that many from outside complain more. Did you think for a second that maybe the life long Park Place residents have become used to things, and complacent about things, that no person should have to simply become "used to"? Prostitutes outside your door, bullets flying, drug deals on the corner, sirens, random people knocking on your door trying to hide. Who is "ok" with any of this? The fact that they dont constantly complain all the time is not evidence that they enjoy where they are at, or that they wouldnt want to be some place safer. Its more likely that they have simply settled with the fact that it is where they are at, and its not likely going to change.
I disagree. Constant complaining WOULD be evidence of wanting a change, but lack thereof doesn't prove complacence. Life is not an Either-Or fallacy and you know that. Yeah, I'm sure some people feel that way, but there's no way you can make me believe the entire neighborhood does. I spent my entire childhood in a rough neighborhood in Norfolk called Bromley. So yes, I did get used to drug deals on my street and prostitution on the corner. I was aware that people got in fights and ran with gangs and got robbed and sometimes killed. But those things weren't things I simply "got used to" and just said, "Hey, this place'll never change." They're things I grew up with, and yeah I had to be careful and I wasn't allowed to hang out on certain streets or see my friends in other neighborhoods without my mom and all that, but I LOVED living in Bromley anyway. I cried when my mom decided to move us to Virginia Beach. Despite all the awful things that happened in Bromley back then, many great things happened too. I had tons of friends. I learned to be grateful for what I had. I learned to have respect for EVERY person, whether they be homeless, an addict, a thug, or an upright citizen. The person I am today is largely because of the foundation I was given while living in Bromley. You act like just because Park Place has crime that everyone there hates their lives and wishes their neighborhood would change, and that's NOT always the case. The majority of them understand the philosophy that life can always be worse. The majority of them understand that with gentrification and change comes higher rent, and they'd have to move to somewhere else - another ghetto of Norfolk, I'm sure. Just look at what many residents of Harlem are saying about all the gentrification going on. They hate it. They like Harlem the way it is, the good and the bad. There's a lot of history in places like Harlem and Park Place and the residents don't want to lose that.

Not all these people in Park Place feel like they're living in a prison. Many of them choose to live there. I know people there, people I've actually talked to and not read about, that have moved away and actually moved back. Comfort zones can be anywhere. Just because yours isn't Park Place doesn't mean no one's is. And this doesn't just happen in Park Place. I still know people in Bromley (granted it isn't as bad as it was in the 90's) that were there before me and still there today and totally happy with life. I know a lady from the projects in Downtown Norfolk (I forget the name, Youngs Park I think?) who has been through a lot in her life, but she still loves living in the projects. She rolls with the punches, looks at her life as a work of her God and trusts that he will do what's right. She's also one of the sweetest people I know. She's not miserable and probably has a right to be. She's actually very optimistic about her situation because she knows it could be worse. The homeless guy on the corner? She sees him and says, "Thank God I have a home!" The addict knocking on her door at 3am asking for $4 dollars? She sees her and says, "Thank God I stayed away from drugs!" Life is what you make it. If a person can have every opportunity in the world, have every resource at their finger tips, have the support of their family and friends to achieve their dreams and goals and still be depressed, a person from the ghetto can look at what they have and be happy, grateful, appreciative, and leave well enough alone just as easily.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
 
162 posts, read 417,182 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
Hi, IMO, short answer is no . Take a look at some of the other posts on this board and you will get a feel for the positives and the negatives of this area. Some people love it here and others hate it here. One thing to note is that you mentioned Norfolk, but this area is really made up of 7 cities all intertwined such as Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, so when considering a move here you can take the Hampton Roads area as a whole. Here are my thoughts on your list above.

Nice Climate - We do have that, winters are mild and we have 4 seasons. Summers are hot and humid, but not as bad as say Florida.

Close to the Beach - Check, most anywhere in Hampton Roads you can get to the beach in less than an hour.

Cost of Living - Prepare to be shocked. The COL is high and when average salary is factored in, this is in the top ten most expensive places in the country. I wouldn't expect to pay less than $800 for a decent 1 bedroom and you are probably looking at more like $800-$1000. I know my last apartment is now going for around $940 a month and it was just an average place.

Intellectual, Artisitc Community - There is an area in Norfolk called Ghent that sort of has this, but we aren't really known for that here so you would be better off with this in another city.

Good Nightlife - Nothing special really, most any big city will have bars/clubs so this probably wouldn't make/break your decision to move here.

Public Transportation - You will need a car if you live here, things are spread out and there is no real downtown area that would give you everything you need within walking distance. The public transportation system is pretty lacking.

Jobs/Career Advancement - Unless you are military or connected to the military, the job market here is pretty awful. Very few jobs and if you do find one, it will most likely pay low especially in sales/call center type jobs. Making under $30K with a degree is common here. Not a lot of corporate type jobs either that would offer the opportunity for advancement.

Dating Scene - Ugh, for a 22 year old male the dating scene is, hmm, can't think of a word worse than god awful, so yeah god awful. Have you ever seen the show The Bachelorette? Think of it like that just on a larger scale.

Have posted similar things in other posts so sorry if I sound like a broken record. But I know what it is like when you are thinking of moving to a new area and know nothing about it. If you are looking for a larger city type environment, here is a link that shows some good cities for young professionals.

Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

These would be my picks:

Raleigh
Austin
Milwaukee
Charlotte
Chicago
Minneapolis

Are you looking at a certain area of the country, or are you open to any area? I know you said you wanted close to the beach, is that an absolute requirement or are you ok with inland areas if they meet your other criteria? Let us know and we can maybe suggest some other areas. Or people can disagree with me and say you should move here instead .
Good post but I do have to disagree with some things.

First is the climate. This area is really a lousy climate. May is nice as is the end of September. The winters are cold. I don't seem to recall any 80 degree days last February Anyway, the summers are just as hot and humid as Florida and the winters, like I said, are cold. Granted they're not as cold as Ohio, but it's not short sleeves weather! Weather.com can compare areas for you, it's a good tool.

While it is close to the beach, unless you consider a giant ashtray to be appealing, I suggest you find a different spot to swim. This is mostly in regards to the main VA Beach oceanfront. There are some secluded beaches but there's nothing to do around them except sit on the beach.

I wouldn't consider this an artsy community. While Ghent has some beatnik types, this is not a place that genius comes out of.

As stated, we have no public transportation around here. We have a bus line that goes around, but I would hardly consider that viable. You must have a car.

I do see a lot of ads for call center type jobs but IMO they always look like scams so who knows.

Although I have never visited, from what I've read I think Sarasota, FL would be a good fit for you.

They seem to value culture, the arts, the beach, they seem to have nice weather, and all the amenities you would need.

The Official Source of Travel Information for Sarasota

Check out the drum circle, too
And the Beat Goes On - Official source of Sarasota travel information Sarasota and Her Islands (http://www.sarasotafl.org/cms/d/and_the_beat_goes_on.php - broken link)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 5,626,626 times
Reputation: 2432
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I disagree. Constant complaining WOULD be evidence of wanting a change, but lack thereof doesn't prove complacence. Life is not an Either-Or fallacy and you know that. Yeah, I'm sure some people feel that way, but there's no way you can make me believe the entire neighborhood does. I spent my entire childhood in a rough neighborhood in Norfolk called Bromley. So yes, I did get used to drug deals on my street and prostitution on the corner. I was aware that people got in fights and ran with gangs and got robbed and sometimes killed. But those things weren't things I simply "got used to" and just said, "Hey, this place'll never change." They're things I grew up with, and yeah I had to be careful and I wasn't allowed to hang out on certain streets or see my friends in other neighborhoods without my mom and all that, but I LOVED living in Bromley anyway. I cried when my mom decided to move us to Virginia Beach. Despite all the awful things that happened in Bromley back then, many great things happened too. I had tons of friends. I learned to be grateful for what I had. I learned to have respect for EVERY person, whether they be homeless, an addict, a thug, or an upright citizen. The person I am today is largely because of the foundation I was given while living in Bromley. You act like just because Park Place has crime that everyone there hates their lives and wishes their neighborhood would change, and that's NOT always the case. The majority of them understand the philosophy that life can always be worse. The majority of them understand that with gentrification and change comes higher rent, and they'd have to move to somewhere else - another ghetto of Norfolk, I'm sure. Just look at what many residents of Harlem are saying about all the gentrification going on. They hate it. They like Harlem the way it is, the good and the bad. There's a lot of history in places like Harlem and Park Place and the residents don't want to lose that.

Not all these people in Park Place feel like they're living in a prison. Many of them choose to live there. I know people there, people I've actually talked to and not read about, that have moved away and actually moved back. Comfort zones can be anywhere. Just because yours isn't Park Place doesn't mean no one's is. And this doesn't just happen in Park Place. I still know people in Bromley (granted it isn't as bad as it was in the 90's) that were there before me and still there today and totally happy with life. I know a lady from the projects in Downtown Norfolk (I forget the name, Youngs Park I think?) who has been through a lot in her life, but she still loves living in the projects. She rolls with the punches, looks at her life as a work of her God and trusts that he will do what's right. She's also one of the sweetest people I know. She's not miserable and probably has a right to be. She's actually very optimistic about her situation because she knows it could be worse. The homeless guy on the corner? She sees him and says, "Thank God I have a home!" The addict knocking on her door at 3am asking for $4 dollars? She sees her and says, "Thank God I stayed away from drugs!" Life is what you make it. If a person can have every opportunity in the world, have every resource at their finger tips, have the support of their family and friends to achieve their dreams and goals and still be depressed, a person from the ghetto can look at what they have and be happy, grateful, appreciative, and leave well enough alone just as easily.

Im sure that there are people who enjoy Park Place, probably mostly the older residents who have spent a life time there. I also never claimed that people "hate their lives" because they live there.

However, the fact is, places like Park Place, are, for most people, a place of being stuck. Most people who have been able to scrape together the means have long ago left, hence the many abandoned buildings. They have been replaced, if at all, by people of even lower means.

When I was a young child, I lived in a nice neighborhood, and I watched it, over 8 years, turn in to a crack "hood" controlled by gangs. The neighborhood started middle class, but ended up filled with people in poverty and depending on government assistance programs. Every family who could leave that neighborhood, jumped ship. By the time my family left at the start of my 7th grade year, nobody who I played with in elementary school remained. None of the neighbors we used to trick or treat at, none of the families who my moms children would babysit, or the family's of our baby sitters. Just one family we knew remained, and my parents used to keep in contact with them for a while, and kept posted on just how far the neighborhood went down hill. It had nothing to do with the Navy, because none of the kids I knew had parents in the Navy, and even the older people sold and left. People just left because the neighborhood was bad, and they wanted better. However, some people, probably ended up stuck there, because they couldnt leave, or had no better option. As you stated, some people depend on living in the low housing costs of bad areas, and if the neighborhood was any better, they likely couldnt afford to live in it.


I went by there recently to look around, and had to swerve around about 6 cop cars and a dog unit likely on a drug bust parked outside a house. It looked worse, but the same as when I left about 15 years ago. Gangs parading down the street, cars parked up in yards, poorly maintained properties. I could not help but think, just how many of the residents would actually stay there if their income allowed them any other option.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top