Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 04:02 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times

Advertisements

Hey, I was just wondering how the Ocean view area of Norfolk is? I have a friend looking at a home near Grandby Street off of 460 and was wondering if it was a nice part of Norfolk? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Hey, I was just wondering how the Ocean view area of Norfolk is? I have a friend looking at a home near Grandby Street off of 460 and was wondering if it was a nice part of Norfolk? Thanks!!
Ocean View used to be bad. It is trying to clean itself up. As of right now, i'd say "edgy". It is more about what you'll tolerate. Go visit the area you're considering (at night and on weekends preferably) and make observations. If it looks seedy and not somewhere you aren't comfortable chances are your instincts are right.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:35 PM

11 posts, read 34,716 times
yeah i agree like alanboy395 said they are trying to clean it up they instaled camers around the area to catch drug dealers and such but if you have a good life insurance policy then you should move thier if you want to cash in lol DONT LIVE THEIR

Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
If you live in a neighborhood where the city has security cameras installed in a attempt to deter crime, its too late............

Old 05-13-2009, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 28,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I have lived in the East Ocean View area for 8 months and I love it! My spouse and I are young professionals and love being so close to the beach. All the people here are very friendly and we are lucky to have such nice neighbors. We were very skeptical when thinking of buying a home in this area beacuse we heard there was a lot of crime, but we took a chance and now love life in EOV.

The beach here is quiet and beautiful. It is not crazy like VA Beach, packed with people on every inch of sand. I love living here and in some ways I am glad that East Ocean View has a bad reputation, more beach for me to enjoy.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 AM

43 posts, read 113,594 times
@ Alohayankee.. Were abouts are you in EOV? It's on my list of places to check out and it seems like you found a good part.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:05 PM

10 posts, read 42,974 times
A friend of mine was renting one of those "nice new homes" there 2 years ago. While she was deployed in Iraq, the house was broken into. Her roommate was murdered and the house was set on fire. The news never reported it, but it was a gang initiation. Google EOV, murder and arson and you should be able to find info about it. I'm not a fear monger when it comes to crime and neighborhoods, but that is one place I would not move to. Especially if you have kids.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 PM

486 posts, read 1,948,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk08551 View Post
A friend of mine was renting one of those "nice new homes" there 2 years ago. While she was deployed in Iraq, the house was broken into. Her roommate was murdered and the house was set on fire. The news never reported it, but it was a gang initiation. Google EOV, murder and arson and you should be able to find info about it. I'm not a fear monger when it comes to crime and neighborhoods, but that is one place I would not move to. Especially if you have kids.
I heard about that from a bartender at Surf Rider who was a friend of the deceased. The houses in that area are nice and the beach is nice, but the problem is that crack houses are a couple blocks away from the oceanfront. You see vagrants and prostitutes walking down Shore Dr. in that area 24 hours a day. My other concern with the area was that I felt very uncomfortable going to the stores in the area, especially after dark. You have to realize that there is a reason why oceanfront real estate in that area is so inexpensive, or everyone would be buying there. With regards to the comment about Va Beach being so crowded, yes, the tourist areas are crowded, but the area where we bought (between the Lessner Bridge and the Lynnhaven Pier) is not at all crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area