Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 12,155 times

Advertisements

Just a response to randondude's posting. I am not from here, but stayed after separating from the military because of a decent job offer, and with the economy in the tank I'm staying put for now. I agree with him that there are not many young professional's in this area comparied to growing cities such as Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta .The work force seems older (excluding the large number of 18-20 year old soldiers, sailors, etc.) and more blue collar. Other than jobs in the military, government, defense sector, there isn't much in Hampton Roads and yes, the houses are way overpriced and quite unattractive, for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 05:10 PM

162 posts, read 638,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Newport News and Hampton are much safer than Portsmouth or Norfolk. Look at the 2008 crime statistics for the facts. Parts of both NN and Hampton are very nice with rural areas, and beautiful waterfront neighboorhoods. Yes, both cities have bad areas (East End in NN), however do not stereotype the whole area because of it

If you'll be attending school in Chesapeake, I'd be looking for a home there also. You can get to a number of cities easily enough from there. Definitely live "on the same side of the water" where you'll be attending school/working.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 15,674 times
The reason I am looking at the area, is because I currently live in the mid west and do not like it. I like coastal cities and towns... I also prefer warmer weather that you get in the south.. So idealy a good place for me is somewhere in the South east. I would not consider indianapolis.. That more of the mid west... land locked... Also the reason for Hampton Roads area is because I have plenty family there, where as here in the midwest.. I have none..0....
You constantly mention crime, and poverty, and income levels. I have family who live in New Port News.. They all have nice houses, they all have quiet neighborhoods, with black neighbors, and the research I have done show that Newport News, Hampton, Virginia Beach, and Chesepeake, have great school programs.. I think that for whatever reason, people like to assume that if a school is in a primary black neighborhood it must be bad, but the schools in that area are always listed in national rinking for great education, and they spend more more per child in those school programs.. more then a lot of other areas including Boston... I can tell you the school systems there In Hampton roads are better then whats offered here in Columbus Ohio.
I dont want to move back to Boston, its too cold, too expensive. and you dont get house with big back yards.. So that is these are the reasons I am looking at the Hampton Roads area...

Old 03-07-2009, 09:06 AM

I agree with you. I have family in NN and they live in nice houses and in nice neighborhoods. All cities have there bad areas. You can't put the whole city down for for one b ad area..

Old 03-07-2009, 09:14 AM

From all that I am hearing about the area. My major concern will be employment and job growth. I have vistied Hamptons roads many times, because I have family there. The cost of living is no difreent then what I deal with here in Columbus Ohio, which is considerably less than Boston. So POO-POO on all those who use cost of living as a deterent for Hampton Roads. If they consider the area expensive, I would tell them not to move to the North East of the country, or even Mid West. Not Atlanta GA, Or even Florida... Not the West Coast either. So not to many other places for them to move too, if they think Hampton Roads is expensive..

Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM

239 posts, read 633,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukidenme View Post
From all that I am hearing about the area. My major concern will be employment and job growth. I have vistied Hamptons roads many times, because I have family there. The cost of living is no difreent then what I deal with here in Columbus Ohio, which is considerably less than Boston. So POO-POO on all those who use cost of living as a deterent for Hampton Roads. If they consider the area expensive, I would tell them not to move to the North East of the country, or even Mid West. Not Atlanta GA, Or even Florida... Not the West Coast either. So not to many other places for them to move too, if they think Hampton Roads is expensive..
It isn't just the cost of living that is a deterent here, it is the cost of living compared to salaries. Sure COL on the West Coat is much higher, but the median income makes up for it. Here the COL is high and the median income is low, making HR one of the most "expensive" places in the country. Also, COL when housing is included has to be lower in the midwest, most parts of FL, and especially Atlanta, GA. The Northeast and West coast I do agree with you there though.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukidenme View Post
The reason I am looking at the area, is because I currently live in the mid west and do not like it. I like coastal cities and towns... I also prefer warmer weather that you get in the south.. So idealy a good place for me is somewhere in the South east. I would not consider indianapolis.. That more of the mid west... land locked... Also the reason for Hampton Roads area is because I have plenty family there, where as here in the midwest.. I have none..0....
You constantly mention crime, and poverty, and income levels. I have family who live in New Port News.. They all have nice houses, they all have quiet neighborhoods, with black neighbors, and the research I have done show that Newport News, Hampton, Virginia Beach, and Chesepeake, have great school programs.. I think that for whatever reason, people like to assume that if a school is in a primary black neighborhood it must be bad, but the schools in that area are always listed in national rinking for great education, and they spend more more per child in those school programs.. more then a lot of other areas including Boston... I can tell you the school systems there In Hampton roads are better then whats offered here in Columbus Ohio.
I dont want to move back to Boston, its too cold, too expensive. and you dont get house with big back yards.. So that is these are the reasons I am looking at the Hampton Roads area...
I dont know who gave you this idea that Newport News or anywhere in HR was the promise land..It can get very cold in VA, you might wanna look more south..Newport News and Hampton public school are NOT good overall..People are underpaid, and yet the cost of living is higher then average..there's things to do, but its so spread out and "exclusive", youll spend more time sitting at home, because you wont feel like taking a 30 minute drive (specially on the peninsula), The 7 city system is tricky because there not as close as people make them out to be.

And what area of NN does your family live in, and what school are you talking about, I can tell you right off the back about it..

Alot of people seemed to be fooled into coming into the area, honestly if you took away the military presence that has to be here, and the low-income folks who dont have the money to move, it wouldnt be much here..and thats sad but true..If you really want to come here, move to Chesapeake..You dont want you child in NN public schools, and YES I am Black..The thing about NN schools are that they have magnet programs that literally keep the school above decent, like IB program at Warwick or Aviation Academy at Denbigh, if your child isnt enrolled somethin like this, you might as well put them in the average inner-city public school, not much difference..im giving you all this from direct experience..

Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
It isn't just the cost of living that is a deterent here, it is the cost of living compared to salaries. Sure COL on the West Coat is much higher, but the median income makes up for it. Here the COL is high and the median income is low, making HR one of the most "expensive" places in the country. Also, COL when housing is included has to be lower in the midwest, most parts of FL, and especially Atlanta, GA. The Northeast and West coast I do agree with you there though.
Exactly, people are always like, "Try living in (insert random more expensive area)"..But in reality there average income is much higher..so its an irrelevant arguement..HR has a higher than avg COL and lower than average median income (specially in Newport News/Hampton).

Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,452 times
ToughLuv,

I read an article some years back about Middle-Upper Class Blacks living in Chesapeake---this
was years ago...

I knew a girl who went to Hampton University and she said once people graduated...the majority
leave Hampton Roads area...this was about 18 years ago.....

Old 03-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
ToughLuv,

I read an article some years back about Middle-Upper Class Blacks living in Chesapeake---this
was years ago...

I knew a girl who went to Hampton University and she said once people graduated...the majority
leave Hampton Roads area...this was about 18 years ago.....
and that girl from HU was 100% correct..College Degree people usually want the more coporate job, big city style life, HR doesnt really offer that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area