Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 23,965 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could recommend individuals who would be interested in helping me with a tile project in my home. I am not looking for a contractor to do the whole thing, but instead am looking for someone to work with me. The contractors want to do all of the work, which is great, but they also want to charge a small fortune even with me supplying all the materials.

I bought all of the tile and everything else and my brother-in-law was going to come up and help me do the work. However, he then got laid off from his job and with a baby on the way he had to shift all his focus to finding a new position. Even though he did find a job after about six weeks he now does not have any time off.

So now I have a big palate of tile sitting in my garage and I was hoping to find some hourly wage help for this project. It is just over 400 square feet in total size, so it is probably three or four days of work. I would prefer to have someone who has put down tile before, because my primary concern is getting it done quickly. That is why I do not want to do it alone in the first place since my wife will kill me if it drags on for too many days without her being able to get in the kitchen and such.

So if you know anyone in the area who perhaps has these skills and could use some extra money I would appreciate the assistance.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:36 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,540 times
Doug, I'd recommend placing an ad in craigslist or on one of the local job sites. I've used craigslist several times for tree cutting, fence work, electricians, plumbers, etc. I usually get about 20 - 30 emails for people that can do the job. Some work by the hour, or for the complete job and some will work for beer. The more experienced and those with their own insurance will usually cost more. It just depends on what your interested in and the price (and what you're willing to risk for those without insurance).

I've been very satisfied so far with both the insured contract workers and those that are happy to trade for their help.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 AM

162 posts, read 657,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMELIFER View Post
some will work for beer.
I need to start finding and hiring these people!!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 23,965 times
Thanks for the advice. I have looked at craigslist a couple of times for things people were selling, but I forget about the other types of things that are listed there. I looked and sure enough I saw a good number of postings to start contacting about tile work.

As for the "work for beer", I am not sure that would be the best combo while laying tile. Those straight lines might end up not being so good after a few beers. :-)

Old 03-01-2009, 04:43 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwinva View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have looked at craigslist a couple of times for things people were selling, but I forget about the other types of things that are listed there. I looked and sure enough I saw a good number of postings to start contacting about tile work.

As for the "work for beer", I am not sure that would be the best combo while laying tile. Those straight lines might end up not being so good after a few beers. :-)
Oh heck, that is what those little tile spacers are for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area