Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM

162 posts, read 657,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
SiestaBay,

How is it in Charlottesville?

The beaches are dirty? Too bad....
What?

You say the beaches are dirty and "too bad." That's exactly the attitude that will never make this a world class destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 03:03 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
1. You show me a 20 something on their own, and Ill show you someone who is spending over 50% of their gross income on housing.

2. Manual labor pays dirt, and there actually is little demand for college degreed people, hence the brain drain of the area. Oh by the way, why dont you go to Monster, Careerbuilder, or the Virginia Pilot, and count up how many jobs have been posted in the last month in the accounting/finance field that pay over 35k, and require less then 5 years of experience. I bet you that you dont even need two hands. Guess how many people graduated with bachelors degrees concentrating in Finance or Accounting in the ODU Spring '04 class? Over 100. I bet, even given all of them stayed here to this day, all 100 of them would not even be able to find an accounting job, forget about one that pays remotely close to a living wage. It took me until 2 years after I graduated to find a job in accounting, and thats only because I accepted such a low salary that they couldnt refuse.

3. Id gladly move, like Ive posted numerous times, Im currently taking donations for the help Randomdude move to a real city fund. If you arent willing to contribute, then you can either listen to me complain about the area, or ignore my complaining, until I can save up enough to leave on my own. Thats completely up to you.

4. Lets see, what beach isnt dirty? Certainly not the whole of the Virginia Beach ocean front. Maybe its cleaner down by Sandbridge? I certainly know you arent talking about any of the public beaches along the Chesapeake Bay or in Hampton or Newport News.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. The world is what you make of it and it looks like you have the wrong attitude. Seems you want everything handed to you. Other wise you wouldn't be asking for donations.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,381 times
SiestaBay,

All beaches are dirty for the most part..here in the Bay Area they are....

More people more dirt---I know Virginia Beach is popular for tourists...

I still would like to visit though....and see for myself....someone was talking about Buckroe Beach?

Old 02-28-2009, 05:57 AM

85 posts, read 319,699 times
Quote:
SiestaBay,

More people more dirt---I know Virginia Beach is popular for tourists...

I still would like to visit though....and see for myself....someone was talking about Buckroe Beach?
Go down to Sandbridge in Virginia Beach if ya wanna beach without a million people and its a very nice clean beach plus MANY Virginia Beach locals dont even hit our beach during the summer cause of the tourists. We go to the beaches less known that are still nice. I may go down to our oceanfront maybe twice during the summer cause of a concert or a festival they got going on other then that we are at Sandbridge.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 AM

162 posts, read 657,921 times
Quote:
SiestaBay,

I highly disagree with that. It all has to do with not only the people at the beach, but just as importantly how much money the city puts in to maintain it.

I've been to very crowded yet impeccably clean beaches. VA Beach just doesn't budget enough for cleanliness.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 PM

SiestaBay,

Yes, it is according to how each city/area maintains----I stand corrected....

Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. The world is what you make of it and it looks like you have the wrong attitude. Seems you want everything handed to you. Other wise you wouldn't be asking for donations.

Speaking of wanting something for nothing, if you dont want to contribute, then I guess youll have to settle for listening to me complain for the next year. Cheers.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Randomdude,

I don't know if you would like living in NC---more jobs in NC probably, but it is
still pretty slow there....

I haven't been to Charlotte in 5 years, but I have been multiple times.....it might be better
then Hampton Roads for you..BUT I don't think you would be really satisfied there either....

Charlotte seems like it is really a place for families...I am glad they got some Public Transportation...

NC is a Beautiful State though....

Have you thought of going to other parts of VA----Alexandria, Charlottesville?

My goal is to move to an affordable area. Yeah, Id get a raise in Alexandria, and my housing cost would triple as well. Also, I drove in Northern VA gridlock once on my way to DC, and I cant imagine driving in that every day, ever.

Im not sure why I would move to Charlottesville. Its a crime infested small city, and has no decent jobs not connected to the university.

I could move to Richmond, which is the only remotely affordable area in VA with decent jobs, however, you also get to deal with a top 20 dangerous city in the US in exchange, and Ill pass on that.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM

Randomdude,

Well, Charlotte is definitely more affordable then Alexandria..DC Area..

Didn't know that Charlottesville was crime infested..

Sounds like NC would be a great fit for you...

Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Randomdude,

Well, Charlotte is definitely more affordable then Alexandria..DC Area..

Didn't know that Charlottesville was crime infested..

Sounds like NC would be a great fit for you...

I think it would be, but my gf/probably wife, is absolutely opposed to moving any further south. She also doesnt want to be extremely far from her mom and dad here in Newport News. So, when I compute all available data, Indianapolis, IN and Cincinnati, OH are the two best targets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area