Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times

Advertisements

So what is your take of accents in Hampton Roads? Personally, I find most people I encouter in VB to be southern 'lite'. Some of the transplants I know have no accent despite being here for years. Others have caught the 'southern lite' bug. Some of the older people I notice have thicker accents as the old Naw-*** brogue. I have found some people in Chesapeake to have a little more southern drawl especially the more south you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 01:54 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,103 times
Most of the people I know here dont really have much of an accent..If they do its very Southern-Lite..Which is weird because Richmond is 1-2 hours more north and alot of them have thick southern accents..

Im talking about the 20-40 crowd though, the older people usually have more of a Southern accent. And also Im talking more Peninsula, Southern accent seems to be alot more popular on the Southside..

Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 PM

195 posts, read 668,730 times
A friend of mine who grew up in Chesapeake has a surfer accent. I very rarely encounter anyone with a true southern accent. Coming from NC, the people here sound like the people in Washington state in comparison.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:39 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
A friend of mine who grew up in Chesapeake has a surfer accent. I very rarely encounter anyone with a true southern accent. Coming from NC, the people here sound like the people in Washington state in comparison.
I travel to Washington State and I think they have more of the midwestern/canadian accent dontchaknow! This area has mixed accents and lifestyles because we are a military community. I agree that NC has more of the southern lingo, but not as sharp as Georgia or South Carolina. Being on the edge of the bible belt, we are more versatile in our languages than the south.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 PM

50 posts, read 149,910 times
lol I find this really amusing- I think everyone here has a THICK accent or none at all. I'm from the W coast though- I say dude a lot and yeah, I sound Canadian, eh? I say eh a ton too- it's true- a lot of people think NWerners are Canucks

Old 03-26-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfragger1 View Post
lol I find this really amusing- I think everyone here has a THICK accent or none at all. I'm from the W coast though- I say dude a lot and yeah, I sound Canadian, eh? I say eh a ton too- it's true- a lot of people think NWerners are Canucks
many are, as they migrated from Canada during certain eras of work. My grandfather was canadian and migrated to Wisconsin for logging. CA is known for their valley and surfer lingo, but IMO they do not have an accent. People here are from everywhere and I find most of the accents from the northern parts of the east coast.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 PM

159 posts, read 531,869 times
I'm not really sure if i have an accent, but i have been told i talk a little slower, and more lazy. All my friends talk like i do so maybe do have one. haha

Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
I'm not really sure if i have an accent, but i have been told i talk a little slower, and more lazy. All my friends talk like i do so maybe do have one. haha
Talking slower is not lazy. People take their time and I appreciate that aspect of this area. You go anywhere else and they talk so fast, it's like they have a mouth full and half of them don't pronounce the words correctly.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 PM

159 posts, read 531,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Talking slower is not lazy. People take their time and I appreciate that aspect of this area. You go anywhere else and they talk so fast, it's like they have a mouth full and half of them don't pronounce the words correctly.
That's awesome you appreciate it! I try to make sure that the person im talking to understands what im saying so they dont have to ask any stupid questions . It's almost like i over detail everything when i talk.

example:

Me: Can you go outside to the trunk of my car and get the white bags of groceries and bring it inside to me so i can put them away.

Other people: Go out to my trunk and bring the groceries in

Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 PM

83 posts, read 225,183 times
I have a thick southern accent and I was born and raised in HR. I am currently in California and people ask me if I'm from Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia or South Carolina. People in other parts of the U.S. automatically clump accents/people into the whole Northern VA group. They don't realize that when you come from SE or SW VA that you pick up accents from surrounding areas that are more thick with accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area