U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 AM

8 posts, read 30,254 times
Default vegetable gardening

we are new to vegetable gardening, and would like information on which vegetables do best in our area,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:21 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,532,075 times
I built an above ground garden because our soil around here has alot of clay. I do best with beef steak tomatoes, peppers, onions and herbs. My chives were awesome last year and mixed with sour cream on a baked potato is a wonderful side dish. I did cucumbers one year because we like them in our salads, but they seemed to have overtaken the rest of the garden.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 AM

820 posts, read 3,315,552 times
We've had good luck growing green beans up a trellis. Also tomatoes, acorn squash, watermelon, jalopenos, cucumbers, banana peppers, strawberries, and radishes.
We didn't have any luck with blueberries or raspberries.
As Erma said, the area has a lot of clay so we've had to till our garden and put down gardening soil in order to plant all of the above.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:41 AM

5,517 posts, read 5,384,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiestitch View Post
we are new to vegetable gardening, and would like information on which vegetables do best in our area,

The three things Ive seen grow great in the area are peppers (especially spicy types), tomatoes and strawberries.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:34 AM

thanks for all the information.
I planted some loose lettuce seeds last week but think I may have been to late in doing that. but will see if anything comes up.

when should I plant tomato plants is it too soon??

Old 04-10-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
thanks for all the information.
I planted some loose lettuce seeds last week but think I may have been to late in doing that. but will see if anything comes up.

when should I plant tomato plants is it too soon??
Yes, it's too soon. Wait a bit when our weather is more stable. I usually get my plants at McDonald Nursery or London Bridge Nursery. Have great luck with them. We planted our sunflower seeds a couple days ago.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:21 PM

my lettuce seeds are coming up, cant believe I am a bit excited about some little seeds.

I also have put in the raised beds, should I put mulch down ? we used a mushroom blend of soil and compost.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
my lettuce seeds are coming up, cant believe I am a bit excited about some little seeds.

I also have put in the raised beds, should I put mulch down ? we used a mushroom blend of soil and compost.
You can, but I don't. I only use it in my flower beds. I will be getting my tomato plants in the next couple weeks. I'm also doing chives this year. They were so good last year.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 AM

do you buy the little six paks or do you buy the larger containers of plants, wondering if the large ones grow better, what's your favorite tomato.
I was thinking of trying early girl and or brandy wine, I also want to plant a roma and grape tomatoes.
I have a whole list of herbs and other plants I would like to try summer spinach squash zucchini leek swiss chard, beans, wondering if I am being too ambitious for a first garden.
kathy

Old 04-13-2009, 09:36 AM

are banana peppers sweet, I have never heard of them or are they just shaped like a banana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area