U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:02 AM

868 posts, read 2,052,737 times
As someone who is looking into to a possible move to HR's, it's interesting to read peoples takes on what they see for the future of HR's. It's seems that most people who live in the area are really "down" on it. I have had to opportunity to live in four major metropolitan areas in the past nine years and I have found that each location has it's struggles along with things that draw people there.

There are traffic issues everywhere. Our best commute so far is when we lived in Southern California and the worst was Portland, OR where 7 miles took 35 minutes. As far a schools, our kids currently go to a school in an upscale area, however the school district is so short on funds that there is no playground equipment. It's sad to see kids just standing around at recess. There are also zoning issues because there really are no zoning laws to keep someone from opening a autobody shop or restaurant in the middle of a residential area so even the nicest areas with million $$ homes are surrounded by eyesores. (TX) There have been gang issues in every state we have lived in.

I think HR's is the only area I've seen where you can live in a home with water views for well under a million dollars. Your area is rich with history with lots to do nearby (day trip get-aways), mild weather and great beaches.

I think it's tough out there all over. If you are bored, go the forums on here for other areas around the country, especially Nevada, Michigan & Florida. There are a lot of people out there who have given up. It's sad. It makes me wonder if HR's is really as bad as people say it is (or is going to be) or, if like the rest of the country, this is just a product of the currently economic crisis everyone is feeling. ? Thoughts?

~K~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 08:16 AM

5,517 posts, read 5,305,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post

I think it's tough out there all over. If you are bored, go the forums on here for other areas around the country, especially Nevada, Michigan & Florida. There are a lot of people out there who have given up. It's sad. It makes me wonder if HR's is really as bad as people say it is (or is going to be) or, if like the rest of the country, this is just a product of the currently economic crisis everyone is feeling. ? Thoughts?

~K~
No, Hampton Roads blows independently of the economic crisis.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Dont be so stereotypical. I boomeranged back here after living in several other cities, and I am so-called "financially successful". Out of my group of friends from HR, about 1/3 left for good, 1/3 left and came back, and 1/3 stayed here. A couple of friends hold great jobs, but still live at home, mostly to save money and buy something eventually. Again, dont stereotype everyone according to your circle of friends or aquaintances.

If you noticed, I said EVERYONE I KNOW in my graduating class. I wasnt "stereotyping" anything.

Actually, from my observations, your numbers amongst your friends are somewhat close any how. The only difference is that, I dont know nearly as many that left and came back, pretty much everyone I know who left, never came back.

By the way, needing to live with your parents until you are 30 to "buy something" means you are probably in a heavily overpriced dump. You should be able to work 3-4 years of saving 80-90% of your income, and be able to afford a decent house. The average college grad around here would have to work 8-10. If you do not see a huge problem with that, you are outright blind.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:08 AM

358 posts, read 920,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
If you noticed, I said EVERYONE I KNOW in my graduating class. I wasnt "stereotyping" anything.

Actually, from my observations, your numbers amongst your friends are somewhat close any how. The only difference is that, I dont know nearly as many that left and came back, pretty much everyone I know who left, never came back.

By the way, needing to live with your parents until you are 30 to "buy something" means you are probably in a heavily overpriced dump. You should be able to work 3-4 years of saving 80-90% of your income, and be able to afford a decent house. The average college grad around here would have to work 8-10. If you do not see a huge problem with that, you are outright blind.

In general, this generation of people from 21- 30 has "boomeranged" back home. USA today did a feature article not too long ago on it, so living at home to save money probably charaterizes alot of metros. My friends that are in NOVA are frustrated with living in a rat race up there and would move back, if they had more job opportunities, so I agree with you on that point.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:49 AM

3,032 posts, read 3,272,648 times
Randomdude do you like anything about the area?? I mean I've never read anything positive from you. There must be something.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Randomdude do you like anything about the area?? I mean I've never read anything positive from you. There must be something.
The weather, the relatively low crime for a metro area this size, the proximity to historical locations, the generally laid back aura.

Dont get me wrong, there are some positives of the area, but to me, none of that is remotely enough to counter balance the negatives.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:19 PM

269 posts, read 645,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
As someone who is looking into to a possible move to HR's, it's interesting to read peoples takes on what they see for the future of HR's. It's seems that most people who live in the area are really "down" on it. I have had to opportunity to live in four major metropolitan areas in the past nine years and I have found that each location has it's struggles along with things that draw people there.

There are traffic issues everywhere. Our best commute so far is when we lived in Southern California and the worst was Portland, OR where 7 miles took 35 minutes. As far a schools, our kids currently go to a school in an upscale area, however the school district is so short on funds that there is no playground equipment. It's sad to see kids just standing around at recess. There are also zoning issues because there really are no zoning laws to keep someone from opening a autobody shop or restaurant in the middle of a residential area so even the nicest areas with million $$ homes are surrounded by eyesores. (TX) There have been gang issues in every state we have lived in.

I think HR's is the only area I've seen where you can live in a home with water views for well under a million dollars. Your area is rich with history with lots to do nearby (day trip get-aways), mild weather and great beaches.

~K~
I grew up in Virginia Beach (a Navy brat), and I find it interesting to sometimes read through the forums and see what's going on in that area. Having lived in Arkansas, Texas, Illinois, and now in Virginia again but the D.C. Suburbs (Fairfax County), I've never found a place I loved so much as my childhood home of Virginia Beach. Most of America is very segregated, and you have to pick between diversity vs. great schools, but I remember as a black child in Virginia Beach (I attended Great Neck and Cox High) how nice it was to have all types of friends from all different races. We used to spend our whole summers at the pool and life was laidback and happy, unlike "stiff" workaholic Northern Virginia. The schools in Virginia Beach are outstanding, I received an education that has carried me through my whole life (I'm 32 y/o), and sometimes I wish I could move back and raise my own children there.

From what I understand, people's biggest beef is the lack of high-paying jobs despite the high cost-of-living? Yeah, I think that's perhaps the only flaw of Hampton Roads.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
From what I understand, people's biggest beef is the lack of high-paying jobs despite the high cost-of-living? Yeah, I think that's perhaps the only flaw of Hampton Roads.
Aside from the lack of public transportation, and lack of interest in its pursuit, yeah, thats probably the biggest one. However, that is a huge gorilla indeed that is chasing many away.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 PM

3,032 posts, read 3,272,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The weather, the relatively low crime for a metro area this size, the proximity to historical locations, the generally laid back aura.

Dont get me wrong, there are some positives of the area, but to me, none of that is remotely enough to counter balance the negatives.

Well I'm glad to hear you say that.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 PM

520 posts, read 984,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
In general, this generation of people from 21- 30 has "boomeranged" back home. USA today did a feature article not too long ago on it, so living at home to save money probably charaterizes alot of metros. My friends that are in NOVA are frustrated with living in a rat race up there and would move back, if they had more job opportunities, so I agree with you on that point.
This causes the demand for housing, both to buy and to rent, to decline. Combine that with the huge amounts of construction, and you get a glut. Conventionally this would drive prices down. This ads to why I think we will see 40%+ declines in home values.

As far as water views.... 2 seconds on craigslist:
Tampe, $350K, 3500 sqft, inground pool, on the water:
$349,000 / Odessa: Gorgeous 5 Bedroom Lakefront Pool Home (http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/reb/1126756392.html - broken link)

Miami had stuff for under a mil, so do other areas. I've got water views where I live now, and it's not all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area