Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:56 AM

260 posts, read 1,190,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
I'm also really outgoing. It's a mix here. Doesn't seem like a lot of independent thinkers. Maybe everyone relies on their church to tell everything.

There arent many independent thinkers around here! I'm glad someone else noticed that! Mainly the bible humper types who live their life dictated by a god that they dont know for sure even exists! Not only that but they take the bible so literally. I don't think people knew how to even wipe their *** back when the bible was written. Gotta love em.

Believe in whatever you want to, but think freely at the same time. C'mon do we even stone women anymore ?

just my, well $0.10!

thanks for letting me rant [/quote]

Why not just stick to the subject...? Would you leave HR and where would you go?

I really find it so sad when people think nothing of insulting someone's belief in God. I'm not a Bible thumper but for sure have strong beliefs and perhaps thats why we see so much violence in the world.

PS. I would leave HR and head to a nice, quiet town in NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:28 AM

469 posts, read 1,869,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by symptomatic View Post
I just wanted to know where people would like to live since I see so many people complaining about hampton roads.
Los Angeles, CA

Old 04-24-2009, 02:32 PM

520 posts, read 1,625,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Los Angeles, CA
Really? I've heard traffic is a mess, and they are very bubbly. Those houses you see in movies like Boys N Da Hood (window bars, etc) were going for $300-$400K.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 PM

469 posts, read 1,869,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
Really? I've heard traffic is a mess, and they are very bubbly. Those houses you see in movies like Boys N Da Hood (window bars, etc) were going for $300-$400K.
I've been there and traffic isn't as bad as they say it is. And to me it's A LOT better than the traffic around here.

Everyone I interacted with over there was nice and friendly, and I do understand the cost of living is high, but the cost of living is high here. It may not be as high as LA, but it's still high.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:44 PM

162 posts, read 638,232 times
Anyone else get their property tax bill? I'm ready for a move. They FINALLY dropped the value of our home a whopping $2,000. Yet the tax bill is more than it was last year. Time to find another city/town!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 PM

239 posts, read 633,017 times
Consider yourself lucky that they DROPPED your value. They increased mine by like $12K. Totally unbelievable!!! I hear ya, I would move in a second if my wife would let us .

Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 PM

162 posts, read 638,232 times
I'm so sorry about that increase. That is unbelievable with things the way they are. Sometimes I really do miss FL. I miss the $25,000 homestead exemption! I think the tax people in the city about fell out of their chairs laughing when I asked if there's such a thing here.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:30 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,015,934 times
Everyone better enjoy their tax bills this year because with real estate prices dropping the local cities will raise the real estate taxes again......rumor is that Va Bch wanted to raise it in this coming budget but decided at the last minute to wait till next year...so we better enjoy the rate we have this year because my best guess is all of the local cities will tack on another .10 to .15 over the next 2 years

Last edited by rtandc; 04-25-2009 at 07:49 AM..

Old 04-27-2009, 01:09 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
Consider yourself lucky that they DROPPED your value. They increased mine by like $12K. Totally unbelievable!!! I hear ya, I would move in a second if my wife would let us .
Isn't there a way you can petiton that increase? My grandfather owns a house in a rough area of Norfolk and they increased its value, so he contacted the city. He asked them, "Have you even looked at the house?? There's no way it's worth that much." Anyway, the city had someone reappraise it. I'm not sure how long ago this was, though.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:24 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,032 times
Dupont Circle -- NorthWest Washington, D.C.

It's like an immediate dream of mine, as soon I get my situation here right, I will be there! Im offly jealous of the people in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area