U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2009, 04:37 PM

22 posts, read 39,814 times
Question Area info needed asap

Hello all in the HR area (or really familiar w/ the area)

So...I've posted on here a few times about the HR area and where to move (PREFERENCE: RENTAL APARTMENTS and TOWNHOMES/CONDOS, since we don't want to buy initially in a new area). I have searched and searched online until I'm blue in the face. Unfortunately, my hubby and I have not and will not have a chance to visit before our move at the end of the month, and we do not want to send deposit money/secure an apt until we can see it (not too much to ask for, right?). However, we do plan to start searching the areas as soon as we get there. We have heard that the Oyster Point area of NN is a good area. We have also heard that traffic can be horrible leaving Langley. We are going to make a choice between Hampton, NN and Yorktown. This is what I need to know:

1. What are good (better) areas in NN and HAMPTON where traffic isn't a major issue during morning and after work times to and f/ Langley AFB?? I really don't want to spend 45 mins to an hour going or coming home from work, but also don't want to live in a crappy, dirty, unsafe area. If traffic is unavoidable, PLEASE TELL ME. If that's the case, can someone please just suggest some areas, complexes, street names...SOMETHING, because the apt guide I received is HUGE!!!I need to have a way to filter and just totally disregard some places. What are the "better" areas of NN and HAMPTON without spending more than $1150 per month in rent (that's stretching it, but we would like a 3bed/2bath, willing to go for a nice size 2b/2ba in a nice area). We would LOVE a townhome, but will not give on 2 FULL Bathrooms.

I know this is a lot to ask, so if noone can lend advice, that's understandable, but any detailed advice would help greatly! Thanks a mil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM

43 posts, read 62,145 times
I personally wouldnt live in the NN or Hampton areas.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 PM

3,508 posts, read 8,206,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNovitsky9 View Post
I personally wouldnt live in the NN or Hampton areas.
No, I'd chose Williamsburg, Yorktown or Ft. Eutis areas. My nephew's son was stationed at Langley and lived in Yorktown. He and his wife enjoyed the areas.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Status: "Ft. Knox/Louisville for the weekend." (set 1 day ago)

14,469 posts, read 16,148,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsweetie1 View Post
Hello all in the HR area (or really familiar w/ the area)

So...I've posted on here a few times about the HR area and where to move (PREFERENCE: RENTAL APARTMENTS and TOWNHOMES/CONDOS, since we don't want to buy initially in a new area). I have searched and searched online until I'm blue in the face. Unfortunately, my hubby and I have not and will not have a chance to visit before our move at the end of the month, and we do not want to send deposit money/secure an apt until we can see it (not too much to ask for, right?). However, we do plan to start searching the areas as soon as we get there. We have heard that the Oyster Point area of NN is a good area. We have also heard that traffic can be horrible leaving Langley. We are going to make a choice between Hampton, NN and Yorktown. This is what I need to know:

1. What are good (better) areas in NN and HAMPTON where traffic isn't a major issue during morning and after work times to and f/ Langley AFB?? I really don't want to spend 45 mins to an hour going or coming home from work, but also don't want to live in a crappy, dirty, unsafe area. If traffic is unavoidable, PLEASE TELL ME. If that's the case, can someone please just suggest some areas, complexes, street names...SOMETHING, because the apt guide I received is HUGE!!!I need to have a way to filter and just totally disregard some places. What are the "better" areas of NN and HAMPTON without spending more than $1150 per month in rent (that's stretching it, but we would like a 3bed/2bath, willing to go for a nice size 2b/2ba in a nice area). We would LOVE a townhome, but will not give on 2 FULL Bathrooms.

I know this is a lot to ask, so if noone can lend advice, that's understandable, but any detailed advice would help greatly! Thanks a mil!
You may want to check into Falcon Creek Apts in Hampton, they are realtively new and are in a safe area.

Also look into either along Margruder Blvd in Hampton or Hampton Hwy in South York County. Both of those areas offer a SUPER easy commute into Langley.

A rule of thumb on Hampton and NN, stay north of Mercury Blvd.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:39 PM

30 posts, read 60,351 times
Oyster Point (newport news) area is very nice!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:46 PM

358 posts, read 895,286 times
do you have kids? If schools are not an issue, then you can find some deals on rentals. Look at dailypress.com in the classifieds and search under condos or townhome rentals. There are several new townhome developments in NN that are very nice (Deer Park Commons, Parkside Meridian). Both offer an easy commute to the base. Try searching in these zip codes (23606- NN) (23666- Hampton) (23693- YC)

Old 05-07-2009, 03:04 PM

Thank you all for the info. Damian, I appreiciate the specific zip code info!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Gosh...what is so bad about Hampton and NN (besides this high crime rate I hear about)? Also, what can anyone tell me about the traffic to/from Langley from NN. What area is mostly congested before/after work...what intersection or exit off of 64? This info is important to us during our apartment search.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,318,684 times
You know, every city in HR has good and bad areas, but you do need to do your research beforehand. The Oyster Point/Jeffererson Avenue/Warwick Blvd area is perfectly fine. The downside, is the traffic in that area can be bad during rush hour. But that is where the restaurants, mall, shopping - all that good stuff is located! There are many apt complexes in the area that are new within 10 years or so and houses off the main drag that are fine.

I wish I knew the exit number - I go see my dad 2 or 3 times a week but never really looked at the number. My dad is 78 and lives on his own in a 55+ apt and he is perfectly safe.

I will say this, I travel in the direction from Langley to NN on the hwy during rush hour, and it is not bad. Traffic moves at 55, unless there is an accident, and that can happen anywhere, anytime.

Last edited by stacylee926; 05-08-2009 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 PM

358 posts, read 895,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsweetie1 View Post
Gosh...what is so bad about Hampton and NN (besides this high crime rate I hear about)? Also, what can anyone tell me about the traffic to/from Langley from NN. What area is mostly congested before/after work...what intersection or exit off of 64? This info is important to us during our apartment search.

most of the crime in NN is in the southeastern section of the city called the East End. In hampton, it is basically in the area south of Mercury Boulevard. Most of the areas in the two cities are fine. If you are to go interstate to Langley, you would get off at Hampton Roads Center Pkway, exit 261. Traffic is not too bad around that area, since the interstate is 8 lanes wide. The back rounds may take longer, but that is because of traffic lights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area