Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:46 PM

37,587 posts, read 45,944,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Really? Because you AREN'T allowed to smoke in there! That's why the table and ashtrays are outside. We stop in to eat every now and then and I've never seen anyone smoking in there.
Yep. It almost knocked me over. I was surprised too. It was about 3:30 in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 PM

88 posts, read 310,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
On December 1st, all Virginia restaurants and bars will be required to go smoke-free, unless they have a seperate, closed off smoking section with its own ventillation system.
Yea, hopefully this will actually go through this time. I have asthma, so I avoid any places where smoking is allowed. The worse is The Funnybone- where you will go to a non-smoking show night, and when people come out, they start to smoke in the bar you have to go through to get back out from there. THAT sucks... so I hope it applies to them as well!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 PM

37,587 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by towncentergal View Post
Yea, hopefully this will actually go through this time. I have asthma, so I avoid any places where smoking is allowed. The worse is The Funnybone- where you will go to a non-smoking show night, and when people come out, they start to smoke in the bar you have to go through to get back out from there. THAT sucks... so I hope it applies to them as well!
I am sure it will. I've been in there and the smoke was so bad even the performer commented on it - it was horrible!

I have been looking forward to this change ever since it was first announced. It will be an awesome birthday present!!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 AM

11 posts, read 35,261 times
Default Favorite restaurants in Virginia Beach.

My favorite place in Virginia Beach is "El Desorden." it might be because it is Colombian food, and I am Colombian. Steinhilbers is excellent. But my favorite in Hampton Roads has to be "Cafe Europa" in downtown Portsmouth. Pricy and elegant, and worth the trip and expense.

I have never been to McCormick & Schmicks (http://shop.mccormickandschmicks.com/ - broken link)but several of my friends love it. I understand they have great prices at happy hour. Last I heard $5.00 for a Hamburger. If you are looking to do some networking or meet new people the first Tuesday of the month at 5 PM they have one of the largest business people gathering in the area.

Last edited by Tidewater Entrepreneur; 05-28-2009 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: to add a link.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:43 PM

359 posts, read 758,702 times
Sometimes you gotta piggyback on the good old threads.

Shelton's Grill on Aragona for burgers
Salvatore's off of Baxter for pizza (c'mon Bruno's, STILL no beer?), Shorebreak would be 2nd
Frankie's off of Kempsville for BBQ
Jimmy John's (town center) for subs (looking for contenders)
Kyushu off of Newtown for sushi or seafood
Saffron off of Columbus (town center area) for Indian buffet - superb
Higher Heights off of Kemps River for Jamaican
El Rincon off of Holland for Puerto Rican
Classic Diner in Providence Square for breakfast
Fire & Vine off of Laskin, if I'm out that way and want to buck up a little more
Longhorn off of Princess Anne if I need a salmon salad; nobody else seems to make them around here.
El Taco Loco (near Bonefish Grill on VB Blvd.) for Mexican
Cocktails - Pacifica at the Oceanfront
Deli - Gourmet Gang (multiple locations) - they are very good.
German - Gasthaus Zum Goetzebho off of Laskin
'A' tier chain - Outback

I don't care for the Pilot's "Best of" - in my opinion, if you're a paid advertiser, you're nearly guaranteed to walk away with some kind of acclaim and a banner for your storefront. I prefer more casual places and more small-scale places.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM

14 posts, read 41,687 times
Don't forget about Zia Marie on Lookout Road for Italian food. Yum!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Diesel's fried chicken was 'textbook perfect' | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Anyone been to Diesel's for chicken? It's on my hit list! Mac & cheese :P required

Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 PM

13 posts, read 44,515 times
Coastal Grill is my favorite restaurant.

For authentic NY Pizza (I am from the NY metro are originally), I'd definitely go with Mini Italia.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 PM

275 posts, read 870,100 times
Local: Captain George's...I want to say I had Waterman's years ago and enjoyed it. From what I remember, Citrus off Shore Drive has a pretty good brunch.

Chain: Yard House (great crab cakes) or PF Changs. Atlanta Bread Company is pretty good too.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Default Hilltop recommendations?

Could I please have your Hilltop recommendations? It seems like there's so much great stuff tucked away up there, but you have to get off the main drag and hunt a bit. (Those feeder roads drive me NUTS - they didn't cover those in drivers' ed.)

Fire & Vine was pretty good, haven't been to Cobalt, the Melting Pot was just "o.k." if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area