Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 04:46 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,855,823 times

Advertisements

hi my mom wants to leave Miami,fl due to economic reasons, which means i might finish my senior year in va, how are the schools there? areas? crime? housing prices? thanks.

Last edited by somebodymiami; 05-21-2009 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,403,734 times
Not much different than Florida. Where do you think you will end up?

Old 05-21-2009, 05:35 PM

my mom wants to move to Virginia beach, read( is that how you spell it?) up on it online, sounds alot better than my area, little Havana miami, poverty level is lower, lower crime. and my familiy is white( german) if it matters.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 PM

239 posts, read 630,972 times
I have lived in Miami (little Havana) and no offense but Miami has to be the biggest &*#$hole in the US. I pretty much hate living in HR, but it seems like paradise living here compared to Miami, especially Havana. You will be a lot happier in this area, people speak English and don't jack anything that you leave unattended for 2 minutes. If you are moving for economic reasons, I am not so sure Virginia Beach is your best choice unless your Mom already has a job lined up. But pretty much anywhere you choose in the US would be better than Miami.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:48 AM

ha, idc, no offense taken, Miami is a ****hole, and i grew up here all my life, family moved here in the 80's, English is one of the main reasons my mom wants to leave,lol its not that bad, but it pisses her off when you cant talk with your co workers becuase they speak spanish only.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:32 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,314,418 times
I moved here from Northern Virginia 6 years ago where English is the 2nd language - lol. You will have NO problem with that here. 7-11's are actually run by Americans!! I didn't mind the cultural diversity in NoVa, until 9-11 when we changed to being cautious all day, every day.

We are looking to moving to FLL in the near future, so I am a little familiar too with the area. Florida was hit very hard by this economy and overall Hampton Roads has done alot better than FL. This area tends to be more middle class, with more blue collar workers than corporate workers. It is a decent, hard working area. Overall, better than Miami for sure.

Your mom will like the hot humid summers and milder winters too. I would say it is probably your best choice on the east coast if you want to stick to beachy areas. We are one of the very few (maybe only) east coast tourist areas that actually has a normal working community that does not rely on tourists to support itself.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:44 PM

162 posts, read 654,627 times
Why not move to Tampa, Sarasota, or Jacksonville?

Moving all the way to VA Beach is a little extreme considering it's really not too great around here.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
Why not move to Tampa, Sarasota, or Jacksonville?

Moving all the way to VA Beach is a little extreme considering it's really not too great around here.

how is it not to great?

Old 05-23-2009, 04:05 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,516,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
how is it not to great?
Not so great: The job market (mainly wages) is kinda unimpressive. The standard of living is high in comparison to the wages.

Better than Florida: Even though the locals have mixed opinions on some of the schools they are a major improvement over Florida. Crime is lower than Miami (in some areas not that much though.)

On the English as a Second Language, i can feel your pain. In fact, I'm moving to Louisville, KY to try to alleivate the pain. Like StacyLee i live in Northern VA right now (english is a THIRD language at my job .) Trust me, from someone who was raised in hampton Roads, you will have NO problem with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area