Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:18 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times

Advertisements

hmeth - call your landlord and let him know "maintenance entered my unit without my knowledge, consent, or authorization" maybe he doesn't know they're not giving you notice or owns many other units so he doesn't have much of an idea of what goes on with maintenance requests.

if that doesn't work.

change your locks. it is within your right to do so if they keep violating giving you a 24 hours notice to enter the unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Not true random. If a work request put in then you're giving them permission to enter. Also if you're in a complex make sure you ask before changing locks. Chances are you're not allowed, and even if you are you will have to supply the landlord a key. I say check your lease most of the time there is a 24 hours notice to enter, for non requested work, but if it's not in your lease then you're out of luck. I'm not sure why you feel violated, but from now on put your maintenance requests in writing, date them, and have the office sign that they received a copy. That way you have documentation if needed.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
Actually, unless it is specifically forbidden in your lease, you do have the right to change the locks if they keep coming into your place (I had a creepy landlord who entered to try to catch me in the shower and was given this advice by a federal cop for what I should do until I could move out). You have to provide them with the key or state that you will provide them with access to the place for necessary repairs. Also, if you call in a work order and it bothers you when they're coming in, then you do have the right to request 24 hours notice of entry even when you call for the work order so that you can arrange to be there or have an agent for you there if it makes you uncomfortable having someone in your home while you're not present. If you do this, send the letter certified mail.

I also used to work in leasing contracts for a large property management company. : )

Old 08-16-2013, 12:40 PM

172 posts, read 289,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMSPerryVABeach View Post
he did not pull the gun on us (thank goodness); but him just wearing it and arguing with us was just too creepy to not call for police backup.
He has every right to open-carry the weapon in VA. If you feel at a disadvantage then you have the same right and should carry your own weapon. You calling the police was not appropriate - as it is a private matter of contract and not a criminal matter. This mentality of using the cops to referee and negotiate every little issue that people can have is the bigger problem with your story. The results could have been anyone involved going to jail, including yourself (or worse).

You think it is "too creepy" because someone is arguing, yet you go and bring in a third party backed by the threat of force to handle a situation that you caused by not paying your bills on time or following the agreements that you had made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area