U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 44,626 times
Default Neighborhoods to Avoid?

I know that Ghent and Larchmont are nice areas of Norfolk. But is there an area to absolutely avoid? I find houses for sale in Norfolk, for very low prices (under 99k). And I realize they'd need some work. They are old but beautiful. Is there something to know about neighborhoods though? If Norfolk has "pockets of serious crime" as I've read on another website, what area would that pocket be in? Same question for Portsmouth, Newport News, Chesapeake, VA Beach. Also, I realize everyone can have a different idea of what "safe" means, or what constitutes a lot of crime. I'll say that I currently live near downtown Phoenix, so that's my gauge.

Thank you in advance. I'm really just looking for street boundaries or a little list of what to avoid as I figure that's a shorter list than what's a good neighborhood in Hampton Roads.

Marye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 07:39 PM

14,466 posts, read 16,131,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrMo View Post
I know that Ghent and Larchmont are nice areas of Norfolk. But is there an area to absolutely avoid? I find houses for sale in Norfolk, for very low prices (under 99k). And I realize they'd need some work. They are old but beautiful. Is there something to know about neighborhoods though? If Norfolk has "pockets of serious crime" as I've read on another website, what area would that pocket be in? Same question for Portsmouth, Newport News, Chesapeake, VA Beach. Also, I realize everyone can have a different idea of what "safe" means, or what constitutes a lot of crime. I'll say that I currently live near downtown Phoenix, so that's my gauge.

Thank you in advance. I'm really just looking for street boundaries or a little list of what to avoid as I figure that's a shorter list than what's a good neighborhood in Hampton Roads.

Marye
Areas to avoid:
Norfolk- Park Place, Huntersville, Ocean View (possibly)
Chesapeake- South Norfolk
Portsmouth- Prentiss Park
VA Beach- Green Run, Newtown Rd
Newport News- East End, Anywhere near the shipyard or I-664

Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 PM

1,579 posts, read 3,060,915 times
Larchmont and Ghent are two of Norfolk's best neighborhoods, undoubtedly. However, Norfolk as a whole isn't the safest city. The places I like to avoid are:

-Park Place
-E. Little Creek Rd from Tidewater Dr (Southern Shopping Center) to Granby St (Wards Corner)
-Norview/Sewell's Point/Five Points
-Ocean View at night
-The projects between Downtown and Norfolk State: Young Terrace, Brambleton, Tidewater Gardens, etc

The rest of the neighborhoods aren't necessarily bad, but keep in mind no neighborhood in Norfolk is devoid of crime. I work in an area of Norfolk that's not generally accepted as the worst of the worst, but crime has taken a noticeable increase there (on Google Maps it says my area is called Tanner's Creek/Oakmont/Bromley). If you decide on Norfolk, just keep your wits about you. Use your head. I don't know much about Phoenix, but it looks like Norfolk has a bit more violent crime.

Chesapeake, as far as I know, is mostly desirable as far as crime. South Norfolk is definitely a place to avoid though. It's one of the worst areas of Hampton Roads, in my opinion. Same goes for the East End of Newport News.

People in HR give Portsmouth a hard time (call it the armpit of HR, etc), and although I'm sure Portsmouth isn't all bad, I generally don't enjoy hanging out there.

Virginia Beach doesn't have many problem areas compared to the likes of Park Place, South Norfolk, East End, and so on. The worst areas of Va Beach are the Lake Edward area (neighborhoods surrounding Virginia Wesleyan University/Newtown Rd) and the Green Run area (generally speaking, the area boxed in by S. Plaza Trl on the West, Lynnhaven Prky on the East, Holland Rd to the North, and Princess Anne Rd to the South). Also, the Oceanfront at night has turned into a more dangerous place recently.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:04 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,200,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Virginia Beach doesn't have many problem areas compared to the likes of Park Place, South Norfolk, East End, and so on. The worst areas of Va Beach are the Lake Edward area (neighborhoods surrounding Virginia Wesleyan University/Newtown Rd) and the Green Run area (generally speaking, the area boxed in by S. Plaza Trl on the West, Lynnhaven Prky on the East, Holland Rd to the North, and Princess Anne Rd to the South). Also, the Oceanfront at night has turned into a more dangerous place recently.
Lake Edwards...oh god, that's only because of the section 8 housing. Anywhere there is section 8 is not good. They closed up the projects and renamed them section 8!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:41 AM

5,517 posts, read 5,075,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post

Virginia Beach doesn't have many problem areas compared to the likes of Park Place, South Norfolk, East End, and so on. The worst areas of Va Beach are the Lake Edward area (neighborhoods surrounding Virginia Wesleyan University/Newtown Rd)

Ironically, the Norfolk neighborhoods around this area are actually ok for the most part (Hollywood/Maple Hall and Fairlawn).

Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrMo View Post
I know that Ghent and Larchmont are nice areas of Norfolk. But is there an area to absolutely avoid? I find houses for sale in Norfolk, for very low prices (under 99k). And I realize they'd need some work. They are old but beautiful. Is there something to know about neighborhoods though? If Norfolk has "pockets of serious crime" as I've read on another website, what area would that pocket be in?
Marye

I can speak for Norfolk and Va Beach.

Norfolk- Ghent, Larchmont, Hollywood/Fairlawn, a couple of the neighborhoods along E. Little Creek such as Tarrallton, the richer parts of Willoughby and West Ocean View. Many of the neighborhoods between Ballentine Blvd to Willowood and up to Ocean View are tolerable, some better then others though.

You absolutely want to avoid the following

Every neighborhood inside of the triangle formed by 264 and Ballentine Blvd to Willowood Drive. This includes Park Place (where youll find a majority of housing under 100k in Norfolk), Ballentine Place, Huntersville, LAfeyette, and all of the downtown area including the projects all around it.

East Ocean View and the surrounding areas.

Virginia Beach-

You want to avoid the whole of Lynnhaven Parkway from Princess Anne to Virginia Beach Blvd. This encompasses Twin Canal, Green Run, Magic Hollow and Cardinal Estates.

You want to avoid Lake Edward off Newtown, and youd probably be best served to avoid the whole Bayside area extending from Newtown and Virginia Beach Blvd to Diamond Springs and Shore Drive.

You want to avoid anything on Virginia Beach Blvd after the London Bridge intersection to the Beach. This includes Oceana and Seatack. You also want to be careful around the Hilltop Shopping center. This area is hit and miss.

Unfortunatley, for you, these areas contain every single ounce of the limited housing under 200k in Norfolk/Virginia Beach.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 94,405 times
I wouldn't knock an entire neighborhood due to a few problem areas. I own a home in Park Place. My street is very nice, mostly homeowners that take good care and pride in their homes. You go over a block or two and it slides down the scale of desireability a bit. You go over a few blocks the other way and you're in Ghent. There are pockets in every neighborhood that are not so great and some that are great. So please, don't discount a whole neighborhood due to a few bad apples.

Revitalization is imperitive to make our neighborhoods even more desireable and to raise our property values. So don't be afraid to move to an area that is in transition. A couple years ago, the homes beside me were boarded up and eyesores. Now, they are gorgeous and my home value has risen!!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer64 View Post
I wouldn't knock an entire neighborhood due to a few problem areas. I own a home in Park Place. My street is very nice, mostly homeowners that take good care and pride in their homes. You go over a block or two and it slides down the scale of desireability a bit. You go over a few blocks the other way and you're in Ghent. There are pockets in every neighborhood that are not so great and some that are great. So please, don't discount a whole neighborhood due to a few bad apples.

Even though your street may not be that bad, if your neighborhood is, the crime, prostitution and drugs will no doubt spill over or involve your street. In your case, Park Place, its more then just a "few bad apples". Most of the neighborhood is "bad apples", and no matter how much house flippers try to make it look desirable by fixing up the boarded up crack houses and trying to sell them for 300k, its not going to help.

I used to live in Oceana, when it was still an ok neighborhood. One street in the neighborhood went down hill, and the gangs, drugs and guns from that street rolled over in to the rest of the neighborhood. Pretty soon, every one was moving out, and "bad apples" were moving in. Now the WHOLE neighborhood is mostly run down, has a serious problem with gangs and drugs.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 94,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Even though your street may not be that bad, if your neighborhood is, the crime, prostitution and drugs will no doubt spill over or involve your street. In your case, Park Place, its more then just a "few bad apples". Most of the neighborhood is "bad apples", and no matter how much house flippers try to make it look desirable by fixing up the boarded up crack houses and trying to sell them for 300k, its not going to help.

I used to live in Oceana, when it was still an ok neighborhood. One street in the neighborhood went down hill, and the gangs, drugs and guns from that street rolled over in to the rest of the neighborhood. Pretty soon, every one was moving out, and "bad apples" were moving in. Now the WHOLE neighborhood is mostly run down, has a serious problem with gangs and drugs.
I never said anything about flipping houses. Nor anything about trying to sell houses for 300k. But if you think that trying to improve one's surroundings is pointless, well that is your opinion. I have lived here for two years. I have seen my property value increase significantly as well as others on my street. The way I interpreted your post is to avoid any questionalble areas. Stick to wasp neighborhoods. Let the bad neighborhoods continue to grow and stay run down.

If you don't think trying to improve one's surroundings and their community is a good thing, then don't do it. I however think that if people don't take steps to create better living spaces for the commuinty, we are sticking our heads in the sand. By all means, stay in your 'good' neighborhood while I and others try and improve ours. So maybe, unfortunatly folks like you would want to move here in a few years and pay 10x what I paid for my home. I am only 3 blocks from Ghent. Gosh, hope nothing from there spills over onto my street. God forbid.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM

520 posts, read 954,248 times
avoid * where @ 757;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area