Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times

Advertisements

So, when I woke up this morning to check the news, I see an article by Forbes posted on Yahoo "Most and Least Family Friendly Cities"

What the article is primarily quoting is how much it cost a family to live in any given area based on the prevailing household income.

So where do I find Virgina Beach? On the worst cities list, where it takes a full 81% of household income for a family to survive. The oddest thing is, Virginia Beach is the lamest city outside of Providence, Rhode Island on the whole list. As depressed as Cleveland is, it has 3 major league teams and far more corporate presence and culture then Va Beach.

Here is our own Virginia Beach's slide

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/29/cities-family-affordable-lifestyle-real-estate-cities-family_slide_12.html?thisSpeed=3000

How many of these lists need to come out before the Hampton Roads apologists simply accept that Hampton Roads is an ass stain on the shorts of the United States. A complete waste of a deep water covered port.

Geographically, Virginia Beach/Norfolk could have been another New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore or Boston. Instead, its a festering tourist trap.

Just a couple weekends ago, I was in Silver Spring, MD, population less then 100k, and it has a downtown and corporate presence that this pit down here can only drool over. I was amazed.

Im completely dumbfounded as to why this area cant put anything together outside of replacing the sand on the beach and partnering with developers to build endless McMansions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 06:11 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Well I guess that means you are moving to Silver Spring, MD right?..... don't let the door hit ya where the good God split ya on your way out.....see ya!!!!!.......Trust me all of us lame people still living here is this ass stain of a city wont miss ya

Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Well I guess that means you are moving to Silver Spring, MD right?..... don't let the door hit ya where the good God split ya on your way out.....see ya!!!!!.......Trust me all of us lame people still living here is this ass stain of a city wont miss ya

Im still taking donations. If you are interested in assisting me in escaping at a faster rate, I will gladly accept it.

As for Virginia Beach missing me, I couldnt care less. I dont plan on ever coming back once Im gone. You can fester in this hole going no where quick.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:08 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Well I just find it funny that you compare Va Bch to Silver Springs Md......Va Bch cost of living is at 89.2% based on the records I find for 2008....but then Silver Springs is over 127% based on the US average of 100%...so Va Bch is below the US average for cost of living and Silver Springs is well above........but you complain about the cost of living in this area?

Last edited by rtandc; 07-01-2009 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,820 times
Forbes also ranked Norfolk one of the worst places for young professionals.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 AM

18 posts, read 58,098 times
Well then, enjoy living in hell. It amazes me how some people will continue to bash an area where they live. . . and then continue to live there! Idiocy I say!

If you don't like it here please stop posting on this site and take matters into your own hands. Pollute some other forum or find a way to make it financially/socially in Hampton Roads so you can be happy with your life situation.

I guarantee for every negative survey one can find a positive one. Anyone read Men's Health mag? Well, seel below.

Best Life/Men's Health magazine offers another guide to where the best places are to raise a family.
Their top picks?
  1. Honolulu, Hawaii
  2. Virginia Beach, Virginia
  3. Billings, Montana
  4. Columbus, Georgia
  5. San Diego, California
They make these claims based on the availability of good schools with favorable student-teacher ratios and above-average test scores, and the availability of museums, parks, and pediatricians. Supposedly, these places do not have expensive houses, high rates of divorces, or expensive homes.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 AM

18 posts, read 58,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Im still taking donations. If you are interested in assisting me in escaping at a faster rate, I will gladly accept it.

As for Virginia Beach missing me, I couldnt care less. I dont plan on ever coming back once Im gone. You can fester in this hole going no where quick.
You're the one who considers this to be a hole, and you are the one who appears to be festering.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Well I just find it funny that you compare Va Bch to Silver Springs Md......Va Bch cost of living is at 89.2% based on the records I find for 2008....but then Silver Springs is over 127% based on the US average of 100%...so Va Bch is below the US average for cost of living and Silver Springs is well above........but you complain about the cost of living in this area?

1. Cost of living is relative. Id rather make 70k in Manhattan, NY, then 30k in Virginia Beach, Va.
2. Cost of living figures are highly skewed, largely inaccurate, and not dependable at best.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM

290 posts, read 1,159,570 times
Silver Springs, MD ..I love it

Old 07-01-2009, 11:41 AM

63 posts, read 230,686 times
[quote=Randomdude;9549779] As depressed as Cleveland is, it has 3 major league teams and far more corporate presence and culture then Va Beach.

cleveland rocks! but only in the summer...winters are BRUTAL. how do I know? born and raised there.

next year, NBA, next year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area