Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 AM

10 posts, read 29,367 times

Advertisements

Due to the college in Wilmington (UNCW- the hottie capital of NC) Yes. It is a relatively young town but there is way more to the town than the college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM

239 posts, read 633,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvi View Post
Being a single male in Virginia Beach is great, I had a blast living there. There is tons of night life, and although the bars there may host the occasional brodeo, being non-military pretty much doubles your chances with most of the women there. Grow a goatee or a beard and go out in va beach, you'll see what I mean. If you're open to moving a little further south, I would also suggest Wilmington, North Carolina. The beaches are way nicer and less crowded. There is also a lot of really hot women. Definately worth checking out. Good luck!!!
LOL, "brodeo", I had not heard that one before. All the times I went to the bars it must have been brodeo night cause the ratios I saw were pretty horrific. I am married now so that stuff isn't important, but all I know was when I went out for the first time after moving here, the USS Whatever had just pulled into dock and Waterside was crawling with military guys, a brodeo of epic proportions. It never got much better after that. There are women here, but I would caution any young, single guy from moving to a city with one of the worst male to female ratios of any big city.

I would agree about Wilmington, NC. Granted I only went there once so can't really give a good perspective, but the downtown was awesome and the beaches were great. It was a much different feel than VA Beach.
Just for reference, here are the male to female ratios for some zip codes in VA Beach.

http://www.city-data.com/zips/23454.html
http://www.city-data.com/zips/23451.html

The ratios are pretty similar to these zip codes among most other zip codes in HR. Even until about age 20, then the number of guys spike like crazy. It evens out between 30 and 40, but almost all women here at that age are married so it doesn't really make a difference.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:05 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan21 View Post
I graduated from a small, college in the Northeast last May and currently reside in NY. I've been doing the whole corporate lifestyle for the past several months now and I can't say that it's for me. While I do enjoy NYC, I don't really think it's for me. There's just too much going on and people tend to think they're more important than they really are. I'm considering a move to a city by the beach, however, one that still has a nightlife and recent college grads as well. I was considering OBX, however, I can't imagine the nightlife being all too great when it is not busy season. Just wondering if anybody could give some opinions on a move to Virginia Beach, as well as some recommendations on places to live, etc. Also, I plan on moving down with a friend or two and more than likely would not relocate without a job lined up.

Thanks!
What part of NY do you reside in? I am from The Bronx, New York. I am in Va Beach right now is not like NYC but it is more calmer thats for sure. It is not very country neither because Va Beach is a city. There are a lot of NY people here due to the fact that Va Beach is a military city. I moved here from NYC in August, 2008.

So if you move here let me know I like talking to my New York people.

My email is gilarma@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area