U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,327 times
Default Recent College Grad - Virginia Beach?

I graduated from a small, college in the Northeast last May and currently reside in NY. I've been doing the whole corporate lifestyle for the past several months now and I can't say that it's for me. While I do enjoy NYC, I don't really think it's for me. There's just too much going on and people tend to think they're more important than they really are. I'm considering a move to a city by the beach, however, one that still has a nightlife and recent college grads as well. I was considering OBX, however, I can't imagine the nightlife being all too great when it is not busy season. Just wondering if anybody could give some opinions on a move to Virginia Beach, as well as some recommendations on places to live, etc. Also, I plan on moving down with a friend or two and more than likely would not relocate without a job lined up.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM

239 posts, read 394,135 times
If you are tired of the corporate lifestyle, VA Beach might just be the place for you, we have very little corporate presence at all . I personally hate HR so am probably a little biased (maybe a lot biased). There is definitely nightlife around. If you are a women you will love the night life, if you are male, it is pretty awful (military means huge ratio imbalance). The city is not a big recent college grad place such as places like Boston or Raleigh, many college grads leave the area for greener pastures and most of the young people tend to be military. Moving down with friends will make the place better though and having a job lined up is defintely a good idea.

I have been slammed for being too negative about Hampton Roads so on the positive side, the economy is faring better than most cities (although the jobs are low paying on average), VA Beach has one of the lowest crime rates of any big city, and being on the beach is a plus if you really like the beach.

But, I think the negatives outweigh the positives and IMO, there are many better cities for college grads, both in terms of career and quality of life. The problem is, many of those are not on the beach. So if being near the ocean and in a big city is a must, you may be limited in your choices.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:06 AM

5,517 posts, read 5,380,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post

But, I think the negatives outweigh the positives and IMO, there are many better cities for college grads, both in terms of career and quality of life. The problem is, many of those are not on the beach. So if being near the ocean and in a big city is a must, you may be limited in your choices.
If you open yourself to the west coast and gulf of mexico, there are some decent cities on the ocean that are good for college grads and quality of life.

Problem is, the op wants to get away from the hustle and bustle. That definatley rules out most places that have a good business atmosphere.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 AM

1,270 posts, read 2,549,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan21 View Post
I graduated from a small, college in the Northeast last May and currently reside in NY. I've been doing the whole corporate lifestyle for the past several months now and I can't say that it's for me. While I do enjoy NYC, I don't really think it's for me. There's just too much going on and people tend to think they're more important than they really are. I'm considering a move to a city by the beach, however, one that still has a nightlife and recent college grads as well. I was considering OBX, however, I can't imagine the nightlife being all too great when it is not busy season. Just wondering if anybody could give some opinions on a move to Virginia Beach, as well as some recommendations on places to live, etc. Also, I plan on moving down with a friend or two and more than likely would not relocate without a job lined up.

Thanks!
OBX has very little nightlife even during peak season so that area would not suit you at all and the local job market around OBX is slim at best and everyone still lives under the good old boy system so unless you have lived down there all of your life finding a better then average job is a waste of time because they are not offered to anyone that is not a long time local.

Va Bch has pleantly of nightlife but as stated already if you are a single male, you will be part of a very large male ratio compared to single females. But not being military might help you out as I know many of the 20'ish age females around town dont want anything to do with military men

Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 PM

239 posts, read 394,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Va Bch has pleantly of nightlife but as stated already if you are a single male, you will be part of a very large male ratio compared to single females. But not being military might help you out as I know many of the 20'ish age females around town dont want anything to do with military men
In theory this is true, but during my single years here it didn't really seem to matter. There may be a small percentage of women that won't date military, but even then you are competing with a large number of other non-military guys.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:58 PM

10 posts, read 16,446 times
Being a single male in Virginia Beach is great, I had a blast living there. There is tons of night life, and although the bars there may host the occasional brodeo, being non-military pretty much doubles your chances with most of the women there. Grow a goatee or a beard and go out in va beach, you'll see what I mean. If you're open to moving a little further south, I would also suggest Wilmington, North Carolina. The beaches are way nicer and less crowded. There is also a lot of really hot women. Definately worth checking out. Good luck!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:34 PM

165 posts, read 375,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvi View Post
Being a single male in Virginia Beach is great, I had a blast living there. There is tons of night life, and although the bars there may host the occasional brodeo, being non-military pretty much doubles your chances with most of the women there. Grow a goatee or a beard and go out in va beach, you'll see what I mean. If you're open to moving a little further south, I would also suggest Wilmington, North Carolina. The beaches are way nicer and less crowded. There is also a lot of really hot women. Definately worth checking out. Good luck!!!
I second Wilmington, NC. Lived there for six years and had to relocate here for work. I would have never left and will return as soon as I'm able.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 PM

103 posts, read 241,355 times
I moved to HR as a single man in his 20's and met both of my wives here, so it worked out for me.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:34 AM

1,270 posts, read 2,549,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit View Post
I moved to HR as a single man in his 20's and met both of my wives here, so it worked out for me.

2 wives...wow I did not know that was legal in VA......... and why any man would want two wives is beyond me, one is more then enough for me........LOL sorry I couldn’t resist

Last edited by rtandc; 07-10-2009 at 06:53 AM..

Old 07-10-2009, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
I second Wilmington, NC. Lived there for six years and had to relocate here for work. I would have never left and will return as soon as I'm able.
Is Wilmington a relatively young city? Most people in their 20s, early 30s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area