Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM

11 posts, read 42,071 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Norfolk in August and was looking for rentals/realty that were student friendly... meaning they'd rent to students that pay for rent with financial aid/loans, etc.

I came upon Boardwalk Realty that have a lot of properties on Ocean View. I have also read the previous threads here but they were dated back to 2008. What is the current status of the Ocean View area, particularly mid West Ocean View? Still an iffy area?

Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:50 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Not as bad as it once was but still pretty bad, you can look up the stats by using this link and decide for yourself

http://gis.norfolk.gov/crimeviewcommunity/default.asp (broken link)

Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 PM

10 posts, read 29,337 times
Ocean view definitely isn't as bad as it once was, but that isn't saying much. I actually rented a house in ocean view in January this year because I thought it was safe enough due to efforts made by the city to clean itself up. I was WRONG. The first week I was there the seven eleven not even 100ft from my house was robbed. It also turned out that one of my neighbors was selling crack which meant all kinds of shady characters coming and going. After he was busted for selling he left and was replaced by a couple who beat the crap out of each other on a regular basis in their front lawn. So many bad things went on in the three months that I lived there that I couldn't even come close to listing it all in this post and yes I did end up breaking my lease because I couldn't stand to live there anymore. The day I moved out of the house would have been the happiest day of my life if it hadn't been for that crack head who wandered in to my house as I was moving some of my things in to the moving truck and had to be asked nicely to leave at gunpoint. The bottom line is, Ocean view is TRASH, plain and simple. Do yourself a favor and stay away from ocean view. Check out Ghent.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Not as bad as it once was but still pretty bad, you can look up the stats by using this link and decide for yourself

CrimeView Community Incident Map (http://gis.norfolk.gov/crimeviewcommunity/default.asp - broken link)
Thanks for the replies. This crime map is a great feature. And I have been looking elsewhere that may be safer. Thanks again!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 14,201 times
Question about West Ocean View Avenue....I was there looking for a place in july and fell in love with the fact that the beach would be our backyard. I guess I loved the private beach feel and did not care to stay in crowded va beach, chicks or sandbridge. I also loved Willoughby elementary and was impressed by their high test scores for my 7 yr. old son. However I also have heard mixed things. half great die hard lovers of the area, and half terrible disenchanting opinions. One couple I met lived there 8 years and loved where they were but the last man I spoke to renting a place by Bayview said to stay away and the further down West Ocean View I go, the better. Can anyone specifically tell me about the 1200 block of w. ocean view right by willoughby elementary?

Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 AM

388 posts, read 855,801 times
Your best bet is to just stay away from Ocean View!! Ghent area isn't bad just alot of gays and Jews and college students! Also on the otherside of O.D.U. well I should say past the R.R. overpass.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:49 PM

I finally made the move to Norfolk in September. I do stay off of East Ocean View and I have to say it isn't as bad as people put it out to be. As if with anywhere you have to watch your surroundings and be conscious of what's going on. Of course if you find yourself hanging out on the street you might run into trouble. If you drive up and down the Ave after dark, you will see the spots where the trouble frequents. I really don't care if it's OV or Ghent, crime can happen anywhere. You live where you feel comfortable and can afford. If the issues of OV are too much for you to deal with then don't move to the area. And like before do look at the crime reports to get a generalization as well but the ultimate decision is yours.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
From where are you going to be moving from?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:10 AM

im moving from atlanta georgia to finish some schooling at Regent University. My son and I wouldve stayed on campus but hes got an array of respiratory disorders, so upon doctor advice, we need to be close to the ocean and away from growing things, pollen, and environmental allergies. Beach living is much better for his health and well being. Coming off the exit from hampton, last time I visited in august, we could smell the ocean air approaching ocean view. The set of apartments were affordable and they work with ODU, Regent, etc in terms of your rental payment schedule...matches up with the semester dates so that was nice. I went with my boyfriend around the area..it seemed quiet and kinda empty on that sunday. I could see though, how after dark, you may have to be careful, but maybe there is something to be said about being careful anywhere.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 AM

Rasberri, what kind of trouble happens there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area