U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 PM

120 posts, read 186,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukini2 View Post
A non-smoking section in a restaurant is like having a "non-peeing" section in a swimming pool! It won't work!
Silly comparison, I know when a restuarants is a smoking restaurant and if I don't like it I'll leave. Yet to see a sign letting me know that folks are peeing in the pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukini2 View Post
And since second hand smoke is the number one cause of cancer we ought to be happy our government is taking care of us. Not!
Not even close to correct. forces.org is a good source for more info.
The W.H.O. is a great example of how people get these skewed ideas.
They do research and include only findings in their reports that support their agenda. Here's an example. Their report on ets shows non smokers in a smoking household are 20% more likely to develop lung cancer. Also, non smokers in a smoking work place are 20% more likely to develop lung cancer.From the same research but excluded from the report is this, children of smoking parents are 22% less likely to develop lung cancer.

The truth is that all 3 of these facts are very misleading. The chance of a non smokers who is not exposed to second hand smoke is a very small fraction far less then 1%. Multiplied by 20% for those exposed and it's still an small fraction far less then 1%.

These findings fail to bridge the margin of error for their own research and if were about anything other then ets would to deemed inconclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,578,179 times
First, Moe, you're a liar. The World Health Organization skews data? Give me a break.

You were the last reply on this thread in January and you're the newest reply as of today in August. The only reason you've replied now is to bump this thread to try and get people to visit your website. Pathetic. Honestly, pathetic. People can see right through that.

I go out to eat very often and let me tell you, there's no shortage of diners in VA. Quit with your lies and get a clue. If you can't seem to come up with one, I'll lend you one of mine.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:25 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,191,883 times
I am so glad smoking got banned in resturants here! Now, the kids and I just hold our breath when we walk past someone smoking outside the door- much more doable than dealing with it inside. And no, I don't tell them to hold their breath- they do it naturally because it stinks to us. My DH is an ex-smoker and I think it bothers him just as much as it bothers the kids. If you roll your eyes at my comment, if you were to walk past a burning pile of trash, debris, building etc and you entered the smoke path- wouldn't you hold your breath? The rest of us who don't smoke aren't used to the smoke and it hurts our lungs and eyes.
By all means, continue your habit, I really don't mind. I just don't want you to FORCE me or my kids to inhale it with you and we have no choice but to breath the same air you are so please don't pollute it while next to me. Many others would agree.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
First, Moe, you're a liar. The World Health Organization skews data? Give me a break.
This is a new low for you. Every time it's less substance and more name calling. Explain why the research was cherry picked to exclude anything that did not support their agenda. Believe me, I can back up anything I write. I can't afford to error even once or that's all anyone will ever key on again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You were the last reply on this thread in January and you're the newest reply as of today in August. The only reason you've replied now is to bump this thread to try and get people to visit your website. Pathetic. Honestly, pathetic. People can see right through that.
Incorrect again. While the site is well used, very few come in from city data (and I do check) regardless of what I do here.

One tip, your not going to ever take me on by phoning it in. Come on, at least try.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I am so glad smoking got banned in resturants here! Now, the kids and I just hold our breath when we walk past someone smoking outside the door- much more doable than dealing with it inside. And no, I don't tell them to hold their breath- they do it naturally because it stinks to us. My DH is an ex-smoker and I think it bothers him just as much as it bothers the kids. If you roll your eyes at my comment, if you were to walk past a burning pile of trash, debris, building etc and you entered the smoke path- wouldn't you hold your breath? The rest of us who don't smoke aren't used to the smoke and it hurts our lungs and eyes.
Not rolling eyes yet . . . but I feel it coming on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I just don't want you to FORCE me or my kids to inhale it with you and we have no choice but to breath the same air you are so please don't pollute it while next to me.
There it is. Before the ban about 1 in 5 restaurants allowed smoking. I never forced you to use smoking restaurants. The only forcing that's going on is on the side of the pro ban guys.You are forcing private property owners to disallow the use of a lawful product. If I was able to locate that one in five, you should have had no trouble locating the other 4. I would enjoy it if 100% were smoking restaurants, but I wouldn't support it because it would be wrong and unfair. 23% of dinners smoke, but some selfish non smokers thinks there is something wrong with having 20% of restaurants allow smoking. Fortunately, I have found many non smokers that disagree with you. Some like the ban and some could care less, they don't however support it because it's wrong. They understand that they themselves could be the next victims of over reaching government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area