Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:31 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,488 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:09 AM

80 posts, read 380,875 times
some of the scenery is nice but all the construction is just making it look a tad bit awful at the moment. i think it's lost a little charm. friday and saturday night are insane. i used to work in downtown and sometimes i'd get off around midnight or 1am, and looking back on it, the way the streets were clogged were no different than today's lower east side nyc nite club scene. lots of cars and lots of loud people. but hey, if they're having fun, that's fine by me as long as they're not hurting anyone...oh wait, i saw an argument happen outside of time lounge.

i'll have to say that some of the best pizza i've eaten in the hampton roads area is at Granby St. Pizza. If it was on the corner of Market near Time Lounge, they'd probably make more money, but instead, an inferior parlor is there.

Chocollage off College Pl. isn't a bad place to hang out in for a few minutes, and I'd recommend that over that fairly new coffee shop on Granby St. near Zero's.

Rama Garden is worth visiting if you're into Thai food. Way better than Bangkok Garden.

I'm bummed Relative Theory(record store/coffee shop/venue) isn't there anymore. Why? Because I used to work there.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:56 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,023 times
I second that. Granby St. pizza is the best in Hampton Roads. The construction is ugly, but the majority will be done by 2011

Old 08-20-2009, 11:32 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermarketFantasy View Post
some of the scenery is nice but all the construction is just making it look a tad bit awful at the moment. i think it's lost a little charm. friday and saturday night are insane. i used to work in downtown and sometimes i'd get off around midnight or 1am, and looking back on it, the way the streets were clogged were no different than today's lower east side nyc nite club scene. lots of cars and lots of loud people. but hey, if they're having fun, that's fine by me as long as they're not hurting anyone...oh wait, i saw an argument happen outside of time lounge.

i'll have to say that some of the best pizza i've eaten in the hampton roads area is at Granby St. Pizza. If it was on the corner of Market near Time Lounge, they'd probably make more money, but instead, an inferior parlor is there.

Chocollage off College Pl. isn't a bad place to hang out in for a few minutes, and I'd recommend that over that fairly new coffee shop on Granby St. near Zero's.

Rama Garden is worth visiting if you're into Thai food. Way better than Bangkok Garden.

I'm bummed Relative Theory(record store/coffee shop/venue) isn't there anymore. Why? Because I used to work there.
Granby St Pizza, Blanco Pizza is the bomb.

Gustos is low cost though!

Rama Garden is good.

I fear the coffee shops will be hurt, since the state is using taxpayer money to build one to compete against the small guys. New TCC student center.

Relative Theory was cool. Wish I had gone there more. I shifted jobs so I was commuting to Newport News everyday once my downtown job layed off people (cause management was crap). I know Dave and Josh, and try to go to the Boot whenever possible (group think). Now it's a church. Too sad.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:03 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times
Is that a picture of downtown when we had the hurricane hit us?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:06 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times
When did they put in the Half Moone cruise buidling in?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
When did they put in the Half Moone cruise buidling in?
A couple years ago. It was recently ranked the #1 cruise ship port in country. #2 in the world.

Cruise passengers rate Norfolk among top 10 ports | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Miami, take a hike. Hasta la vista, Barcelona.
Norfolk ranked first in the country and second in the world, behind only Venice, Italy, in Royal Caribbean International's most recently released weekly passenger ratings of ports, city officials crowed Monday.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times
My husband and I LOVE Empire Bistro on Granby St. for dinner and drinks. The whole Waterside thing is low class in our point of view. But Empire serves our age group, wallet, and taste. Very good for middle aged folk looking for good food, drinks, and an intimate, nice atmosphere.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 PM

388 posts, read 855,977 times
Wow! I never noticed it there when we were there! We left there at the end of Jan. of this year. Thats down by the battleship isn't it? Have they finished the big parking garage next to the Y and have they started the buiding across from the Fed. Building yet? Gosh I miss it there! Did they ever figure out what to do with the Norfolk theater on Granby yet? I remember they had a shooting down there and decided to close it down for a bit. I did alot of the plumbing in that fancy place.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
Wow! I never noticed it there when we were there! We left there at the end of Jan. of this year. Thats down by the battleship isn't it? Have they finished the big parking garage next to the Y and have they started the buiding across from the Fed. Building yet? Gosh I miss it there! Did they ever figure out what to do with the Norfolk theater on Granby yet? I remember they had a shooting down there and decided to close it down for a bit. I did alot of the plumbing in that fancy place.
Yeah, the cruise ship terminal is around the corner from the batteship.

Parking garage next to the Y: Now sandwiched between two buildings. It's on the far right.

Are you talkng about the 26 story westin? that's supposed to start construction this fall. Unless you where talking about this:

The Granby Theater is still opened, they do church on Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area