Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you ride rail in hampton roads?
Yes, I'll ride 59 62.77%
No, I'd never ride. 14 14.89%
I'll ride once or twice 21 22.34%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 AM

29 posts, read 69,457 times

Advertisements

Yes, yes, yes! I am anxiously awaiting the operation of the light rail, as I have limited driving "territory!" I don't drive on the highway, & this will open new horizons for me. I also appreciate how it will (or should) get some cars off the road, resulting in less traffic & pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,102 times
The plan to deal with flooding (I heard this from them at a community meeting) is to stop the trains when it floods.

Perhaps the gov't is preparing the sheep for a huge decline in standards of living that is to come. Perhaps much of the middle class will loose their standing as our nation looses it's standing, as other countries blow past us in technology and R&D, with their smarter populations. They won't be able to continue to afford cars, and will be forced to ride public transit, taking the family out for an evening will consist of riding light rail to Shoneys.

China will buy the light rail line from HRT, and continue to operate it, as they also buy lots of real estate and American corporations.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:31 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times
Here's a guide to riding Light Rail written by a mother in Charlotte. Alll you mothers should read it We have the exact same system as Charlotte constructed two years ago.

Charlotte Smarty Pants: A Moms Guide to the New Light Rail LYNX

Quote:
About Charlotte's new light rail system: I love it! I went out yesterday (Saturday) to road-test it from a moms point of view.about Charlotte's new light rail system: I love it! I went out yesterday (Saturday) to road-test it from a moms point of view.
By Jen B

Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 PM

YouTube - The First Tide Car Is Delivered

Old 11-13-2009, 08:34 PM

YouTube - The Tide: Light Rail Vehicle

Old 11-25-2009, 06:05 AM

Chesapeake seeks to study joining light-rail line | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Quote:
So on Tuesday, the council voted 8-0 to pursue a federally funded study on the possibility of extending light-rail service to the city.
Councilman C.E. "Cliff" Hayes Jr. said he would like the study to analyze whether the system could extend to South Norfolk or Greenbrier.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 AM

43 posts, read 126,944 times
One bad thing about this is it's going to bring some trouble from Norfolk to Virginia Beach. Downtown Norfolk isn't exactly an area you'd take your family too. So when people from that area can jump on a train and come to Town Center or other parts of Virginia Beach you'll see some problems.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:29 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue82 View Post
One bad thing about this is it's going to bring some trouble from Norfolk to Virginia Beach. Downtown Norfolk isn't exactly an area you'd take your family too. So when people from that area can jump on a train and come to Town Center or other parts of Virginia Beach you'll see some problems.
You don't take your family downtown? Some really great stuff goes on downtown: plays, concerts, shopping, dining, etc.

I kinda feel like the trouble-makers you're referring to probably already have cars (since most people do around here), and could go to Town Center already if they felt like it. I don't foresee a train increasing the chances of this quite specific situation happening. Plus, who wants to go to Town Center if they're already in Downtown Norfolk?

Old 12-10-2009, 04:09 PM

43 posts, read 126,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
You don't take your family downtown? Some really great stuff goes on downtown: plays, concerts, shopping, dining, etc.

I kinda feel like the trouble-makers you're referring to probably already have cars (since most people do around here), and could go to Town Center already if they felt like it. I don't foresee a train increasing the chances of this quite specific situation happening. Plus, who wants to go to Town Center if they're already in Downtown Norfolk?

Maybe I should have been more specific. Downtown as far as waterside and Ghent area are great. What I was referring to is the area around Harbor Park and Tidewater drive. That area is high crime. I can guarantee you a lot of people around there don't have cars and a lot will jump on the light rail and come on down to Virginia Beach to get away.

I'm friends with some cops and that's there concern in regards to going into bad areas with the light rail.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Thinkblue82, downtown is a great place to be and has many things for a family to do! The train does not go through the hoood, and even if it did who would commit a crime using LR as a getaway vehicle? The police wuld be at the next statio waiting for them to disembark. Be for real. I'm tired of that "norfolk is dangerous, dont let it spread to VB" total crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area