U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Will you ride rail in hampton roads?
Yes, I'll ride 59 62.77%
No, I'd never ride. 14 14.89%
I'll ride once or twice 21 22.34%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,555 posts, read 2,700,494 times

Advertisements

in Hampton Roads if it's extended to a regional transit system covering all the 7 cities and is efficient, on time, and can take you from your home, to work, and back?

Yes or no? Give reasons!

HRT's "The Tide"

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/LRV20IMAGE_Blue_Gray2020copy.jpg (broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM

18,255 posts, read 17,635,017 times
They would not have one that covered my route, but even if they did, I'd not take it. I go to the gym every day at lunch, and I'm not ever giving up that freedom.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,555 posts, read 2,700,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They would not have one that covered my route, but even if they did, I'd not take it. I go to the gym every day at lunch, and I'm not ever giving up that freedom.
lol, eventually it will go to chesapeake

Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 PM

72 posts, read 163,119 times
I think I would at least try it out. I dont think I would use it to commute to work, but I would definately use it to go to the Harbor Fest or to take a ride on the Spirit of Norfolk.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,741,865 times
I think once people understand it's schedule/stops, it will be used quite consistently. Pack up the kids and go to the beach without worrying about parking would be a plus for many.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 AM

127 posts, read 168,138 times
Im not sure....my car is like my comfort zone lol I dont like being grouped around tons of people either

Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,644,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I think once people understand it's schedule/stops, it will be used quite consistently. Pack up the kids and go to the beach without worrying about parking would be a plus for many.

That is the biggest reason the beach is looking at this so closely and may kill it before it is all said and done.........

We all know how packed the beach is in the summer time, but the crowds can be controlled by the number of guest the hotels can hold and the number of available parking spaces that are down at the ocean front....The fear the city has about light rail is it cant control the number of people that ride the train and the powers that be have major concerns that the oceanfront would become too over crowded and the cops would not be able to maintain safe control of the area

Old 08-14-2009, 08:09 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,741,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
That is the biggest reason the beach is looking at this so closely and may kill it before it is all said and done.........

We all know how packed the beach is in the summer time, but the crowds can be controlled by the number of guest the hotels can hold and the number of available parking spaces that are down at the ocean front....The fear the city has about light rail is it cant control the number of people that ride the train and the powers that be have major concerns that the oceanfront would become too over crowded and the cops would not be able to maintain safe control of the area
I don't believe that fro a minute. They know that without the amount expected for tourist season that the beachfront businesses will lose money. What better way to get more local people down to the beach.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 AM

662 posts, read 1,377,946 times
I've always wanted to ride in a train, so I'd try out light rail a couple times. But it's nothing I'd make a habit out of.

I've still not figured out how I'm suppose to get to the light rail station nearest me because it's too far to walk. Are they going to have large parking lots at stations near residential developments so people can drive there and take the train where they need to go or is it a system primarily for walkers and tourists near the stops?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,644,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I don't believe that fro a minute. They know that without the amount expected for tourist season that the beachfront businesses will lose money. What better way to get more local people down to the beach.
What? The beach businesses would not be losing money, no one is talking about keeping the tourist away from what is down their now, the hotels would be just as full as they are now and the same for the parking lots with or without light rail...you said it yourself light rail would not keep people away it would add additional people down at the ocean front, most just for the day....so if you want to talk about money, daily visitors that rode the light rail to the ocean front would add very little $$$$ to the mix....they are not staying at a hotel, they are not paying for parking etc ..so money wise they would not be adding allot over what is spent down there today tax wise except for maybe food and drink.......the problem is they just have to have some way to control the influx of daily visitors from the train, anyplace can get over crowded quickly if you can not control the number...(think about the malls at Christmas time)...why do you think only a certain number of parking spaces are built at businesses, why do you think every business has a set number of people that is allowed in at one time per the Fire Marshall......

Also remember this is the beach we are talking about they could care less about us locals finding a way down to the beach, they get their money from taxes from the hotels etc.

I suggest you attend a few of the town hall meetings because that is the biggest hurdle being talked about right now...in fact the latest drawings has light rail stopping around Hilltop just for that reason.....The Police Dept is stretched so thin right now they were not able to put the number of cops at the ocean front this year that they normally put down there in the summer time and it is showing because the crime stats are up this year at the oceanfront possibly because of fewer cops.(at least that is what the police chief was trying to sell at the last meeting)...Sure the long term goal would be taking it all of the way to the beach but I think the figures the police chief showed at one of the meetings was that the department would have to increase the numbers of officers by something like 30%...in order to do that they would have to change the city charter and increase the payroll budget by X numbers of dollars by raising taxes X number of dollars, it would also take a number of years just to hire and train that many new officers etc......You should be able to find all of this out on line if you look around, heck it might even be on the city web site I have not looked........But ask yourself this...does it make sense for your taxes to go up a couple hundred dollars a year so you can pay to ride a train to and from the beach for the day when you could just pay to park at one of the parking lots........Security cost (cops, security guards, fire PRS etc) is always one of the biggest long term cost when you are talking about budgeting for things like this....

Last edited by rtandc; 08-14-2009 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area