Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times

Advertisements

I was forewarned, just taking abit to sink in. For us, it was this or DH was going to be jobless...he essentially makes more money working less hours. He used to do 72 hrs a week (fire with shift work) and now he will do 40 hr work weeks for about the same money.
Yea, we are heading to the KOA next week. Our camper is a new Keystone Cougar so it isn't really camping. Rent at the KOA will be 650 a month, so that's doable. That will give us some time to pay down debt and relook at things later. Our bills are currently set at paying a 1000.00 mortgage not double that!
The resort finally moved us to a different unit. This one has been renovated and doable. However, I would never do business with this place again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I do think it is very pretty here, the heat and humidity aren't as bad as Houston's or Orlando's...so I'm alright.
THINGS ARE LOOKING UP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 05:28 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Yea, we are heading to the KOA next week. Our camper is a new Keystone Cougar so it isn't really camping. Rent at the KOA will be 650 a month, so that's doable. The resort finally moved us to a different unit. This one has been renovated and doable. However, I would never do business with this place again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I do think it is very pretty here, the heat and humidity aren't as bad as Houston's or Orlando's...so I'm alright.
THINGS ARE LOOKING UP!
Well there ya have it..things are working out. BTW..we just bought a new Heartland North Country TT..grew outta the old one.
KOA shouldn't be too bad, since the kids are going back to school.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
I was forewarned, just taking abit to sink in. For us, it was this or DH was going to be jobless...he essentially makes more money working less hours. He used to do 72 hrs a week (fire with shift work) and now he will do 40 hr work weeks for about the same money.
Yea, we are heading to the KOA next week. Our camper is a new Keystone Cougar so it isn't really camping. Rent at the KOA will be 650 a month, so that's doable. That will give us some time to pay down debt and relook at things later. Our bills are currently set at paying a 1000.00 mortgage not double that!
The resort finally moved us to a different unit. This one has been renovated and doable. However, I would never do business with this place again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

THINGS ARE LOOKING UP!

I know KOA is giving you a special monthly rate but don't forget to ask about the Service rate, they normally give 20% discount to police and fire personal so maybe you can talk them down to at least somewhere in that 550-600 dollar a month range....every little bit helps

Last edited by rtandc; 08-20-2009 at 06:55 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 09:44 PM

14 posts, read 29,568 times
Gosh, I've stayed at most of the RCI places in Williamsburg & they have all been wonderful! Sorry you have had such a bad experience. I would love to know where you are staying.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 AM

My battle now is I don't have a permanent address. The schools that I am enrolling the kids into want to mark us as homeless...lol. We make 108K annually and are going to be considered homeless- go figure! I think its funny. Then they asked why the camper and not an apt...I explained that our mortgage back in CO plus the rent here would be my entire paycheck as a teacher. That's ridiculous! So, why not go cheap until the house sells and utilize our camper for the time being? We can also use this time to rejuggle finances so we can afford the higher rent without spending every dime we make. Not to mention with the economy, a number of my credit cards have had their limits reduced or closed by the credit card companies hurting my credit score. We no longer have the 700 credit score, it got as low as 595 last month! Talk about frustrating!!!! So, who knows what dive we would be allowed to rent! It will all work out in the long run.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
My battle now is I don't have a permanent address. The schools that I am enrolling the kids into want to mark us as homeless...lol. We make 108K annually and are going to be considered homeless- go figure! I think its funny. Then they asked why the camper and not an apt...I explained that our mortgage back in CO plus the rent here would be my entire paycheck as a teacher. That's ridiculous! So, why not go cheap until the house sells and utilize our camper for the time being? We can also use this time to rejuggle finances so we can afford the higher rent without spending every dime we make. Not to mention with the economy, a number of my credit cards have had their limits reduced or closed by the credit card companies hurting my credit score. We no longer have the 700 credit score, it got as low as 595 last month! Talk about frustrating!!!! So, who knows what dive we would be allowed to rent! It will all work out in the long run.

They will have to if you dont have a mailing address, Get yourself a post office box from the local post office and you will be set, your DH may have the same problem with work as Fire personal I would guess would be required to have a permanent address and phone number and I am sure they will not accept the campgrounds address as permanant

Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 PM

371 posts, read 1,190,954 times
I don't think that a P.O. Box will count with the schools as a permanant address. They will need to have proof of residency (somewhere) in order to enroll their children in the correct zoned school. We had to jump through hoops to prove that we really lived where we said we did. In fact, I think we had to take in our lease and a utility bill in our name.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:27 AM

Yup, you hit it right on the nose Cin. Thank goodness I am an employee of the district because they are trying to work with me. Due to my issues, I went ahead and looked at a place and put a deposit down at Monticello at Powhatan for a 3 bedroom townhome. Bummer part is its not available till November 13th. This will allow the kids to attend Maotoka and Berkeley rather than Norge and Toano. Next hurdle will be RV storage. Would like to find a secure place to store it around 100.00. Any suggestions?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:17 AM

371 posts, read 1,190,954 times
Sure, store it at my house. As long as you dont mind it taking a little vacation now and then. lol!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:39 PM

388 posts, read 855,977 times
Sorry to hear that your having a tough time in Williamsburg! Its totally opposite down here in the little town of Lucedale. Alot of people live in rvs or campers still and I don't believe they are marked as homeless!
We miss it up there in Norfolk! We moved out of there due to the job situation because of word that it wouldn't be hard to find a job down here...yea right...I'm working at Dominoes now...From plumber to pizza delivery...yea...
I hope things get ALOT better for you up there! I'm jealous though...you live near Bush Gardens and Kings Dominion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area