Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:35 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,801,932 times

Advertisements

If you go and plead not guilty and give your reasons (kids distracted you, car you are not used to driving etc) the courts are very good at giving you a break. I went to court many times in VA Beach and almost always got the ticket reduced. ( I was wild in my younger navy days) Dress nicely, take your kids if you want so they see you do have kids. ( I took a friends baby one time with me and got a ticket reduced to 10.00)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 03:54 PM

91 posts, read 374,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
You could show up to court naked and really drunk and I bet the judge forgets all about the traffic infraction.
Off topic but I recently watched an episode of American Justice on A&E (big fan of true crime shows) that was based around a young man who said he pled guilty of murder in the 1970's because he had stolen tires in his trunk. He said he figured the cops would be so concerned with the murder case that they'd forget all about the stolen tires in his trunk.

Spent the next 25+ years in prison.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:40 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,694,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
We have strict driving laws because so many people have been killed here each year. Wish no one would die, but then........
Virginia sees dramatic drop in highway deaths | TraumaSurvivor.org (http://www.traumasurvivor.org/virginia-sees-dramatic-drop-in-highway-deaths - broken link)
because people here does not know how to drive.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 AM

542 posts, read 991,094 times
Just tell the judge you were singing along to Journey, he'll have to know you weren't in your right mind.

On a serious note, if this is your first ticket they might(emphasis on might) reduce the ticket down to a level just below reckless driving. You would still have a speeding ticket, but it wouldn't go on a permanent criminal record. How to do that??? I don't know, never had to. Maybe being completely honest about the situation and throwing yourself on the mercy of the court will garner sympathy from the judge. And if there was heavy traffic also speeding you could argue that you were going with the flow and did not notice how fast traffic was flowing. Driving school is another option. It would be worth the drive to not have that criminal record. I wish you the best in whatever happens!

Old 08-31-2009, 04:03 AM

612 posts, read 1,842,872 times
Well you will most likely pay a hefty fine. Perhaps you could plead not guilty, state your case, and then offer to do some say community service, driving school, etc. Then you could get the points off your license, record swiped clean, and/or a reduced fine.

I've been to traffic court twice. Once for speeding and the other for no stopping/no insurance. Speeding I told the judge I would do driving school and he waived the points after I completed a few hours (can't remember).

Just get on the judges good side, call him "Sir", "Ma'am", Magistrate (sp?), etc. Dress nicely. Present evidence (if you have any).

Just stay positive and maybe you'll get out of this with less pain than you expect (i.e. the misdemeanor). Good luck!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
because people here does not know how to drive.
True...if people didn't drink & drive, didn't speed, used their directionals, etc. etc. We wouldn't be discussing this issue.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,015,934 times
its a ticket folks don't scare the poor girl half to death......reckless driving(speeding general) is a common ticket in Va...if your driving record is clean as you say it is and only speed was involved and nothing else like unsafe lane changes or bad weather etc then depending on the mood of the judge that day you can expect to pay somewhere between that 250-500 bucks plus court cost....I would be surprised if the judge suspends your license if your driving record is clean....
25 over is 25 over so don't expect the judge to drop it to a lower charge like improper driving....not saying the judge wont but don't expect it to happen....If the judge offers some type of driving school etc you better take it as it may help you insurance wise because your rates are going up.....

Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM

9 posts, read 38,700 times
Thanks to everyone that responded (even the non-topic posts).

Please understand that I am NOT trying to get away with something; I realize I was speeding, I realize that singing with my daughter will not "get me off" but it was a distraction. No, I was still speeding, I understand that and I acknowledge there is a price to be paid. But ruining my life over it, isn't exactly what I had in mind.

I have my MD driving record (certified copy) and I will attend an online program even prior to going to court. If my insurance goes up, so be it, I'm doing everything humanly possibly to make up for my mistake.

I can't help it that I"m terrified; I've never been to court as a defendant (other than my divorce) and it scares me. It scares me that they run criminal and traffic court at the same time. I havent' wanted to drive since the ticket - yes, I"m that freaked out. Do I know the dangers of speed and unsafe driving - VERY VERY WELL. I am also a motorcyclist and have lost a few friends, so I am very aware

Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 AM

88 posts, read 310,228 times
I got a reckless driving speeding ticket a few years ago on my way to work before, but my speedometer was broke. I got a lawyer, had to get my speedometer fixed, and went to court. The dumb judge made some comment like "you should know you are driving fast" even when they showed him proof my speedometer was broke and was fixed. When you are driving on a highway (and yes, that speedometer was broke for a while) it's really hard to tell how fast you are going honestly. But he made me go to driving school (took course online), and had to come back on next court date to show him I passed course and then they reduced ticket down to non-reckless, paid it, and that was the end of it. I would recommend a lawyer- go talk to someone, most will give you a free consultation. They may tell you to go get your speedometer calibrated to see if it was off at all (making you go faster), and that may give you a case. I wish I could remember the name of my lawyer to give you, but it was over 6 years ago, can't remember. I think I paid him $400 back then. Hope this helps you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area