Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:13 PM

29 posts, read 99,168 times

Advertisements

What's the scoop on crime in downtown Norfolk? I understand a city is a city and there will be petty crime. Is it generally safe in the Freemason area, Boush St., McArthur Center area etc? Safe to me is being able to walk, even after dark, and not feel like I'm in Beirut Lebanon circa 1980. I'm exaggerating a bit, but overall, is it safe?

Also, I'm thinking of renting a flat on the first floor of 388 Boush st. I'm not too excited for the first floor due to increased chance of break-in. Should that be a big concern in that location? I'm surprised at the number of first floor flats available at that location. Makes me wonder why everyone is moving out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 05:43 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,830 times
People move out, more move in. Crime is not bad at all and police presence has been greatly improved since a homicide at the club earlier this year. Nobody is going to break into your home in downtown Norfolk and if they do they'll be caught in five seconds max. 388 Boush is relatively new and the demand isn't that high so that's why there's so much availability. You said it all. A city is a city and there will be petty crime, but I'd be very surprised if someone broke into your home. Also your car is safe at 388 Boush because of the enclosed parking.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,846 times
I don't think there's an absurd amount of crime in downtown, especially in Freemason. I've never had a problem at night down there. If you have street smarts, use 'em and you'll be fine.

My guess as to why there are a number of available 1st floor places on Boush would be because of noise. Boush is a pretty busy street, during the day at least. And if you've got bars on your windows, I doubt break-ins will be a cause for concern.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadInVA View Post
What's the scoop on crime in downtown Norfolk? I understand a city is a city and there will be petty crime. Is it generally safe in the Freemason area, Boush St., McArthur Center area etc? Safe to me is being able to walk, even after dark, and not feel like I'm in Beirut Lebanon circa 1980. I'm exaggerating a bit, but overall, is it safe?

Also, I'm thinking of renting a flat on the first floor of 388 Boush st. I'm not too excited for the first floor due to increased chance of break-in. Should that be a big concern in that location? I'm surprised at the number of first floor flats available at that location. Makes me wonder why everyone is moving out.
Absolutely no way would I live on a first floor appt in Norfolk, in that area. In fact I don't know of ANY areas of Norfolk that I'd do that. And safe to walk after dark? I guess that depends on your sense of adventure, but I'd rather not, myself. I really do love McArthur Center, and the Granby St. area, but alone at night, nope.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 PM

The median household income in downtown Norfolk/ Ghent is $175,000. It's mainly full of doctors/ surgeons who work at EVMS and Norfolk General, ODU professors, and businessmen and women who work in an office building. At night the clubgoers and nightlife seekers come out. Sometimes they can get rowdy, but if your not drunk and outside after 11PM, you won't be bothered.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,820 times
I live in one of the neighborhoods mentioned. I come and go at random times, all the time.

In the past three or four years I know there was a robbery of people that were coming from Granby, but they were drunk so couldn't relay anything. Then there was a guy on his porch in Freemason (early in the AM) sitting there and some dudes robbed him and hit him hard enough to send him to the ER. But not sure if he was drunk.

Residents complained to the police about rowdy people crossing through the neighborhood. Police stopped 8 people on another night and .. .they all were residents of the neighborhood.

More than our fair share of vehicle break-ins.

Not sure about home burglaries but you can look up that data online. Pilot Online has it in a database you can search.

There is a fair number of places available because it's expensive, the places aren't large, and people are leaving the area or something. Or they overbuilt. Probably both.

Being drunk stumbling home is probably not a good idea, but we all know that makes you vulnerable and leads to robberies and babies and who knows what else.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 AM

29 posts, read 99,168 times
Interesting viewpoints on the crime downtown.
I decided to rent a condo in The Row at Ghent.
Any opinions on the building or location (1400 Granby st)?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,846 times
1400 Granby seems like it's in that weird middle ground between Ghent and the projects. You have the cemetary and VB Blvd which kinda act like buffers between the two, but I'd be more cautious when out-and-about, especially when you're alone or at night since you don't have Ghent on all sides like you would a few blocks West.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:51 AM

You'll be fine.. Just try and stay in Ghent and Downtown, there's a grocery store on 21st street or you can go the one on Boush Street, you live right down the street from the world's famous Doumars diner, enjoy your time in Norfolk.. Come back on citydata please and tell us how you like it.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:31 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadInVA View Post
Interesting viewpoints on the crime downtown.
I decided to rent a condo in The Row at Ghent.
Any opinions on the building or location (1400 Granby st)?

Lot of homeless and mentally unstable people around that area....At night they sleep in the bushes next to the elementary school...or in your car if you leave it unlocked.....during the day time they walk the streets....a favorite hangout of theirs seems to be the Rally's on the corner of Monticello and Princess Anne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area