Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,483 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Chesapeake or the surrounding areas in the near future, or whenever jobs present themselves. We have 2 children, ages 5 and 6. We're traveling there for a 4 day weekend 10/9-12 to see the area. What should we be putting on our itinerary for the trip? On Sunday we'll be visiting a church in the area and probably spending some time with some friends that moved there last year. Since I'm not exactly sure which area we'll be moving to, and from what I've read on these forums Chesapeake is quite a large place, where should we focus our time?

We have never relocated, so its kind of exciting and stressful at the same time! Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by teeny0584; 09-26-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
Chesapeake is total suburbia and it is huge. So it sounds like you do not have jobs lined up or transfers so the area is wide open.

You are going to have to be a little more specific about your lifestyle. Hampton Roads includes Va Beach, Norfolk, Newport News, Hampton, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Isle of Wight, Suffolk and even Williamsburg (might have missed one). There is something for everyone here - rural lifestyles (Parts of Va Beach, Suffolk, or Smithfield), suburbia (can fit every city), beachy (Va Beach), city life (Norfolk), artsy (Norfolk or Hampton), small town (Churchland area or the Olde Towne part of Portsmouth).

You have school age children, so that is important too. Most people on here will tell you Va Beach or York County has the best schools, but there are good schools in almost every city.

As a rule of thumb, it makes the most sense to try to live on the same side of the water as where you work. You want to TRY to avoid daily tunnel commutes.

When you come to visit, I imagine you want to see the touristy areas - Va Beach. Downtown Norfolk has Nauticus and we could go on and on about fun places to visit.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:14 AM

239 posts, read 633,367 times
Yep, Chesapeake itself is very suburban. If you are set on Chesapeake, where you look will depend on your lifestlye and also how much you can afford. The Great Bridge, Hickory, and Grassfield school districts and areas are probably considered the best, but come with a higher price tag. If you give us some more info about what is important to you we can help. Things like your interests and your ideal neighborhood.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 PM

18 posts, read 82,560 times
Default Interviewing for a job there - would like recommendations as well!

My husband and I looking at either Chesapeake or VB...but we want a house on the water (not the ocean...just somewhere that we can dock our boat in our backyard)...it's a 24ft boat - so some of those lake communities in the area wouldn't work (only paddle and/or fishing boats). Are there any lake communities where we can have a waterfront home with a larger boat? I know we can dock at many of the area marinas, but we really want it in our backyard...but I'm very unfamiliar with the various waterways in the area. We have 2 kids - 9 and 11, so schools are very important. Also...are there any travel soccer leagues in the area for my 11 yr old daughter?? Gotta make a decision in the next couple of weeks!! Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area