U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,983 times
Default Virginia beach VS Raleigh, NC-- (einy meiny miny mo)

I have the unique opportunity of being transfered by my company from Northern New Jersey to either of these two locations. Having never visited either of them I was hoping to gain a better picture of what these areas have to offer.

A little about myself- I am a single male in my early 30's. I love live music venues, local coffee houses, and a thriving art scene. I am looking for a good nightlife scene as well and friendly locals.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,556 posts, read 2,634,285 times
If you were looking for a job, I'd tell you Raleigh, since they are growing much faster than Virginia Beach. But since you already have a job lined up, Virginia Beach for sure. Been to Raleigh, it's pretty cool, but it's not great for young people. When I was there I was very very bored, and just stayed in the house.

The thing about Virginia Beach is that it isn't the central city in it's metro. Virginia Beach is surrounded by six other medium sized cities. That's the beauty of it. If something isn't happening in the Beach, you can go to Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, etc. I'm a male in my 20s and you can party in downtown Norfolk, the VaBeach Oceanfront, Old Towne Portsmouth, Chesapeake has some clubs, etc. Live music venues, for big venues we have the Verizon Wireless Ampitheater, Ntelos Pavillion, Chrylser Hall, Scope Arena, Hampton Colliseum, etc. For small, intimate venues you have the Sandler Center, Little Theater of Norfolk, Blakleys, 40th street stage, etc. Local coffee houses are all over, downtown Portsmouth and Norfolk's ghent neighborhood, the Virginia Arts Festival is headquarterd here and has year round arts. Everyones friendly. I go with Vabeach

OH and can't forget the awesome fact that there is water everywhere!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 PM

40 posts, read 125,533 times
not sure about the hampton roads area...BUT, i did grow up in NC and I know Raleigh reallywelll...can't compare to va beach, but i will say that raleigh is soooooo fun! lots of single around...if you want something different, youcan go to chapel hill or durham...or you can go to the beach or the mountains for a night! lots of options!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,556 posts, read 2,634,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledownmom View Post
not sure about the hampton roads area...BUT, i did grow up in NC and I know Raleigh reallywelll...can't compare to va beach, but i will say that raleigh is soooooo fun! lots of single around...if you want something different, youcan go to chapel hill or durham...or you can go to the beach or the mountains for a night! lots of options!
chapel hill or durham vs. norfolk or portsmouth or newport news or chesapeake or williamsburg and busch gardens?? I'll take Hampton Roads.. lol. Virginia Beach prolly has more to do in it's city limits than Raliegh, Chapel Hill, andDurham combined.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:31 AM

374 posts, read 534,366 times
"love live music venues, local coffee houses, and a thriving art scene."
go to Raleigh/Durham

"I am looking for a good nightlife scene as well and friendly locals"
go to Virginia Beach

Hampton Roads has a much "harder edge" than Raleigh; there is much more military in HR and it's generally a more conservative (republican) area. More of a nightclub scene. If you like beaches, boats, partying, etc... this is the place. Much closer to amusement parks like Bush Gardens and historic areas of Va. Much more crime.

The Raleigh area has a much more southern feel, but is less conservative (politically) than Hampton Roads. There are 3 major universities, so college students will dominate the party scene. Much more art activity and many more cultural happenings ("creative class" demographic group) than in Hampton Roads, mostly due to the universities. Less of a party scene.

Depends on what you like to do--I've lived in both and found more to do and was less bored in Raleigh because I like the arts (and lower crime), but to each his or her own.

It would really be good if you could somehow visit both places before deciding. They are only about a 3-4 hour drive apart.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 5,983 times
I will try to visit both areas in the coming weeks, but based on the descriptions I've been recieving Raleigh sounds more of a fit for me. I think the music and arts are more of an interest than the nightlife is, and I'm sure there are bars to be found in Raleigh as well.

Thanks for all the input

Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 AM

42 posts, read 57,502 times
Raleigh all the way! We moved here from Raleigh 3 years ago and miss it terribly. Everything is nicer even when you compare Virginia Beach. My husband and I both attended college in Raleigh, got married there and bought our first house. We would love to go back.

Don't get me wrong Hampton Roads has some nice points, but there is no comparison. I can get specific if you need me too-good luck!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:55 AM

2,041 posts, read 2,395,400 times
Raleigh!!!

HR does not offer what you are looking for.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:20 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,549,759 times
Virginia beach VS Raleigh, NC....really not that big of a difference both are nice cities.......Va Bch does have the beach/ocean if that is a big importance to you...other then that it is pretty much a wash....

Old 10-11-2009, 07:45 AM

239 posts, read 394,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkwell77 View Post
I will try to visit both areas in the coming weeks, but based on the descriptions I've been recieving Raleigh sounds more of a fit for me. I think the music and arts are more of an interest than the nightlife is, and I'm sure there are bars to be found in Raleigh as well.

Thanks for all the input
I think Raleigh would be a better fit for you as well. First of all, Raleigh housing is much much cheaper than HR. Also, as a single male in your 30s, you would be pretty miserable going to the bars and clubs in HR. The military means the ratios are horrible, I have heard the worst in the country for big cities. There is nightlife in both cities, but the nightlife here is dominated by the macho drunk thug type.

Look at any ratings for young professionals and Raleigh dominates over any of the cities in this area. The only thing that is here and not in Raleigh is the beach and you can also drive a few hours from Raleigh if you need the occasional beach fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area